How often do you clean the crown?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Zaft, Oct 6, 2015.

1. Zaft macrumors 68040

Zaft

My crown gets mushy and hard to move every day. I have to clean it everyday for it to be smooth.
    This cant be normal, anyone else have to clean it everyday? Pressing the crown gets no audible click and rotating the crown is rough, almost stuck at times.

I made a genius bar appointment.

EDIT: Its a 42 Sport

2. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

You can rinse with water, just make sure it's clean and not soapy or anything.

3. Zaft thread starter macrumors 68040

Zaft

Yes that's I have been doing. The thing is I have to do this every single day. That cant be right.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I rinse my watch once a week and the crown has been OK.

It sound like you have more going on and if a wash does not cure it then Apple should replace. They have had several crown seals pop out of the watch all chewed up.

Let us know how it turns out.

5. HowlinAl macrumors regular

HowlinAl

I'm pretty sweaty, I guess. I'm outdoors a lot and pretty active. My crown needs cleaned every few days. But not every day. That genius appointment is probably a good idea.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

Sorry, misread your initial post about where you said you were cleaning it every day. Yeah as others have said if you need to rinse every day then get it serviced, you did the right thing.

7. testcard macrumors 68040

testcard

I've had my Watch since June and I've never had to rinse the Crown. Still spins smoothly.

8. ddrulez macrumors regular

Same for me. Never washed the crown.

9. gsmornot macrumors 68030

gsmornot

I wash mine about once per week now that its cooler outside. When I was out in the sun more and would sweat more, I would wash it daily after a workout. I need to wash it today in fact and plan to do so in a little while.

10. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I've never washed my crown, specifically, but I do shower with my Watch on nearly every day.

11. MrJM macrumors 6502

MrJM

12. shooter03 macrumors regular

shooter03

just reading through this and mines the same as the op. It's like it gets stuck and i have to give it a good push to get it moving, i don't wanna seem picky so i've never thought of taking it back. Also i read someone showers with their watch on?? are they really that waterproof?

13. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

Yep, rated to stay in 3ft of water for 30 min. I believe even Tim Cook said he showers in his. I bought AppleCare+ and just wear it doing everything without worry. I plan on snorkeling with it, too.

14. Zaft thread starter macrumors 68040

Zaft

Would be interesting to see if this happens more with the sports vs the steel.

15. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Never tbh. I only wipe the screen with what's at hand in that moment (t-shirt, cuff). No issues at all.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I rarely wash my watch, in fact I've not done it for a couple of weeks now. I had not noticed any issues with the crown. I do have a luvvitt ultra armor case on the watch which may protect the crown from crap getting caught in it, I don't know but I do know that I've not needed to deal with any crown issues so far.

17. Expidia macrumors member

Expidia

Wow, I would think wearing an apple watch in the shower is really a sign of severe "device attachment" . . .
    If the iphone was water resistant does this mean users would stand it up in the soap tray while showering incase they get a text :):(:eek:

18. prezasti macrumors 6502

prezasti

I had the sport for a few weeks and out of the Box I was having similar issues as the OP, but I never cleaned it. I didn't think I needed to, because I'm usually in an office setting with the watch. I assumed it was just normal until I recently switched to the Space Black SS. The crown on the SS is very smooth and fast along with button action. It is a noticeable day and night difference.

This could be normal for all Apple Watches and my day has yet to come on the new watch, but maybe some of the first run Sports had issues?

19. AppleB macrumors 6502a

AppleB

I've never cleaned the crown on my Sport Watch and it works the same as day one.

20. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

It's a great time to clean a watch, particular those with metal bracelets. Lots of Rolex wearers do the same, which is where I picked up the habit, years ago.

21. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Did you make a survey for this?

22. AppleB macrumors 6502a

AppleB

I follow the Apple Watch guide and don't shower with it. According to the guide showering with it can affect its water resistance because of the pressurized water affecting the seals. According to the guide once the seals are affected they can't be fixed.
    I just wipe my watch with a dry microfiber cloth.

23. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

I'm a long time poster on Rolex forums. It's pretty common knowledge over there. Rolex bracelets stretch over time, due to particulates that build up and slowly wear away the steel in the pin cavity. Lots, but obviously not all, of Rolex wearers lightly clean their watch in the shower to combat this.

While my Apple Watch isn't as waterproof as my Rolex, it's relatively inexpensive, and I have AppleCare+, so I'm not worried about it.

24. iphone joe macrumors regular

iphone joe

Do you think putting the apple link bracelet under water daily could damage it? Maybe not the water but the soap and stuff going all over it?

25. douglasf13 macrumors 65816

It shouldn't. I always rinse the watch off really well right before I get out of the shower. I've never had an issue doing this with any of my steel watch bracelets.