How often do you update your computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mtfield, Aug 4, 2008.

?

How long do you keep your mac?

1. until the next revision

3 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. 1-2 years

20 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. 3-4 years

39 vote(s)
    48.8%
  4. 4+

18 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. mtfield macrumors 6502

Just wondering how long people hold on to their macs

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Held on to the white macbook almost two years. I'll probably hold on to this one until the apple care runs out.

3. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

4. atluten macrumors 6502

I'm still on my first mac, a Powerbook G4. It's 4 years old. Plan on upgrading when that number becomes 5.

5. bov macrumors 6502

trying to make this baby last for at LEAST 4 years. :D

6. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I still use my PowerMac G4 QuickSilver that was purchased in November of 2001 if I'm not mistaken! : D

I love it too!

Of course I upgraded it some.

7. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Usually, I update my Mac every two years. After two years, I can still sell old computer for reasonable amount of money. This works for me.

8. Dmac77 macrumors 68020

Dmac77

About every 3 years for me. My first computer (Compaq) was purchased in '99, that was replaced by a Dell in '02, I then got a Sony VAIO in 2005, then I replaced that one with my iMac last November ('07). I plan on getting a MBP to compliment my iMac around christmas, or if I can justify it I'll wait for Nehalem (so far away!!!!!). I would upgrade every year or two if my parents could afford it and would allow me, my Mom thinks that computers should last 20 years:confused:.

Don

9. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Agreed.

I got my first MacBookPro about 2 years a few months ago (around when they came out in Feb of '06) and plan on getting one in a month or so when the new MBP's come out

I like getting top technology and I think getting 2 great years out of it is enough for me to put in the closet as a backup just in case.

As for my iMac, I plan on using it until it falls apart as it has now worked for 2 years rock solid without any glitches and I will stay with it if it continues like such

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Where do you sell it?

11. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

In Poland, on the polish auction website.

12. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I am going to go out on a limb and say I won't be doing that :D

13. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

This is a bit of a tricky question since when I buy a new mac I don't get rid of the one it replaces. I have a powerbook and an iMac G3 in use. I plan to buy a Mac Pro when it gets updated along with the displays but this will be an additional machine since I still will need the portabillity and it is too good to replace the G3. So I guess I will end up with 3 macs in a 25 m2 working room.

Let us say that I buy a new mac every 3 to 5 years.

14. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

I prefer to have only one Mac, since then I have no problems with the synchronization of data. It's all a matter of personal choice really.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's hard to say considering this is my first Mac and no other revisions have been released yet. My goal is 2-3 years. I'm not into selling to upgrade business. I've had a X60 Tablet a year now? And another older computer I sold at 2 years.

16. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Let's see.. family computers: Mac Classic ----> Performa 6205 CD ---> Beige G3..... my own computers Toshiba Tecra A4 (2005) ---> MacBook Pro (circa September 2008)....

Not very often :)

17. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

About every three-four years, a little more frequently in recent times; first was a desktop bought in the mid 1990s, then an Olivetti laptop, bought 1999, then Toshiba Satellite Pro, bought 2003, then a Sony VAIO, bought 2006, and now an MBP, bought (and eagerly anticipated, and much loved) this April.

:apple: MBP 15.4", 2.4 Ghz, 2 GB RAM, 160 HDD
    :apple: iPod Classic, Black, 30 GB

18. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I used my G4 sawtooth up till the Alum iMacs came out --- the year or so before i did a processor upgrade, boosted the ram (hard drive ofcourse) but it just wasn't the same
    the iMac just SCREAMS

I'm back in school again after a year and half of working, i had a little extra cash kicking around to buy the iMac a few months ago, but now It's back to spending on classes, i'm taking a few extra courses to meet the requirements for a few masters programs I'm interested in taking -- might get a laptop when/if i start a program like that --- AND the program requires it (IE MBA)

19. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hhhmmm my family has had these

apple ][e.

apple mac plus

apple lc575 (forever ago)

apple 550 (1996)

imac g3 graphite (2000)

ibook (2004)

mbp (2006)

imac (2007)

still got all since the 550 lol, wont be upgrading until Q3 2009 when the quad cores are going sweet as.

20. Mangaroo macrumors regular

im always telling myself that since comps are getting so fast that i will be able to hold on for longer and longer...and that is true to some extent...but i am planning on getting a nehalem mac pro 8 cores ...just a sucker.

I guess all i really need is nehalem...right? :p

21. yomibro macrumors regular

6 months on a Mac Pro and counting, don't really expect to be upgrading to anything else anytime soon aside from getting an ACD when the new models come out (eventually).

22. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I'm going to make my MBP last 3 years, until AppleCare runs out. At that point I will probably still hold on to it but will likely move up to an iMac or Mac Pro.

23. chrisbeebops macrumors regular

So far it has worked out to be every 5 to 6 years.

My previous desktop was purchased in 2003 and consisted of a P4HT 2.8GHz, 512MB ram, and a ATi 9800Pro 256MB for slightly more than $1,000. Since then, I popped in 2GB more of ram as an upgrade ($100) and replaced the video card with a ATi x1950Pro when the 9800Pro just after the 4 year mark ($150).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the computer. Everything still runs smooth. Games... I can't run max settings anymore, but every game can still run on medium or low settings at a good fps.

The computer I had before that was a AMD K6-2 333MHz with 64MB ram and some no name video card. It also worked beautifully for Internet, MSOffice, and gaming (Diablo II and Starcraft). The upgrade in 2003 was a 10x increase in power. I upgraded because I needed Adobe Acrobat and Illustrator apps for work, and they didn't run on it.

To be honest, the computer I had was fine. The only reason I upgraded because I wanted a Mac and I wanted a laptop. My June 2007 MBP fit the bill perfectly (a bit expensive, but I needed a dedicated video card for some of my work applications. At the time of purchase, *all* laptops with an 8600M GT or faster were $1750-2000+ anyway, so the "Mac Tax" wasn't too bad imo.). Other than a battery gone bad in January (Apple shipped a replacement overnight), I haven't had any issues.

24. therealmrbob macrumors regular

therealmrbob

#1 Emachines desktop - 2003 (idr the model name, maybe I'll check later)
    #2 Custom Built PC - 2006
    #3 Macbook Pro - 2008

so 2 - 3 I plan on keeping this macbook for four or five, But I'll be getting an iMac (possibly a mac pro, still thinking on this) in either 2009 or 2010 but it won't replace this macbook.

25. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

It seems that most of the computers have a life of 3-4 years before the new models are to good to resist. The only time I strayed from the 3-4 years for me was when We went INTEL.