How much vibration do you feel

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by newbie11, Dec 20, 2008.

1. newbie11 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    I was wondering if any of you with the New Aluminum Macbooks feel any sort of vibrations from the hdd, or the fans. Especially, do you feel it near the trackpad, on the lower half of the computer?
    Thanks.
    Newbie11.

2. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

Yeah it's coming from the power, I always get it when I'm plugged in.
    Nothing to worry about, I think it actually feels kind of cool :p

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

WHAT?! Are you serious?! :eek:

If you feel it next to the trackpad, then most likely it's coming from the HDD. I would check to see if the screws that hold the HDD in are tight, and if that doesn't fix it, you need to contact Apple Care. You may have defective HDD or a defective mounting system.

4. Boston Fan macrumors member

Boston Fan

I have had the new aluminum MacBook for about 2 months. No vibrations of ANY kind. Not near the trackpad, and definitely not when plugged in. Agree with VSMacOne that you should get it checked out.

5. phoobo macrumors regular

all aluminum MBs have this...

...at least every one I have ever picked up in an Ap store. It is one disadvantage of solid aluminum vs. plastic - transmits vibration more easily.

It is *not* the fans.

You can solve it by putting in an SSD (obviously) or by removing the 4 torx-6 retaining pins that hold the drive in place, wrapping the drive's ends with gauze to keep it from moving around, and putting the cover back on.

6. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

What HD do you have in the MB?

If it's stock, then it should be 5200rpm. The stock drives should have NO vibration - that is, imperceptible vibration. I don't feel a thing with mine and I have super OCD when it comes to things like this. If you feel vibration on the palm rest, and if it resonates throughout the case, then you have a defective HD or your HD is not mounted properly. Make sure the screw is secured and, if that fails, make an appointment at the Genius Bar.

If you have a 7200rpm drive, that may be a different story. I've heard that the 7200rpm drives do vibrate more than the stock drives, but it's difficult to diagnose a defective drive based on subjective experience.

Additionally, you shouldn't have to MacGuiver a brand new machine... if you wrap anything in gauze then you impede air flow and can damage the drive. If the drive gets damaged as a result of your 'quick fix', then you can kiss any coverage goodbye.

7. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Not sure what to think of that. ;)

I used my friend's new MacBook recently and didn't notice any vibration. It could just be the HD spinning if you are using it for something more intense than normal.

Also make sure you aren't covering the entire thing with fabric like a blanket because that WILL cause the fans to work harder.

8. amt2002 macrumors member

I detect absolutely NO vibration of any kind on my Alu MB.

9. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Zero, nada, no vibration on a stock 2.0 Macbook Aluminum here.

10. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

The "vibration" is most likely some power issue. Are you using a properly grounded outlet? All Alu MacBooks and MBP I checked have this, there is some electricity flowing through the Alu.

11. youssefm macrumors 6502

i dont feel any vibrations whatsoever, im using the normal stock 2.0ghz machine

12. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

When I use my alu macbook in one particular computer lab on campus i get a small shock if i am touching my macbook case and also touch the metal screw tops of the desks. - Sure that isnt meant to happen! lol.

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You can't be serious?!?? I've never heard of this nor seen this...

14. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

Same here. No vibrations what so ever..
    You'll probably wanna get that looked at!

15. DeekinBlooz macrumors member

No vibration here.

16. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i love when i come back to the macbook and the alum is nice and cold on the hands...kinda like an unused pillow....

17. n8236 macrumors 65816

No vibrations from my unibody MBP. Get yours checked out if it's serious.

18. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Test it, I can reproduce that "tingling" sensation when you touch it even when my computer is turned off. If it is plugged into a socked that isn't grounded. Running on battery it never does this, but when you plug it in you feel it. I can even hold my computer and touch other people and they will feel my finger transporting the current.

All Alu MB/ MBP I tested have this, even my brothers old MBP can reproduce this.

19. ryanfong macrumors member

There's no actual vibration of the Alu Macbook..

However, if it's AC connected, use your fingers gently slide on the surface of the aluminum, you can feel the electric flaw...feels exactly like vibration...

Try it..

20. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Mine is completely fine. Sometimes if I'm on the MB for a long time I could hear a slight faint of the fan..other then that everything is normal and fine for me :)

21. tonyl macrumors 6502

No vibration from fan, but if you can feel slight vibration if you touch right palm rest (just above the HD)

22. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

well then i guess my sockets are grounded bec i've never felt that before... :rolleyes:

23. newbie11 thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm, I feel it sometimes when I rest my hands gently on the bottom right, near the trackpad. So that may be just normal hard drive noise. Anyone else feel it there? Can you hear yours if you put your ear a few inches away?
    Thanks.

24. MattyK macrumors 6502a

MattyK

I can definitely hear it, but can't feel more than the semi-warm plastic.

25. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Yes the sound is normal. but again, the vibration is not!