How much Space have you got since you installed SL

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macfan881, Sep 4, 2009.

1. macfan881 macrumors 68020

sorry if the threads been made but im just currious to see what the avarge space is of whats been save im geting sl later this week

2. ryguy2303 macrumors 6502

ryguy2303

3. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

About 30GB, but that's misleading because I did an Erase & Install (so I got rid of some old files/apps that I didn't need and were taking up space) and the Finder is reporting drive space as base10 instead of base2 now.

4. jlocalled macrumors member

jlocalled

5. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Some people think they have gained more than they have because leopard uses base2 and SL used base10 u will need to take that into account.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've really not measure or noticed it, partly because I did a clean install, plus I repartitioned my drives, giving my Macintosh HD more space and finally given the fact that apple changed how space is computed (base 2 to base 10) its a meaningless comparison.

7. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

I saved ~10GB of space which is very significant to us SSD users with limited capacity :D

8. G.T. macrumors 6502a

It really isn't you just have to work it out i saved about 8GB but without working it out it was like 20GB which is obviously wrong.

9. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Gained 11.2GB (1KB = 1000 bytes, in case there's any confusion ;) )

10. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

11. sommls macrumors member

Turned out about the same for me, but I'd already evicted the 3GB of useless printer drivers and the additional few hundred MB of Urdu subdialects from my previous installation of 10.5. I wonder sometimes why it's not that frequently pointed out that shrinking the OS by simply getting rid of these things was not a particularly hard thing to do, at least from a technical point of view.

I respect the significant amount of cutting and revising that was done and am grateful that 10.6 has been simplified, rather than sprawled out. However, if the operating system can phone home to register or get software updates, it can phone home and get a 5 Meg printer driver just about as readily (assuming 56k connections are pretty much history or that printers come with their own software discs).