How much would you pay for a drink?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iOrlando, Feb 2, 2010.

1. iOrlando macrumors 68000

just doing some low-level research to see what consumers are willing to pay.

How much would you pay for an alcoholic drink (lets just keep it at one unit...whatever drink that may be...i.e. one beer for 5 bucks, one shot of whatever for 5 bucks etc etc)

For me...my limits are:

$5 - beer
    $7- shot of whatever
    $13 - glass of whatever

of course when out with friends, your "limits" are thrown to the window

the most I've paid was

$8 - one beer
    dont do a whole lot of shots
    $18 - glass of whatever

2. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I'm not a heavy drinker, especially in public as I'm the one who usually drives, so I almost always limit myself to one serving.

I usually avoid beer; the only beer I tolerate is Smithwick's on tap, so maybe $3 USD tops, and only if there is absolutely nothing else.

Wine, by the glass: $10 for a good Petite Syrah, $6 otherwise. If I'm at Olive Garden or Macaroni Grill, the house red usually suffices for me.

Mixed drinks/spirits: Margaritas $4, the occasional martini $7.
    Anything with Campari (I'm particularly fond of Negronis): $10; up that to $20 in the very rare case that I have two drinks out. (I stock Campari, Cinzano Rosso vermouth and Seagram's gin at home, so I can make my own Negroni and save a good bit of money.)

3. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

It really all depends where you are...places like New York City, Chicago, LA, Toronto...a 'normal' beer might be 7-8$...

To the OP...I've been to places on Miami Beach where a martini is 15-17$...:cool:

5$ for a premium beer, 7$ for a drink drink, 8$ for a wine glass...that i can live with...

I did have one night out with a client where we consumed the 40$ Johnny Walker Blue shots :D

-J.-

4. splitpea macrumors 6502a

Yeah, a beer at a typical (not fancy) sports bar around here is $7. mixed drinks start at about the same, though some places have $4 mixed drinks at happy hour (esp. specials on "girly" drinks to attract women). More at a place with a more sophisticated image, but I tend to avoid those. $8 for a (tiny) beer at the ballpark.

Plus tax and tip.

Being social is ridiculously expensive.

5. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

haha well yes, Miami beach tends to screw your mind when it comes to "normal" prices for drinks.

Like $5 for a beer is amazing to me (not remembering that you can get a 30 pack of beer for like $20 in a supermarket).

the thing with Miami Beach is everything is relative. what i mean by that is at the end of the night, it actually might be cheaper for someone to buy a bottle at a club and go the VIP route instead of paying cover just to get in and then the ridicolous prices for drinks ($20 a pop is pretty common, with $25 seen in many spots). During the offseason, you and two buddies can easily get a relatively cheap liquor (like rum or something) for $300 or so...round up to $350..split it among 3 people...about $120/each, and it actually doesnt seem that bad for a 4-5 hour retreat.

i think you get most screwed when you go to the random bars/dance halls right on ocean drive or something similar where you can get charged $20 for a soda (and 5 dollar cover), but you can bored in 15 min since the place is small or the people are lame and you move on. pretty soon you just bought 4 drinks in 4 locations for $80.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

I live in London, which is notoriously unfriendly with pricing. I think the most I've paid for a drink here was £9 ($15-ish), but it was a martini. I know they can cost a lot more than that but it was the most *I* have paid.

7. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

If I was out with friends, and the drink was very special, I'd splurge. I'd pay more if I was buying it for someone I cared about (I'm stingy with myself.) Mostly, drinks are mixed from common brands that can be bought by anyone at a good discount liquor store. Most of the time. It really would depend on the occasion and the people.

I'm big in the "buy it by the Litre and your money goes further" ideology.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Me and my buddies don't go to pubs and clubs and stuff so I don't usually spend more than £1 on a drink. Innocent Smoothies though. :eek:

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

You all need to find some better places to go. :)

I get mixed drinks here at a lot of places for $4.50-5. And those are good bars too. I expect to pay $8 for a Manhattan or gin martini. I don't do wine by the glass, it's a ripoff. Get a bottle if you want wine, and share it. Beer is around $4.

NYC isn't bad for drinks, as long as you do your homework ahead of time.

10. spice weasel macrumors 65816

Please tell me that you didn't just shoot them down, but you actually sipped and savored it.

11. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Quite true. I rarely pay more than $5 for a mixed drink or domestic draft beer and very often I pay less.

12. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I stopped going to bars a couple of years ago. Too expensive. I keep a small stock at home

[​IMG]

13. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

wow. intense

14. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

Oh they were savored...i'm a huge scotch fan...but the morning after was no good...most expensive ill and hungover morning I've ever had...couldn't even keep toast and coffee down...

I got another bottle of blue over X-mas...when I woke up the next morning my father in law had consumed 2/3 of it by himself lol...

-J.-

15. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

I can't stand most bars, especially when they are very busy or on amateur nights (New Years Eve, Halloween, St. Patricks Day). Those days tend to bring in the suburban crowds or the just turned 21ers that have no idea about proper bar etiquette. I go to one bar that is a total dive that I am good friends with the owner and have an open tab and pay it off whenever I can. Typically if I go to a bar that I have not been to I usually won't pay more than $7 for a beer. I only do shots at my local dive bar so shots are about $4.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I guess there are places that are annoyingly expensive, and the ballpark doesn't count, but I never see more than six bucks for a beer even when I'm forced to go to North Beach, even for local microbrews. My local pub does a $4 gin & tonic, $3 during happy hour.

Most I've ever spent for a single drink was $25 for a shot of Johnnie Walker Blue, just because I was curious. It was good but unsubtle. Not worth the money except for the one-time experience.

I did once see somebody throw down $200 to break out a shot of Louis XIII for the birthday of somebody who was already too drunk to know the difference, but I don't think I'll ever be that curious about anything.

17. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

What, no Campari? :D Just kidding. Admittedly, Campari is an acquired taste. People find it either intriguingly complex or way, way too bitter; there's little neutral ground.

18. spice weasel macrumors 65816

I've had a few of those mornings myself, usually after drinking Macallan. I don't know what made me feel sicker - the over-consumption of alcohol or the knowledge that, in my drunken stupidity, I paid way too much in advance for the headache I would be receiving.

19. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I don't drink beer as I never liked the taste and don't buy shots because they taste horrible, although sometimes they have their place.

I usually drink vodka tonics or vodka martinis, slightly dirty. I have been trying some scotch lately after a free sampler at The Capital Grill, some of the McCallan (sp?).

I don't mind paying 12ish for a martini, but I do try to find the happy hours. Mortons is 8 bucks and Ruths Chris where I am from was only 4 or 5 for martinis.

Most I ever paid was 85 for a 1/2 ounce of Louis XIII, but I ended up with over 2 oz of it, plus the manager gave me a sampling of the expensive stuff so I could compare for free.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Most I've payed for a beer was $10 for a 22oz Boston Lager at Gillette Stadium for a Patriots game. Usually in bars around here beers are $3.50-$6.

21. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I like my drink pricing to have 3s in it. £3.50/€3.30

Breach the £/€4 for a basic mixed drink and I'm not impressed.

I've yet to go drinking in America however.

22. Queso macrumors G4

Single unit drinks? What's the point? :D

Chuck me down for €15 for a cocktail. I'll pay a lot more for a bottle of wine, but that's more of a sharing thing.

23. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I'm sat in the pub now with my pint of ale - total cost £1.49. Superb.

24. iOrlando thread starter macrumors 68000

does anyone buy shots for the taste? I always just assumed that it is a method to get drunk quickly or if not drunk, to the point where your little "inner good self" starts to say ah screw it.

I remember I once had a cup of rum with dinner. Thought to myself, let me savior it, spread it out. I think shots would have been better after all haha.

25. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

My bitching threshold tends to be around $5 for a 12oz beer, or $8 for a well drink. Of course like you mentioned, when out with friends there's essentially no upper limit.