Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I have the 12,9" iPad Pro, 3rd gen with I think 256 GB. It's running the latest version of iOS 16 and it's still very smooth most of the time, but I have an issue with what some people told me are RAM reloads (I think that's the term).

So basically, when I leave apps, and come back to them, they reload. This can be extremely annoying (especially when you do a lot of multi-tasking). I also have surely over 100 open tabs at all times and have dozens of tab groups. Last time I counted I had almost 140 tabs open. Maybe it's even more right now.

From what I've read this model I have should have 4 GB of RAM.

What do you believe is a good amount of RAM to not have these reloads anymore? I'd basically be buying a new iPad just because of this. But it should be future-proof for a good time as well. My current one is 5 years old and I feel like I picked it up yesterday. Wouldn't be bad if the next one lasted a little bit longer.

PS: I'm looking at this list to find out about their RAM capacity: https://everymac.com/systems/apple/ipad/index-ipad-specs.html You can see that often, with increased storage (usually 1+ TB) also comes increased memory.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
140 tabs you say? In that case, the safari would need to be rewritten To accomodate such heavy use of tabs. /s

Seriously tho, your minimum RAM should be 16GB. Unfortunately, Apple ties the RAM with storage capacity, meaning if you want more RAM, you must buy the top of the line extremely expensive models.

Even then, Safari may unload a tab automatically for other reasons, such as thinking the tab consumes too much energy, or tab becomes unresponsive While inactive. iPadOS being iOS variant, the memory purge is also more aggressive compared to macOS (or windows and Linux for that matter). All of this means you cannot completely eliminate RAM reload for iPad, but only mitigate it By having more.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
140 tabs you say? In that case, the safari would need to be rewritten To accomodate such heavy use of tabs. /s

Seriously tho, your minimum RAM should be 16GB. Unfortunately, Apple ties the RAM with storage capacity, meaning if you want more RAM, you must buy the top of the line extremely expensive models.

Even then, Safari may unload a tab automatically for other reasons, such as thinking the tab consumes too much energy, or tab becomes unresponsive While inactive. iPadOS being iOS variant, the memory purge is also more aggressive compared to macOS (or windows and Linux for that matter). All of this means you cannot completely eliminate RAM reload for iPad, but only mitigate it By having more.

Hmmm, yeah, I see. And the price jump just to have more RAM is just like you say. Right now I have 256 GB and that would be enough. Jumping to 1TB is literally an additional 1000 €.

The 6th gen 12,9 Pro models below 1TB only seem to have 8 GB, though. It's still twice what I have now, but I'm scared it won't be as future-proof, especially with apps and websites becoming heavier and heavier.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Hmmm, yeah, I see. And the price jump just to have more RAM is just like you say. Right now I have 256 GB and that would be enough. Jumping to 1TB is literally an additional 1000 €.

The 6th gen 12,9 Pro models below 1TB only seem to have 8 GB, though. It's still twice what I have now, but I'm scared it won't be as future-proof, especially with apps and websites becoming heavier and heavier.
As long as you can manage to pay the price, I don’t see any issue buying top of the line. Just note that when you want to upgrade several years down the line, top tier models are harder to sell and trade in value ain't gonna be impressive either.

Username-already-in-use

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2021

Have you thought about looking for a reconditioned 5th Gen 1TB, which would also get you 16GB RAM?

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
Have you thought about looking for a reconditioned 5th Gen 1TB, which would also get you 16GB RAM?

Yes, but the price differences aren't that big. But when I look at these iPads, I have to say: Damn, they've become expensive. My 2nd and 3rd gen 12,9" iPad Pros were a fracture of todays prices. They literally doubled in price.

• Sad
Reactions: Shirasaki

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Yes, but the price differences aren't that big. But when I look at these iPads, I have to say: Damn, they've become expensive. My 2nd and 3rd gen 12,9" iPad Pros were a fracture of todays prices. They literally doubled in price.

The 12.9 2nd gen was cheaper.

However, the 12.9 3rd gen 1TB (A12X, 6GB) was $1899 at launch. The 12.9 5th gen and 6th gen with 1TB (M1/M2, 16GB) are just $100 more than the 12.9 3rd gen at $1999.

Reactions: Digitalguy

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
As long as you can manage to pay the price, I don’t see any issue buying top of the line. Just note that when you want to upgrade several years down the line, top tier models are harder to sell and trade in value ain't gonna be impressive either.
I find that my top tier models sell very well and a much higher price. My devices are always babied and when selling you should gear your advertisement towards the professionals. They appreciate the extra storage and can afford the pricing. Like I have mentioned I have had great success selling my top tier devices in the aftermarket space. Find your intended consumer and write a compelling advertisement. Score!

• Wow
Reactions: Shirasaki

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
I find that my top tier models sell very well and a much higher price. My devices are always babied and when selling you should gear your advertisement towards the professionals. They appreciate the extra storage and can afford the pricing. Like I have mentioned I have had great success selling my top tier devices in the aftermarket space. Find your intended consumer and write a compelling advertisement. Score!
I guess it varies for everyone but generally people that are wanting to buy top spec stuff, dont generally go for older gen models which is what these would be by the time most of us are looking to sell. Especially when you're trying to still get top dollar for them, just a much smaller audience out there for it. I dont buy my stuff though with the thought on resale value, I buy them to last me as long as they can and then generally pass them down to family knowing its still a capable device for them to use.

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
I also upgraded ipads for the same reason as you. It kept refreshing my apps and it was SO annoying. I ended up getting the 1TB M1 ipad with 16gb of ram. It does make a massive difference in that regard.

What iPad did you have before?

Considering how heavy of multitasking you're doing, it may be worth looking at a MacBook at this point.

I already have a Mac mini, but I also multitask between that and the iPad.

The 12.9 2nd gen was cheaper.

However, the 12.9 3rd gen 1TB (A12X, 6GB) was $1899 at launch. The 12.9 5th gen and 6th gen with 1TB (M1/M2, 16GB) are just $100 more than the 12.9 3rd gen at $1999.

I feel like they were cheaper here in Europe, not sure though. US prices are a thing on its own.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Max Tech did a comparison of 8GB vs 16GB iPad M1s a year or so ago. His test showed virtually no difference in performance, even with 4K video editing. 8GB handled it as well as the 16GB, there was no advantage.

I think 16GB is more of Apple thinking ahead, and not necesarily what's out now.

Reactions: Digitalguy

blkjedi954

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
Florida
I guess it varies for everyone but generally people that are wanting to buy top spec stuff, dont generally go for older gen models which is what these would be by the time most of us are looking to sell. Especially when you're trying to still get top dollar for them, just a much smaller audience out there for it. I dont buy my stuff though with the thought on resale value, I buy them to last me as long as they can and then generally pass them down to family knowing its still a capable device for them to use.
Agreed. Hard for me to pass down b/c we all here have our own devices. Everyone has an iPhone, ipad(s) and MacBooks with PC desktops. Literally everyone has 2 iPads - iPad Airs and iPad Pros. I am the only one with 2 pros, one in each size (for home use and road, M1 12.9 & M1 11 respectively). I had 2018 12.9 1TB cell model, I bought after Apple quietly dropped the price from 1899.99 to 1699.99. Sold it for 1300 in 2020 to get that model year 12.9 iPad Pro with LiDAR/cell/1TB. That package was $50 cheaper at 1649.99. I wanted the LiDAR because I’ve worked with the tech before wanted to see how I could incorporate it into my workflow. Was gonna keep it for like ever…lol, but then the M1 dropped a year later. I sold that for 1500. Not bad for a year old device! The secret is in how and who you market to.
I appeal to the professionals who don’t follow Apple announcements closely..lol. So I sell as soon as the new version comes out before it is well known to the masses. My advertisement appeal to their workflow. A little research and a carefully crafted advert with a call to action has served me well. I purchased the M1 12.9 2TB cell version and M1 11 256GB cell version for portability. One stays home and the other is a travel companion. I have noooo plans to sell for several more years or perhaps these are my forever devices like my 4S, 6S Plus, iPad 2(2011), and my 1st gen SE. Who knows? M1 on an iPad is sufficient for my needs.

Last edited:

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Agreed. Hard for me to pass down b/c we all here have our own devices. Everyone has an iPhone, ipad(s) and MacBooks with PC desktops. Literally everyone has 2 iPads - iPad Airs and iPad Pros. I am the only one with 2 pros, one in each size (for home use and road, M1 12.9 & M1 11 respectively). I had 2018 12.9 1TB cell model, I bougot after Apple quietly dropped the price from 1899.99 to 1699.99. Sold it for 1300 in 2020 to get that model year 12.9 iPad Pro with LiDAR/cell/1TB. That package was $50 cheaper at 1649.99. I wanted the LiDAR because I’ve worked with the tech before wanted to see how I could incorporate it into my workflow. Was gonna keep it for like ever…lol, but then the M1 dropped a year later. I sold that for 1500. Not bad for a year old device! The secret is in how and who you market to.
I appeal to the professionals who don’t follow Apple announcements closely..lol. So I sell as soon as the new version comes out before it is well known to the masses. My advertisement appeal to their workflow. A little research and a carefully crafted advert with a call to action has served me well. I purchased the M1 12.9 2TB cell version and M1 11 256GB cell version for portability. One stays home and the other is a travel companion. I have noooo plans to sell for several more years or perhaps these are my forever devices like my 4S, 6S Plus, iPad 2(2011), and my 1st gen SE. Who knows? M1 on an iPad is sufficient for my needs.
Man i thought i owned a lot of devices lol. Everyone has an iPhone, an iPad and a laptop of some sort. Im the only one in the house with a MacBook and a full desktop gaming pc. I have a hard time keeping my iPad Pro sometimes as its barely used except for when im travelling for work, very overkill for my needs but its here now and paid for lol.

Reactions: blkjedi954

Propine

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2020

Yeah, no, more RAM won’t help it much, iPadOS won’t keep all of them in memory, that would be too battery intensive and the iPad battery is already small compared to in in MacBooks

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
For me, 8GB is plenty. The things I do barely reach 75% of the capacity at peak pressure, though 16GB is more recommended for the hardcore users (aka, the people Apple actually market to when they say iPad "Pro"), so you'd need to get 1 or 2TB storage for the absolute best experience.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA

In same place as you...as no new models were announced last night (10/30/2023...was just hoping!). Was going to post the same question. Yikes...don't really need the 1TB of storage (haven't even filled my 256GB that I've had since 2016!) but to get the ram...they sock it to you.Looking how my current is 'acting up' with software updates I kinda think the ram is partially the issue. Hence, wanted to 'future proof' new iPad like you. Funny, was just commenting last night to people how , for the new MBPros, Apple seems to have STOPPED the Ram Raping!!!! Decisions...decisions. What do you think of the the different keyboards? Am planning to stick with the folio/cheaper version .

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
In same place as you...as no new models were announced last night (10/30/2023...was just hoping!). Was going to post the same question. Yikes...don't really need the 1TB of storage (haven't even filled my 256GB that I've had since 2016!) but to get the ram...they sock it to you.Looking how my current is 'acting up' with software updates I kinda think the ram is partially the issue. Hence, wanted to 'future proof' new iPad like you. Funny, was just commenting last night to people how , for the new MBPros, Apple seems to have STOPPED the Ram Raping!!!! Decisions...decisions. What do you think of the the different keyboards? Am planning to stick with the folio/cheaper version .
You have the 1st-gen 12.9-inch? Do you have it on iPadOS 16? How’s it running?

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I also upgraded ipads for the same reason as you. It kept refreshing my apps and it was SO annoying. I ended up getting the 1TB M1 ipad with 16gb of ram. It does make a massive difference in that regard.
Thanks for the concise info!

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Max Tech did a comparison of 8GB vs 16GB iPad M1s a year or so ago. His test showed virtually no difference in performance, even with 4K video editing. 8GB handled it as well as the 16GB, there was no advantage.

I think 16GB is more of Apple thinking ahead, and not necesarily what's out now.
You are probably right. I plan on having mine at least 6-7 years so....Apple has 'planned' well!🫤

Reactions: Rafterman

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Ha! 9.7 inch Pro...from 2016 . Has run very well up until about the last year...the keyboard is failing (reed switch I think) and sometimes the iPad is just....SLOW opening web pages. No real complaints as I've more than gotten my dollars worth! 256GB...not sure of the Ram but sure it's low. From the web:
An iPad model A1674 is an iPad Pro 9.7 inch with Wi-Fi and cellular data1234. It was released in March 2016 and has a A9X chipset, 2 GB RAM, and 12 MP primary camera3. It is the first generation of the iPad Pro 9.7 inch series

Reactions: FeliApple

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Also think I (might) wait a few weeks as the prices 'may' drop with the advent of the new M3 chips. Regardless, will probably buy a new one soon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.