Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Ha! 9.7 inch Pro...from 2016 . Has run very well up until about the last year...the keyboard is failing (reed switch I think) and sometimes the iPad is just....SLOW opening web pages. No real complaints as I've more than gotten my dollars worth! 256GB...not sure of the Ram but sure it's low. From the web:
An iPad model A1674 is an iPad Pro 9.7 inch with Wi-Fi and cellular data1234. It was released in March 2016 and has a A9X chipset, 2 GB RAM, and 12 MP primary camera3. It is the first generation of the iPad Pro 9.7 inch series
I have the 9.7-inch iPad Pro too! Mine is running well because it’s running iOS 12. It has 2GB of RAM, one of its most recurring criticisms back when it was launched, rightly (imo) questioning why its larger brother - released before it - has 4GB of RAM.

I think it held up well up until iPadOS 13, then people starting complaining a lot more. Frankly, it runs perfectly well on iOS 12, with about 25% worse battery life than iOS 9, but otherwise it’s just as good as it was on release.

I don’t have it, but I’ve also read many, many complaints about the durability of the keyboard that Apple designed for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. People have been claiming from the beginning that it just breaks down over time, specifically singling out the 9.7-inch iPad Pro’s keyboard (in contrast to its larger version). Sadly, I think it just has a design flaw.

So yeah, I reckon it wouldn’t run too perfectly on iPadOS 16, sadly, in terms of both performance and battery life; however, I can say it’s nearly perfect on iOS 12.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
You have the 1st-gen 12.9-inch? Do you have it on iPadOS 16? How’s it running?
Costing a new 11 inch M2/1TB/16GB with keyboard (folio) at about 76 cents/day over 6 years (no trade in / no pencil; no Apple Care). Or $1.52 / day over 3 years (just in case something really new pops up....). This is the way I try to look at things....No intent to trade in or resale...hand down to niece or nephew .

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I have the 9.7-inch iPad Pro too! Mine is running well because it’s running iOS 12. It has 2GB of RAM, one of its most recurring criticisms back when it was launched, rightly (imo) questioning why its larger brother - released before it - has 4GB of RAM.

I think it held up well up until iPadOS 13, then people starting complaining a lot more. Frankly, it runs perfectly well on iOS 12, with about 25% worse battery life than iOS 9, but otherwise it’s just as good as it was on release.

I don’t have it, but I’ve also read many, many complaints about the durability of the keyboard that Apple designed for the 9.7-inch iPad Pro. People have been claiming from the beginning that it just breaks down over time, specifically singling out the 9.7-inch iPad Pro’s keyboard (in contrast to its larger version). Sadly, I think it just has a design flaw.

So yeah, I reckon it wouldn’t run too perfectly on iPadOS 16, sadly, in terms of both performance and battery life; however, I can say it’s nearly perfect on iOS 12.
Not REALLY bad on 16.7.2...just showing its age. I've also thought that, outside of Apple updates, some of the apps I use also constantly upgrade (security etc. ) and....one grain of sand upon another...eventually you have a 'hill'. Use Apple Numbers and some specific financial apps/sites (nothing too heavy...) but still....! Again, I've more than gotten my moneys worth; and expect the same on the next purchase . Now, about my 2016 Intel MBPro! Still great but I expect to be 'ecstatic' when I eventually transition to the M3!!!!!

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014

Attachments

• IMG_8561.jpeg
    IMG_8561.jpeg
    128.4 KB · Views: 40

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 6, 2012
For me, 8GB is plenty. The things I do barely reach 75% of the capacity at peak pressure, though 16GB is more recommended for the hardcore users (aka, the people Apple actually market to when they say iPad "Pro"), so you'd need to get 1 or 2TB storage for the absolute best experience.

Where do you see how much RAM your iPad consumes?

In same place as you...as no new models were announced last night (10/30/2023...was just hoping!). Was going to post the same question. Yikes...don't really need the 1TB of storage (haven't even filled my 256GB that I've had since 2016!) but to get the ram...they sock it to you.Looking how my current is 'acting up' with software updates I kinda think the ram is partially the issue. Hence, wanted to 'future proof' new iPad like you. Funny, was just commenting last night to people how , for the new MBPros, Apple seems to have STOPPED the Ram Raping!!!! Decisions...decisions. What do you think of the the different keyboards? Am planning to stick with the folio/cheaper version .

It could be their strategy to link memory to storage, I'm not sure. They don't tell you the RAM anywhere in their marketing material. At the same time they surely know some people are going to open up these devices and the info is going to get through to sites like everymac.com.

And those people interested in these stats are the nerds, so they may be pumping us nerds. I think it sucks and they should add maximum memory to all devices or give us the option at least, without buying more storage. The problem is that this would be a loss of standardisation, making every single iPad more expensive and they'd therefore make you pay more for it.

As for the keyboard, I use a magic keyboard and it's good. 95% of the time I don't use it though.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Where do you see how much RAM your iPad consumes?

It could be their strategy to link memory to storage, I'm not sure. They don't tell you the RAM anywhere in their marketing material. At the same time they surely know some people are going to open up these devices and the info is going to get through to sites like everymac.com.

And those people interested in these stats are the nerds, so they may be pumping us nerds. I think it sucks and they should add maximum memory to all devices or give us the option at least, without buying more storage. The problem is that this would be a loss of standardisation, making every single iPad more expensive and they'd therefore make you pay more for it.

As for the keyboard, I use a magic keyboard and it's good. 95% of the time I don't use it though.
You can see the RAM per device (not usage per application) under specifications on the Apple page.

Reactions: Silly John Fatty
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.