How much will the new macbooks be?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by 234412, Oct 7, 2008.

1. 234412 Guest

I want to buy a macbook eventually, and I don't know wether to buy the current macbook because I dont want to end up with an old one, but how much will the new one be? If its not much more in price, I might aswell save up a bit more and buy a new one.

2. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Entry level model: $895 in the U.S.A, £595 in the U.K.

3. LinMac macrumors 65816

[citation needed]

4. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Just an educated guess. Perhaps we'll know for sure next Tuesday.

5. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I think CD3660 was joking…

Otherwise not so much a citation needed as certifiable. :eek:

Edit: Oops. Seems not.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

will be the same if not less than the current MB's. it rarely increases unless its good.

7. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Slightly more than $50 and slightly less than $6000. :p

8. DsurioN macrumors regular

DsurioN

Haha

I think the prices will stay the same, just the design & specs will change.

9. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

10. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

cost shouldnt matter my friend. you, are getting an APPLE(osx). priceless.

they really need to make a master card commercial where a pc crashes a thousand times, and then they get a mac, and boom you got a great commercial.:D

11. 234412 thread starter Guest

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

But easily worth 100% more! :p

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

They'll be free. But you need to dedicate a shrine to Steve Jobs, if you haven't already ;)

14. thewireman macrumors regular

thewireman

One Million dollars! *puts pinkie in the corner of the lips* Mruhaahaa haaa!

15. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Wouldn't someone else like to stick their neck out and have a serious guess at what the new price might be? At least it is something to do on a dull Tuesday! :D

16. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

If your current MacBook is less than a year old, you'll be able to trade it in and receive a 40% discount.

17. JMN357 macrumors newbie

Same prices as they are now (kinda)

People always joke well the price drop will be $50 or something like that. The thing is that I don't think that's much of a joke. I wouldn't be surprised if Apple lowered the price very little ($50-$100) or not at all. The tradeoff in not having a major price shift is the one we as Apple users have always dealt with and that is that we get a superior OS, hardware, etc.
    My first (and only so far) Mac is my Macbook which I bought last year for college. I saved my money, got it, and the first thing my parents asked is "Why did you spend so much on that thing?". My answer is that as I sit here typing this the absolute worst thing that has ever happened to my Macbook is that infamous cracking on the edges where you rest your wrist. They just reformatted their 6 month old Vista Dell Tower last week.
    :apple:

18. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

My guess is that they'll be nowhere near 600 pounds in the UK. My guess is around 950 pounds for a new macbook. I'll fly over to where you are and buy you a pint if I'm wrong. ;)

19. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

Entry-level price anywhere between $999-$1099. Well, anywhere ending with "9", that is. Apple doesn't usually drop Mac prices, although sometimes it happens - most recently with high-end Air in July. It was a $499 drop, but that was only because of overpriced SSDs' becoming cheaper, so there's no reason to think they'd lower other prices this much. Actually the only reason there's speculation about MacBooks' prices falling is because there were rumors about it - and usually rumors about price drops are leaving people disappointed.

I'd say it's 33% for a slight price drop, 66% for the same price, and 1% for any price increase (well, actually I think it's completely improbable, but this 1% neatly fills the gap left with 2:1 probability ratio ;)).

20. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I think a slight price drop is possible, they lowered the price on iphones (albeit with some backdoor higher contract trickery) and i think they lowered prices on ipods at the last event, so i dont see why Macs wont get the same treatment. but it will be really slight like $100 or less.

21. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

22. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Personally I can't see Apple ignoring the global trend towards cheaper computer hardware prices. There is huge competition out there and they are anxious to improve their market share.

I'd be amazed if they decided to increase the price of the entry level model by 36%! In the present climate they would struggle to sell their most basic laptop at around £1,000 and would be better off retaining the present MacBook line up and pricing structures.

I really believe that Apple have learned a huge lesson from the iPhone in that offering better value for money can result in much greater gains in the long run.

23. mademan118 macrumors regular

$350 for base model, $550 for mid model, $850 for top of the line model.

24. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

I can see where you're coming from, but somehow I just don't believe that they will. I'll hold onto my 950 pounds estimate. However if the new ones do end up going for around the pricing you estimated, I'll be the first one to admit that I was wrong. In any case, I hope you're right, it's definitely time those prices went down.

25. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Well it's fun to speculate, and hopefully we won't have long to wait.

Chances are that we are both wrong. I think you are most likely to be pleasantly surprised, and I am likely to be disappointed!