Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
The day Asimovs robots become a reality would be quite interesting, I doubt they'd run on Windows or Mac OS though likely the OS used involving the three laws will be Linux based likely since it is open source and no royalties would have to be paid to Apple or Microsoft, you'd be surprised how many of the complex gadgets we take for granted use Linux because if they used any software other than that electronics manufacturers would have to pay through the nose for the licensing fees or perhaps pass them on to the consumers.

spaceboots06

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
The Rotten Apple
Two chimpanzees have much more processing power than a human.

Your point?

Processing power is the ability to manipulate data. Chimpanzees can not manipulate even half of the data we can. Chimpanzees can execute basic motor functions and carry out simple tasks, not solve physics problems.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
I am reading Kurzweil's book right now, although have only just started. I won't comment on what I think will happen in the future, but what is interesting in the book so far is how he highlights the fact that we are in the midst of exponential curve with respect to technology.

Most of us make future projections based on past experience, and expect the pace of progress in technology to follow past patterns. While this is a close approximation when you are on the "flat" of the exponential curve, once you hit the "knee" of the curve things take off very quickly. Kurzweil suggests that we are entering into this "knee" phase of the growth curve now.

If this indeed is the case, it will be very interesting times in these next 30-40 years.

Eric5h5

macrumors 68020
Dec 9, 2004
Chimpanzees can execute basic motor functions and carry out simple tasks, not solve physics problems.

That's what they want you to think. ;)

Anyway, simply having the ability to make calculations really really fast and having lots of RAM doesn't make a machine "intelligent". It's still as dumb as a rock. No matter how fast it goes and how much storage it has, it won't get any smarter. What makes us smart (or, at least, smarter than a rock) isn't particularly related to how fast we can calculate stuff.

--Eric

chaos86

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2003
Sorry guys, but The Singularity is way off. There's one thing everyone is assuming will happen, that we've seen no evidence of, or steps towards, that has to happen before (or at) the singularity.

Artificial creativity.

So far, nothing has ever been programmed to think creatively. We haven't even programmed anything to learn, which is the first step toward creativity. We program things to remember patterns and make programmed assumptions about what might happen next, and we call that learning for marketing purposes, but they aren't seeing anything we haven't told them to look for and they aren't making decisions we haven't told them to make.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Sorry guys, but The Singularity is way off. There's one thing everyone is assuming will happen, that we've seen no evidence of, or steps towards, that has to happen before (or at) the singularity.

Artificial creativity.

So far, nothing has ever been programmed to think creatively. We haven't even programmed anything to learn, which is the first step toward creativity. We program things to remember patterns and make programmed assumptions about what might happen next, and we call that learning for marketing purposes, but they aren't seeing anything we haven't told them to look for and they aren't making decisions we haven't told them to make.

I think we'll get there one day, just not in my lifetime.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
So far, nothing has ever been programmed to think creatively. We haven't even programmed anything to learn, which is the first step toward c.reativity We program things to remember patterns and make programmed assumptions about what might happen next, and we call that learning for marketing purposes, but they aren't seeing anything we haven't told them to look for and they aren't making decisions we haven't told them to make.

Ah but thats where your wrong. There was a lab robot that was able to design and execute its own experiment.

Still, AI anywhere near threatening is a LONG way off, after all, someone would have to program it and it would only be as smart as we can think logically. If a programmer cant think of a way to make a certain thought process happen, its not gonna happen.

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
Well, we can teach computers to "learn" but only if we have a very cconstrained definition of learning. And there are incredible programs that can have computers mimc Bach and drawings. There are story generators that will produce suspense stories. Much depends on how you define learning and creativity. And humans are still way faster at alogical, non rule-based thinking.

Kurzweill places much stock on the higher order thinking that is used when most of us think of "intelligence", and on symbolic representations that are in "the head" (read CPU in the computer). I favor Rodney Brooks' insect robots, that use a bottom-up approach to how creatures interact with the environment, and learn from these interactions. The nature of these "beings" may evolve to something more like sentient creatures, which is where the scary stuff begins.

http://singinst.org/

Apr 10, 2007
If you think about it, it will be nice to live in a Human zoo, the robots will feed us, keep us healthy, and give us a comfortable living environment, and we won't have to work! But thats assuming that there will be a robot organization for the humane treatment of humans :p.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.