How much storage do you use?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by el-John-o, Feb 5, 2011.

1. el-John-o macrumors 65816

Hey all,

So, I've been wanting an Apple Road Warrior for quite a while. Now that my trusty and faithful Acer laptop no longer charges without coaxing (I'll re-solder the connector, but it's an excuse right?), plus it only has about a 10 minute battery life (In Linux, it won't even finish booting vista.) So, I'm gonna go with the White MacBook (gonna wait a little bit, plus I'd like to see what Mr. Cook has to say later this month, maybe a new lineup). Anyway, here is my main question;

I am going to drop in an SSD, and I'm trying to decide on the amount of storage I might need. The 512GB models are awesome but they break the bank, 256GB pushes it, but 128GB feels just right price wise (well, I mean hey, it could be cheaper, but it's doable.) My question is, do you think I'll need more than 128GB? I haven't used a Mac since the PowerPC days (when my 9 gig hard drive felt unlimited), so I'm not sure I'll need more. My current laptop has a 160GB Hard Disk, split 50/50 (80 gigs each) between an Ubuntu Linux partition, and a W-Word V-Word partition. I don't have problems there, I almost always use Linux, but keep windows on there for the odd application or two that I can't get to work under Wine, plus the GPU in this thing isn't supported by AMD in Linux, so any games or whatever have to be on the Windows side (though not many).

So what say you? This isn't going to be a main computer, just my laptop. Office suite, lightroom and photoshop (but it won't store pictures, just pull them off the camera, tweak them and dump them when I get home, or even FTP them back home). Beyond that, I can't imagine needing more than 128GB, but if you folks can give me a good reason to go with the 256 I'll think about it. I just wanna be sure! (Also accepting 512GB 2.5" SSD donations :D )

Also, I am aware that there are brackets that would allow me to mount another drive in place of the optical drive, but I use the optical drive alot. I will be using an external enclosure for the stock HDD, but USB 2.0 is only so fast, so it's only a viable solution for document storage.

By the way, anyone have experience booting on USB 2.0? I play a little Bad Company 2 (ok, I'm addicted), and it would be the single only use for a Windows Partition for me (everything else could be done via virtualbox and a Windows XP), I wonder if I could still get decent performance with a Windows partition on the stock 250GB HDD, mounted in an enclosure (considering the game runs out of RAM once loaded). Thoughts?

-John

2. altecXP macrumors 65816

Minimal 10.6.6 install
    WoW
    SC2
    Ventrillo
    VLC
    Coda
    XCode
    Adium
    Colloquy
    Chrome
    uTorrent

+ documents, pictures, downloads

Just under 64GB

I have my iTunes and media on an external drive.

Save money and get SandForce drive, cheaper and faster than what Apple sells.

3. el-John-o thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks,

Apple doesn't even offer an SSD upgrade on the white MacBook, but regardless, it'll probably be from newegg, both kensington and corsair have great low cost ssds, they are just as fast as the crucial models (well, pretty close especially given the cost difference) considering the MacBook doesn't have SATA III. But EVERY brand is a few hundred bucks for anything larger than 256gb

-John

4. zenio macrumors 6502

I'm on the road or flying a lot for work. I've done this for years. My practice is to keep my vast iTunes library on my Mac Pro, NAS DRIVE, and a portion on my Western Digital Passport.

Then I simply grab whatever I want and load it onto either my MBA or MBP, depending on where I'm headed & for how long.

I've converted my MBP to a OCZ Vertex 2, SSD. bought from Newegg, I get their newsletter so it's easy to catch a sale price. It's now a very fast, efficient machine. My MBA already came with an SSD.

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

27GB/250GB on my Mac
    285GB/1TB on my PC
    ~300GB/500GB on my external.

Needless to say, I use my computers for different purposes.

6. kierennyc macrumors regular

You can easily answer this question yourself!

How much storage do you use now?

Why would it be any different on a new machine??

For instance right now I have a 1TB drive and use about 600GB. If I were looking for a new machine Id need at least THAT MUCH.

I wouldnt want to use a smaller drive as i like having all my data in one place. I also dont want to be carrying around external drives.

I dont see how anybody on this forum can you tell YOU how much storage YOU need.

7. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

My road warrior is a 11" MBA with 64GB, because it only has iWork on it - no iTunes, no Final Cut, just iWork and XCode - I let my Mac Pro with oodles of storage handle all of that stuff (The fact if I need iTunes, I have my iPod, or Im at my desk helps, so I dont keep that on my Road Warrior) - My previous Road Warrior that I used (and still do if required) for video editing on the move is a White MacBook with a 120GB HD, and while everything I need just about fits (XCode, Final Cut Studio, iWork, Few Games, Project Files) - it does however have to be cleared out every 2-3 months because Ive filled up the 5GB I have for "free space" on its drive.

8. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I personally went the route of the 160gb ssd and 500gb media optibay. 160 was tight for me because I bootcamped and had a few games installed. I'd imagine that you might find it kind of constricting in the future if you want to install other games or programs.

9. Jesseeee macrumors newbie

I have a 40GB partition for Snow Leopard, and a 130GB partition for all my music, videos, docs, projects, etc. The remaining partitions are other OS's.

Apps on SL volume:
    Xcode
    Eclipse
    Dashcode
    Ruby
    Rails
    new g++
    MS Office Student 2008
    Python3.2
    Openoffice
    Chrome, Firefox, Safari
    [no iPhoto, GarageBand, iMovie]
    MAMP
    a few other small things

I have 9GB of free space on the 40GB partition.

If you think you'll be using similar things, then your 128GB SSD should be enough, especially if you'll be using the NAS to store the rest.

10. altecXP macrumors 65816

Since my original post I am down to 56.35GB after clearing out a lot of stuff I don't use.

35GB of that is Warcraft and Starcraft