How much RAM should I get?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by EddieVanHalen98, Aug 3, 2011.

1. EddieVanHalen98 macrumors newbie

I'm planning on buying the new Mac Mini (making the switch from Widows :D), and I can have it for $599 with 2GB RAM, or, for a 4GB model, I can fork over an extra $150. No, I do not want to buy from anyone else, and I don't really mind about the price, I just want to know if I need it? I'm the sort of person who does have quite a lot of things open at the same time, like, music, internet, video editing software, text editor, XCode, Autodesk Maya, things like that, all at the same time. Is 2GB enough?
    Plus, I want to keep it for at least 2/3 years, so I want to make sure I am eligible for future major Mac OS updates, only until like 10.8, I think by the time 10.9 releases, I'll get a new computer. Because each major software update demands more RAM:
    10.5 Leopard - 512MB
    10.6 Snow Leopard - 1GB
    10.7 Lion - 2GB
    10.8 ??? - 4GB?
    Also, should I spend ANOTHER $50 on an extra 0.2GHz, and better graphics card? (Intel HD Graphics 3000 being the original, and AMD Radeon HD 6630M, being the second option for the extra $50 and the CPU increase)

2. EddieVanHalen98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooops, my mistake, the RAM is $100, not $150, and forget the last question :p

3. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

For what you said you wanted to do (music, internet, video editing software, text editor, XCode, Autodesk Maya), at the same time, 4GB has to be the minimum amount to even consider.

I'm not sure if the Mac mini's support it as I haven't checked, but I'd even recommend 8GB.

EDIT: Just checked, and yes there is an 8GB option for the minis. Go with that if you have enough cash.

4. EddieVanHalen98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry, I guess I didn't word this correctly :L
    MOST of those applications will be open, most likely, music and internet WILL BE OPEN, and ONE OF THE FOLLOWING, from Maya, XCode, Text editor, and video editing software, sorry for the confusion :eek:

5. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

In the decreasing order of preferability, I suggest that

1. If you can afford it, go with 2.7 GHz i7 CPU/8 GB memory/750 GB@7200 HD + SSD.
    2. 2.7 GHz i7 CPU/8 GB memory/SSD.
    3. 2.7 GHz i7 CPU/8 GB memory/750 GB@7200 HD.
    4. 2.5 GHz i5 CPU/8 GB memory/750 GB@7200 HD.
    5. 2.3 GHz i5 CPU/8 GB memory/750 GB@7200 HD.

6. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I'd still go with 8GB. Would definately help.

7. EddieVanHalen98 thread starter macrumors newbie

@Frankhan
    The processor and HDD is perfect for me. It's just the RAM I was concerned about
    @cambookpro
    I can't afford an 8GB one :/
    I guess I'll have to go with a 4GB one :p

8. TheBoors macrumors newbie

Apple.. haha, they sell you 8g ram for 200$, and you can get the same thing for half the price...

If you want 8g, don't buy it from apple, it's totally overpriced. You could also upgrade to 6g ram by buying only one stick, it may be a good alternative

9. spidey3 macrumors regular

Given that you are doing video editing and 3d rendering, you should definitely max out the RAM (8GB), get the fastest CPU, and the best video option available. You are also going to want the faster (7200 rpm) disk drive. That takes you to $1,249.00. If you add a solid state disk for the OS and scratch, you are looking at another $600 beyond that (if you buy it from Apple).

For that matter, you may want to consider that even the fully tricked out Mac Mini may be underpowered for your needs. The higher end iMac or low-end Mac Pro may be more appropriate...

10. spidey3 macrumors regular

11. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Definately do the after-market RAM route. I got 8GB for 60 pounds, almost 1/4 of the price Apple wanted!

12. EddieVanHalen98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I could easily run these tasks one at a time? I run these on my Windows PC, (some at the same time), and it's fine (although I do realize you'll need a lot more RAM on a Mac):
    Intel Core 2 Quad 2.2GHz, and 4GB RAM
    Yeah, I probably will buy a 2GB one, then manually upgrade it to 8GB ;)

13. mstrze macrumors 68000

I'm all for doing the 'upgrade yourself, cheaper' option, but why are you saying that you need more RAM specifically on a Mac? It's been my experience over the last decade or so of using both PCs and Macs that Macs handle memory management much better and usually can do things with less RAM as efficiently as a PC can.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I saw an 8GB RAM upgrade for $39.99 on Newegg.