Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
After having read this article on Lifehacker, I would be curious to know how much time you macrumors members spend out of your office/home working in a Starbucks ?

I usually spend one or two days a week with my MBP, as long as I can with my 3 hours battery ! :-D

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I never go to a Starbucks
If I were going to go somewhere for coffee, it would be Dunkin Donuts
If I were going to go somewhere to sit and work it would be... hmmm, home

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
I love working at the library too, very quiet and probably the best place to stay focused. I spent entire days at the British Library when living in London.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Don't go to Starbucks. In fact, I can probably count on one hand the times that I've been. And if memory serves, they were with an old boss of mine who loved Starbucks.

However, as of late since getting an iPad 3G, I've found myself working outside of my home/office much more. The iPad has given me a new sense of freedom and I like it. :)

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
0. I went to Starbucks once with some old friends. It is one of the reasons why they are now old friends. Overpriced, overhyped and full of clunge.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Every morning, I take my MacBook Pro, 24" display, my external drives, my laser printer, my scanner, my A3+ colour proofer, my Pantone books, pens, pads, two phones down to Starbucks, just three minutes away. People look at me kind of odd when I take up all the power sockets, muttering about me spreading out over two tables, but it's all worth it for a tall cappuccino, hold the chocolate.

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Every morning, I take my MacBook Pro, 24" display, my external drives, my laser printer, my scanner, my A3+ colour proofer, my Pantone books, pens, pads, two phones down to Starbucks, just three minutes away. People look at me kind of odd when I take up all the power sockets, muttering about me spreading out over two tables, but it's all worth it for a tall cappuccino, hold the chocolate.

+1. OK you are maybe not the target of this Lifehacker article... :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Zippo, I don't spend any time working in starbucks, Panera Bread, or any other coffee shop that offers free wifi. I get my coffee (or lunch in Parera Bread's case) and drink/eat/leave

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Probably around 0.5-1 hours per week. Why?

1. Shops in Australia regularly close at 5 pm. That includes most cafes. Starbucks closes at 11 pm. I only go at night.

2. Cafes that are open beyond 5 pm usually become full-fledged restaurants, and you'd feel like an idiot working at one.

3. Starbucks opens until 11 pm. I usually swim from 8-9 pm. After that, sometimes I go to Starbucks to read. Perfect timing, and it's an 8 minute bikeride from my house.

4. They're the only place that serves brewed coffee. Espresso-based coffees are great, but I don't want milk all the time.

5. They're one of the 3 places I know of in Melbourne that serves bagels!!!!! (I'm Canadian)

If I need to read on a weekend for work, I do it at a real cafe. :)

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
I never go to a Starbucks
If I were going to go somewhere for coffee, it would be Dunkin Donuts
If I were going to go somewhere to sit and work it would be... hmmm, home

Most of the time you make some good, insightful comments, but sometimes, I swear, I don't know where you get nonsense like that... :p

JsR

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
Newcastle
However, as of late since getting an iPad 3G, I've found myself working outside of my home/office much more. The iPad has given me a new sense of freedom and I like it. :)

+1 I'm a recent iPader - mainly for my Master's, but I've now started taking it out when I'm commuting to and from the office to read my book.

I don't "do" Starbucks. I actually hate any hot drinks. I only ever drink milk with ice cubes in coffee shops :eek: I find Starbucks too...oily.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
I never worked at Starbucks. The closest I ever came was delivering pizzas for Domino's, I had two different stints doing that back when I was in junior college. The second time was only for a week, though - I took the job to get some extra pocket money before I moved. I didn't tell the manager ahead of time, though. I bet he was pissed.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Never. I am actually a highly advanced digital apparition residing on a hard drive in someone's basement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.