How often do you clean the crown?

Zaft

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
My crown gets mushy and hard to move every day. I have to clean it everyday for it to be smooth.
This cant be normal, anyone else have to clean it everyday? Pressing the crown gets no audible click and rotating the crown is rough, almost stuck at times.

I made a genius bar appointment.

EDIT: Its a 42 Sport

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
My crown gets mushy and hard to move every day. I have to clean it everyday for it to be smooth.
This cant be normal, anyone else have to clean it everyday? Pressing the crown gets no audible click and rotating the crown is rough, almost stuck at times.

I made a genius bar appointment.

EDIT: Its a 42 Sport
You can rinse with water, just make sure it's clean and not soapy or anything.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I rinse my watch once a week and the crown has been OK.

It sound like you have more going on and if a wash does not cure it then Apple should replace. They have had several crown seals pop out of the watch all chewed up.

Let us know how it turns out.

HowlinAl

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2014
I'm pretty sweaty, I guess. I'm outdoors a lot and pretty active. My crown needs cleaned every few days. But not every day. That genius appointment is probably a good idea.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Yes that's I have been doing. The thing is I have to do this every single day. That cant be right.
Sorry, misread your initial post about where you said you were cleaning it every day. Yeah as others have said if you need to rinse every day then get it serviced, you did the right thing.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I wash mine about once per week now that its cooler outside. When I was out in the sun more and would sweat more, I would wash it daily after a workout. I need to wash it today in fact and plan to do so in a little while.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I've never washed my crown, specifically, but I do shower with my Watch on nearly every day.

shooter03

macrumors regular
Mar 31, 2013
Pakenham, Victoria,Australia
just reading through this and mines the same as the op. It's like it gets stuck and i have to give it a good push to get it moving, i don't wanna seem picky so i've never thought of taking it back. Also i read someone showers with their watch on?? are they really that waterproof?

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
just reading through this and mines the same as the op. It's like it gets stuck and i have to give it a good push to get it moving, i don't wanna seem picky so i've never thought of taking it back. Also i read someone showers with their watch on?? are they really that waterproof?
Yep, rated to stay in 3ft of water for 30 min. I believe even Tim Cook said he showers in his. I bought AppleCare+ and just wear it doing everything without worry. I plan on snorkeling with it, too.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I rarely wash my watch, in fact I've not done it for a couple of weeks now. I had not noticed any issues with the crown. I do have a luvvitt ultra armor case on the watch which may protect the crown from crap getting caught in it, I don't know but I do know that I've not needed to deal with any crown issues so far.

Expidia

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2015
Yep, rated to stay in 3ft of water for 30 min. I believe even Tim Cook said he showers in his. I bought AppleCare+ and just wear it doing everything without worry. I plan on snorkeling with it, too.
Wow, I would think wearing an apple watch in the shower is really a sign of severe "device attachment" . . .
If the iphone was water resistant does this mean users would stand it up in the soap tray while showering incase they get a text :):(:eek:

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Would be interesting to see if this happens more with the sports vs the steel.
I had the sport for a few weeks and out of the Box I was having similar issues as the OP, but I never cleaned it. I didn't think I needed to, because I'm usually in an office setting with the watch. I assumed it was just normal until I recently switched to the Space Black SS. The crown on the SS is very smooth and fast along with button action. It is a noticeable day and night difference.

This could be normal for all Apple Watches and my day has yet to come on the new watch, but maybe some of the first run Sports had issues?

AppleB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I've never cleaned the crown on my Sport Watch and it works the same as day one.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Wow, I would think wearing an apple watch in the shower is really a sign of severe "device attachment" . . .
If the iphone was water resistant does this mean users would stand it up in the soap tray while showering incase they get a text :):(:eek:
It's a great time to clean a watch, particular those with metal bracelets. Lots of Rolex wearers do the same, which is where I picked up the habit, years ago.

AppleB

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2011
I follow the Apple Watch guide and don't shower with it. According to the guide showering with it can affect its water resistance because of the pressurized water affecting the seals. According to the guide once the seals are affected they can't be fixed.
I just wipe my watch with a dry microfiber cloth.

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Did you make a survey for this?
I'm a long time poster on Rolex forums. It's pretty common knowledge over there. Rolex bracelets stretch over time, due to particulates that build up and slowly wear away the steel in the pin cavity. Lots, but obviously not all, of Rolex wearers lightly clean their watch in the shower to combat this.

While my Apple Watch isn't as waterproof as my Rolex, it's relatively inexpensive, and I have AppleCare+, so I'm not worried about it.

iphone joe

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
NY
I'm a long time poster on Rolex forums. It's pretty common knowledge over there. Rolex bracelets stretch over time, due to particulates that build up and slowly wear away the steel in the pin cavity. Lots, but obviously not all, of Rolex wearers lightly clean their watch in the shower to combat this.

While my Apple Watch isn't as waterproof as my Rolex, it's relatively inexpensive, and I have AppleCare+, so I'm not worried about it.
Do you think putting the apple link bracelet under water daily could damage it? Maybe not the water but the soap and stuff going all over it?

douglasf13

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Do you think putting the apple link bracelet under water daily could damage it? Maybe not the water but the soap and stuff going all over it?
It shouldn't. I always rinse the watch off really well right before I get out of the shower. I've never had an issue doing this with any of my steel watch bracelets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.