How much will AT&T charge for tethering when it's available?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iboy38, Jul 14, 2009.

1. iboy38 macrumors member

iboy38

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Heard? from where?

ATT has not released what the pricing structure will be. People have guessed anywhere from $10-$30.

Until they announce it - no one knows.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No one knows. They charge $60 for the air cards, so maybe the same, but again, no one knows for sure. Lots of threads on this.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No one knows, but based on other things they charge for, I think the most likely is $30 for tethering in addition to the $30 you pay for data now.

So if you had an iPhone and you wanted to tether, you'd pay $60 + your phone minutes.

6. tivoboy macrumors 68030

probably

I think it will probably 20-25$ MORE than the current 30$ unlimited data plan. Most like 20$

7. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

No one knows yet. They charge $30 for Blackberry tethering. So that would be my guess.

8. cmaier macrumors G3

<sigh>

Would be nice if they offered something akin to verizon's daypass.

9. alansaysstop macrumors regular

I'm quite interested to know how many people will actually USE tethering with the extreme amount of buisness with free wifi. It's not like its going to take over for your home internet service.

10. cmaier macrumors G3

Many of us travel for business, and end up either:

1) paying for wifi in various airports and hotels ($10-$15 per day, often) -or-
    2) not having any connectivity in certain places because there is no wi-fi.

Tethering will appeal to people who currently use a usb or expresscard aircard, because it's one fewer thing to keep track of, and it may simplify billing and be cheaper.

11. mrtune macrumors 6502a

They will charge $30 extra for tethering, as they do on the rest of their smartphone lineup. The iPhone isn't special anymore, it shares the standard pricing scheme as every other smartphone on AT&T.

Not sure why people question or debate this?? The iPhone no longer gets any kind of special treatment other than they force a data plan on you. Plan pricing is identical to the rest of their smartphones.

12. cmaier macrumors G3

Actually, it gets a bit of special treatment, not the least of which is fully subsidized upgrades long before your contract is out.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

People continue to debate this because ATT has been silent on what it may aor may not charge. As for your other statement that's it no special any more is furthest thing from the truth. The iPhone is by far their best product propelling AT&T's profits. They continue to treat apple, and its customers with kid gloves and one can expect that will continue with the pricing. Does that mean it will be cheaper - who knows, its anyone's guess.

14. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Not really, they offer early upgrades to they're other phones as well. This is nothing new. If you pay crazy money every month, it doesn't matter which phone you have, they'll let you upgrade early, up to year early.

They simply made it more public because of the iPhone upgrade outcry. They threw us a bone and let those eligible update like 1-3months early so they could get it on launch date this year, that's it. And even that was only for current iPhone users, didn't count if you had a standard flip phone.

15. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Please explain the special treatment? You can go and get a blackberry bold on at&t and other than handset price, everything else is identical. Where is the special treatment? If anything, at&t screws us iPhone owners more than anyone. We still don't have mms like the rest of their phones, and we are forced onto a $30 data charge. The only phone in at&t's lineup that has this.

Once upon a time we did get special treatment, with $20 data fees, but that was taken away with the introduction of the 3G. (let's skip the edge -> 3g cost arguement. At&t still sells edge only blackberries and charges $30/month data for those)

16. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

I wish this were true, we would have MMS enabled.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Until at&t announces the pricing anything else is just pure speculation.

18. Tarponsprings macrumors newbie

19. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Why Should They Charge ANYTHING Extra?

3G and 3GS users already pay $30 for "unlimited" data. Now, because there will be the capability to download (comparatively) huge amounts of data, the definition of "unlimited" is about to be changed, apparently. I guess it was okay to tell us we had an "unlimited" plan when it was unlikely that we'd actually use it. Doesn't seem right to me. Then again, it doesn't surprise me, either.

20. outphase macrumors 65816

Take a look at some of the existing smartphone plans AT&T has. They have always charged for tethering access for BB and WinMo phones. There's only so much preferential treatment they can hand out.

21. tivoboy macrumors 68030

not unlimited

it really isn't unlimited, it is capped at 5GB. But, I don't think anyone with an iphone hits that, YET

22. samcraig macrumors P6

tivoboy

No - it IS unlimited. On your device. Tethering is another matter altogether and is NOT included in your unlimited plan (as of yet)

When ATT rolls out it's tethering plan, we'll know how much it costs and if there's a cap on that.

The only model we currently have is to look at BB and other smart phone plans which is why people estimate anywhere from $0-$30 for tethering (with a cap) in addition to your unlimited data plan

There are many threads about the concept of both unlimited and tethering.

Fact is - there are no facts YET. We don't know a launch date and we don't have a rate structure.

23. tivoboy macrumors 68030

contract

I think if one reads into the service contract, there is a soft cap of 5GB in there. I'll pull up a previous post which had a screen shot of this.

24. theMaccer macrumors 6502a

theMaccer

$70 including the data plan with 5GB cap a month i think.