How My Uni Flushes Money Down the Toilet

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Epsilon88, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Epsilon88 macrumors 6502

I go to a university in Canada that, like other unis, has been in serious financial problems. We've laid off over a hundred staff and raised tuition. For some reason, though, the administration has decided to replace the perfectly decent on-campus computers (a mix of PCs and 24" iMacs) with Mac Pros and 27 inch cinema displays! I checked the educational discount, and they would be getting the Pros for $2500 each, and the displays for $1100. They could have an alternate financing plan, though.

But here's the kicker: students aren't allowed or able to do ANYTHING beyond word processing and Internet surfing on these machines. All that processing power going to waste.

The library has also opened a "games room", with 2 X-boxes, 2 Playstations and 3 Wiis.

*sigh*

2. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

3. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

While it still seems like a waste, I am certain they got much more than the standard EDU discount. THere are also some gains in the fact that everything is uniform and thus easier and less costly to maintain. However, I think you would still have a hard time proving the ROI.

4. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

They might have gotten a grant for the new machines. Rich guys will do that so they can have their name immortalized on a brick in the campus sidewalk.

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Also do you know if any of the staff use the machines for there studies? Was there a grant thatbwas used for the purchase? Was there a donation from an alumni?

6. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

There was not a donation from alumni. I went into the Apple site pretending to be a mass purchaser (higher education), and the discount was very meagre. Staff don't use these computers; they are all used by the students (90% of the time Facebook and YouTube, 10% Word).

There was not a donation by an alumni as far as I'm aware. It's silly, because they are replacing beautiful iMacs and perfectly functioning PCs with these things. When you log in, it's locked so that you can only perform very basic functions. I hope they stop this Mac Pro campaign, even though I like Mac Pros (when they're actually used properly). Meanwhile, the uni has laid off half of its part time lecturers. Grr.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Again it could be an alumi donation money that alumi stated when giving the money it was going to be used for new computers. School has to spend the money on new computers. Hell it could be a lot of alumi donation that added up but still seems like a huge waste of money to only have them sit there and do basic web computer stuff.

8. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I doubt that an alumni would donate a huge amount of money and specify that it has to be used specifically for new Mac Pros. New computers, maybe, but then in that case, the university would have been better off buying 21.5" iMacs ($1200 after discount) than Mac Pros w/ Cinema Displays ($3600).

9. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

10. Disc Golfer macrumors 6502a

Since that's what the majority of university students use their computers for anyway wouldn't any purchase of a mac for use by college kids be considered flushing money down the toilet?

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

From personal experience working in my school's OIT department, even if they are just word processors, it's a hell of a lot less work to keep everything running mac wise.

Seems like our fleet of PC's (brand new mind you) always seems to have someone running somewhere to fix an issue.

The mac labs really only have problems when buggy software updates come out.

12. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

welcome to the world of corruption and incompetence in "higher" education. It gets worse :mad:

13. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, since that 10% who use the computers for productivity mostly don't have their own laptops, and deserve to have on-campus computers available to them. However, it doesn't make sense to buy computers with features that will never be used.

I have no idea what happened to the remaining comps.

14. oilers15 macrumors regular

oilers15

15. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

Could this have played a role in paying for the MACs?

16. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess that's possible, but considering how much used computers lose value, it doesn't seem like it would be worth the return of investment. As for the uni's location, I think I'd like to keep my location private. :)

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I don't think the OP knows all the circumstances and is just hypothesizing, neither of which are helpful.

OP, if you are really concerned, go talk to the department in charge of buying them..

18. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I agree. But it should help, and the school might have gotten more of a discount than you received on your 'checkout.'

19. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, but that wouldn't do any good really. My uni management is like Steve Jobs; they have a clear idea of where they want to go, whether students like it or not. Sometimes it works out well, others time not. Strangely, my uni also has one of the highest paid Presidents in North America (among other unis), even though it's way down on the international list.

I think I made it pretty clear that I don't know "all" the details, duke. :rolleyes:

20. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Then how can you state your university is wasting money if you don't know all the details?

That is/was the premise for this thread no?

21. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but in the original post I made it clear what I do and don't know about the circumstances of the situation. So your addition was rather redundant. Also, there's no question that the processing power of those comps and library space dedicated to gaming is going to waste.

Anyway, my Prez was removed from office, and we're getting a new one. Hopefully this will improve.

22. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

So this thread is rather meaningless then until you do know. Understood

Edit: I see you edited your original post at 2:16pm MT to make it clear what you do and don't know lol

23. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wait a couple minutes before replying. Read my post in full: wasting processing power and games. Then post.

re: editing my post

Yes, I edited it, since clearly it was causing you anguish. Surely you have better things to do on your spare time than nitpick.

(PS: I'm probably being a little harsh here, but it has struck me as strange how high-strung some forum posters are. Just chill and let people vent if they want to without adding snide comments.)

24. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Thanks but I will post according to how I see it posted at the time I am reading the thread

Regarding "wish people would chill", I would say that that very advice can be applied to this situation and not getting so worked up about it!

25. Epsilon88 thread starter macrumors 6502

I already stated that I looked up the prices - that implies that its my own research and not necessarily a fact. I'm surprised that I have to spell this out. Anyway, sometimes tone can sound different on the Internet. I'll assume you were just being helpful.