How much would you be willing to pay for tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bbplayer5, Jun 25, 2009.

1. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I personally wouldnt go over 20 bucks, and there better be no cap. Obviously torrent downloading etc would make you a jerk and abusing it... But realistically no cap.

2. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

Zero dollars and zero sense. I already pay $30 a month for unlimited data. IMHO it shouldnt be allowed to say "ok, you pay $30 a month for "unlimited" internet, now here is a charge of (say) $10 so you can use that data a certain way."

3. samcraig macrumors P6

You pay for unlimited data for your DEVICE - not unlimited data in general. ATT and EVERY OTHER provider has every right to up the charge for allowing you to connect OTHER devices to their network.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

zero dollars, its not a feature I'll take advantage of so I have no intentions of spending any money on it.

5. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Maybe $5/month.

I want tiers since I would only use it a few days out of the year, but it would be great to have on those few days.

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Exactly. I know full well I am not paying for tethering right now. They will charge more, and they should. Unlimited data on your computer? Verizon (yes, the beloved super-carrier) charges $40 for 250MB of transfer via computer. So $30 for unlimited on phone AND comptuer? You people are dreaming if you think that will happen.

7. hchavarria macrumors 6502

I currently pay $60 a month for a data card so as long as teathering offer comparable speed I am willing to pay anything under the $60.

8. dagomike macrumors 65816

I have no expectation tethering will be offered at a price I'd pay. I've got a sprint card with work, so not like I need it. If it was truly unlimited, I'd pay up to $20 and dump my cable modem. I don't see that happening through.

9. inf macrumors 6502

inf

0euros.

And that's is just how much it's here in Finland. All of our carriers allow tethering without any extra costs. Just buy a data plan and you're set.

America+many other country is so much behind us in these mobile network things

10. diabolic macrumors 68000

I wish they'd go to charging based on how much data I actually use.

11. Smrtphoneaddict macrumors member

I would be OK with $10-15. All of us already give AT&T $30 a month for unlimited data so they should give us a little break.

12. Stiss macrumors 6502a

not willing to pay at all. Unlimited data my rump.

13. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Given that plans for dedicated cards go for typically $60 or more per month in the US, I would be OK with another $30 over the iPhone plan. In other words, if I'm carrying a $30 iPhone plan and a $60 plan for a mobile broadband card, paying a total of $60 to have both rolled into one seems reasonable to me.

And for those who feel that tethering should simply be included on the $30 iPhone plan, it simply shows how little you know about the Internet, bandwidth, and business.

14. soup4you2 macrumors regular

$0.00

If i really need to do this I'll use my work provided blackberry. But seriously is this a feature I really need? pretty much anything can wait until I get home and use a real network.

15. tivoboy macrumors 68030

15$

I think the price is going to be 15$, with a free few months in there for good measure.

I would also like to see a DAILY fee of like 5$, for when travelling.

16. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

$30 is what AT&T is currently charging other smartphone for tethering, so, it will be at least that much for iPhone users as well.

Personally, I can live without tethering unless it's only $5 per month.

17. BaronvdB macrumors 6502

BaronvdB

18. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i agree $30 per month will be the price. in addition i want to be able to cancel the service on a monthly basis. i want no data limit or a data limit that is very high if they feel they need to limit torrents and such.

and the speed would have to be reasonably fast. right now my 3gs is much slower than my cable internet. that is because the internet access of the tower is slow. the tower to phone connection is fast.

19. m3coolpix macrumors 6502a

m3coolpix

Ditto.

I pay for a data plan on the iPhone, and it does 99% of the data transfer I need (email, browsing, etc.). I also get free wifi via Starbucks/McDonald's/etc., so if I need it, it covers the other 1% of the time (both for my iPhone and laptop). Add in my FIOS house connection, and I'm covered.

For some people having a serious traveling and business reason, it'll probably make sense. But other than that, it's a nicety, not a necessity.

20. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Tethering is not very valuable.

I would only want to tether if *all* of these conditions are met.

*I have my iPhone with me
    *I have my laptop with me
    *I am not at home
    *I am not near free WiFi
    *I am within a reliable 3G region
    *I need to use laptop software

So how likely are those conditions? For me, not very. So rare,in fact, that paying a regular amount for the service would be nuts.

However, if an emergency came up, I would like to be able to use it. In an emergency it could be suddenly valuable.

So I'd argue that for most people, a monthly fee is not going to be very popular, but paying by the megabyte would be something I'd happily do in an emergency.

C.

21. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I wouldn't say we're "behind" you guys. That suggests we lack a certain technology or that your system is better. For the customer, it certainly is better, but our system is better for the carrier. It all depends on your perspective. A better description would be corporations are "greedier" in the US or that the current laws and business models are "pro-corporation".

Anyways, I agree. I am willing to pay $0 for tethering. I already pay money for "unlimited" use of data/bandwidth, why should I have to pay more. I already give them $152 every month. Besides, AT&T rip us off for the SMS plans, which cost them no money. This seems to be legal though. With that said, I have no guilty conscience "stealing" tethering from them.

22. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I agree completely.

23. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

I totally agree. I can see how this would be very useful for business people though. They could be out on the road (as many business have to be) with their laptop and have to get a report (or something that cannot be done on the iPhone) sent to a colleague quickly. Tethering would be very useful then. However, for the majority of us, it would just be a luxury. But, I'm sure some iPhone users with much money wouldn't hesitate to get it.

24. samcraig macrumors P6

"Anyways, I agree. I am willing to pay $0 for tethering. I already pay money for "unlimited" use of data/bandwidth, why should I have to pay more. I already give them $152 every month. Besides, AT&T rip us off for the SMS plans, which cost them no money. This seems to be legal though. With that said, I have no guilty conscience "stealing" tethering from them. "

a) As I said before - you pay for unlimited use on your device, not unlimited use on multiple devices. If you had two iphones, you'd pay two data fees. Why wouldn't you expect to pay extra fees for allowing MORE than your one iphone access to the internet

b) SMS servers, etc DO cost money. Saying SMS costs nothing is naive

c) If you have no guilty conscience about stealing from them, I wonder how you'll feel if you wind up with a bill. You acknowledge that you're breaking their rules. So if you get caught, you can't./shouldn't complain if you get billed. It's like a speeding ticket. It doesn't matter if other people are speeding. It doesn't matter if it was "only" 5 miles about the speed limit. It doesn't matter (fill in the blank) - if you get a ticket - suck up and deal with it.

25. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Let me see. I just spent $299 on an iPhone, for which I will get charged with an $18 "push a button on a computer somewhere" fee. I get charged $70/month for voice on three lines, plus the $30 on the iPhone data plan, and I also have to shell out $5 so I don't get gouged on the maybe 50 text messages I send a month.

So how much would I pay? ZIP. I just want tethering for the occasional use, not to go downloading HD movies. Surely if AT&T can succumb to the whining about I GOTTA WAIT ANOTHER MONTH UNTIL I CAN UPGRADE!, then those guys can offer some free tier of tethering to someone who will be spending $115/month once my next bill hits.