How often do you cancel a partially typed post?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by someguy, Jun 7, 2007.

?

How often you do back out on posting something you've already typed?

1. Almost always. I'm very indecisive.

5 vote(s)
    4.9%
  2. Most of the time.

25 vote(s)
    24.5%
  3. Not usually.

51 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Almost never.

18 vote(s)
    17.6%
  5. Never. Once I enter text, I'm committed.

3 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

This may have already come up before, but I couldn't find it so:

A lot of times when I'm posting I don't actually end up submitting what I've typed. Sometimes I decide that I really can't put the words together, sometimes I decide what I wrote was too offensive or crossing a line of some type, and sometimes I read what I wrote and it just sounds stupid.

Either way, I probably do this with 25% of the posts I actually type up (a lot overly offensive posts in the PRSI Forum or I decide I just don't feel strongly enough to argue my point), so it got me wondering if anyone else does this, and if so, for what reasons?

2. furious macrumors 65816

furious

five or six times a day. Similar reasons as you. I don't feel strongly about the topic, I don't feel my opinion is valid, people often interpret me differently than what I meant in real life so I figure that on the internet like email etc. to will be worse. I need some comas. Anyone got any spare?

3. Fearless Leader macrumors 68020

almost never, edit: mis read.

anyways, its still almost never. The main reason is often weather my sarcasm or my joke either comes through or just angers people.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

5. DZ/015 macrumors 6502a

DZ/015

Why would you even begin typing if you had no

6. bartelby macrumors Core

7. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

I do it quite a few times.

Its like type type type, then hmmm I can't be bothered finishing this or this reply is pointless etc.

Glad I'm not the only one.

8. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Another reason I do it a lot of the PRSI forum is that I never really know what the hell everyone is talking about in those threads, so when I do have an opinion, I usually end up figuring it won't make any sense given I don't really understand what the topic is anyways.

Maybe I should watch the news now and again or something. Honestly, most of what I know about what's going on in the news I learned here. :eek:

9. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

"Almost always. I'm very indecisive (and anxious)." I'd say 70-80% of the time. In fact, pressing "Submit Reply" is usually like taking a leap. I usually nervously click away from the thread right after posting. I have no idea why, but it can be quite nerve-wracking. :eek:

I also edit constantly (before and after the fact), and preview the post fifty times before actually submitting it. I'm not quite certain how I've managed to write ~700 responses. :p

10. someguy thread starter macrumors 68020

someguy

Well, I'd like to thank you for submitting this one. I know it wasn't easy for you. :p ;)

11. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i thought i was the only one :cool:

i just did it in the thread about the best guitarist. i knew what i wanted to say, but i didn't know how to put it down in a way that made sense.

12. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I sometimes do – on occasion I'll type a post but then have a bit of a quandary about whether or not I'm adding anything of worth to the discussion. Not that I generally do anyway, mind. :eek: ;)

13. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I do it whenever I see someone post something stupid. I don't mean stupid as in funny. I mean something that's meant to make another person feel like an idiot for even trying.

14. Queso macrumors G4

I like to pretend it's a form of mature self-censorship, but then reading through the crap I do submit that's probably not a valid statement :rolleyes:

Yeah, for the same reasons as the posters above. Probably a couple of times a day.

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I do it about once a day, usually because I feel that what I had written was not explained very well, (like this post), then I think about rewriting it by which time the question may be answered or something else has my attention, I usually have music, forum spy and eyeTV all going at once, sometimes even when i'm working. So

16. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Funny thread. I do that same for the same reasons the OP mentioned.

Not sure which option I should pick for the poll as they dont seem to make sense to me. My answer would be "I do it occasionally" I guess "not usually" would be my official answer, but Id say probably out of say 50 posts, I might do it 3 or 4 times, so occasionally seems to fit better.

17. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

Quite often although sometimes instead I continue to edit it over and over again until someone else has already replied and has answered the question,

18. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I do it all the time...

Whenever I've typed up a post (sometimes even while typing) I think to myself: "Does this add anything remotely interesting to this thread?" and if the question is "no", then I just don't hit that [Submit Reply] button...

This post is clearly an exception... ;)

19. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Not too much so. :)

20. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I've been doing this more and more often, lately. Dunno why. I end up getting bored halfway through a post, and deciding just not to finish writing it. :p

21. MacAnkka macrumors regular

I decide to press reply relatively rarely, and when I do, about 50% of the time I don't press submit.

English isn't my native language, so it's sometimes quite hard to put my thoughts in to words.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

fairly often for me. i open up a reply, start typing and just can't say what i want to effectively so i leave it be.

23. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I catch myself "shooting from the hip" sometimes before I've really thought about what to say and when I read a post or two before I submit, I usually find I'm either not saying anything new, not being funny, or saying something almost completely off-topic.

...but that's about the only time I'll cancel a post, and that'll only happen once a day or so.

24. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've done it before but don't do it particularly often. I usually do it when I realize that what I've typed makes no sense at all and is completely wrong :eek:

25. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Very often for me. It's so easy to be misunderstood on a forum. In 'real life' I don't recall ever having a huge disagreement with anyone (I'm very laid back), but on here people get the wrong end of the stick and the vitriol starts :(