How often do you upgrade your computer/get a new computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by wineandcarbs, Feb 19, 2012.

1. wineandcarbs macrumors 6502a

Just as the title says: How often do you upgrade your computer/get a new computer?

Curious what you guys do. :)

2. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

When the one i currently have gets to slow to do what i need it to do, or won't run the apps i need it to :)

3. iforbes macrumors 6502

4. SisterRay macrumors regular

When I buy my new MacBook Pro (2012) it will be 6 years. But I should have done it about a year ago.

But really when my computer becomes noticeably slow, it starts to fail, or when it is no longer supported. For example my MacBook is not supported foe OS X Lion

5. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

I have upgraded my PC once in 10 years, 3 years prior to this post to be exact and it is still running strong. As for macs, I have yet to upgrade the one I use after 1 year.

6. joshuaginter macrumors regular

I got a little stupid in the last 8-10 months and have gone through 4 different Macs. I finally found the one I like and that fits for what I need. I have sold all of the rest of them.

As long as your Mac is supported, I don't see the need to upgrade. Or if it becomes too slow for the work that you need to get done. SSD's seem to do the trick then too...

7. imlovin macrumors newbie

Like others only when needed. So far in the past 5 years, I've only replaced once when my windows crashed on me for the last time. I'm already itching for an upgrade but really don't need it so probably another year or so.

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Around every 4-5 years unless i need it beforehand e.g. my current one breaks or becomes unusable.

9. Medic278 macrumors 6502a

Medic278

Every 18-24 months unless I break one or something.

10. Bear macrumors G3

When one is needed. That has been as short as 2 years because the machine could no longer keep up with what I wanted it to do to as long as 6 years.

11. kywildcats macrumors member

I ordered my mac 2 days ago. I have had my windows :eek: laptop for almost 5 years. This is my first Mac and I can not wait until it comes in (Feb. 27-29)

12. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

13. tarponbeach macrumors member

I don't think that you will be disappointed. My 13" MBP is my first Apple product in 20 years, and I could not be happier. It does everything well, and I'm so glad to be out of the evil clutches of Microsoft, and into the evil clutches of the Cuppertino gang.

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Two to four years.

I get a rebate from my company that offsets my purchase, and then generally speaking if I sell my existing laptop, that more or less pays for the newer model.

15. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Two to four years. In recent years, though, the cycle is closer to two than four.

16. -y0- macrumors 6502

-y0-

17. Freyqq macrumors 68040

~four years. However, I usually seem to add onto my setup with the newer computer rather than just replace the old one.

18. thundersteele macrumors 68030

3-4 years.

I'm 30 now. I was 12 or 13 when I got my first PC. Since december I'm on my 6th machine... that's about 3.5 years per machine.

I just put ML on my 2008 MBP... it's slow! And the trackpad (pre-unibody) is way too small for gestures!

19. TexasChemE macrumors 6502a

TexasChemE

There really isn't an accurate timeframe for me, it has varied for me. My first upgrade was because I accidentally dropped my HP laptop (whoops), so I decided to get a MacBook after having my HP for 3 years. I got my MacBook Pro after having my Macbook for only 2 years because I needed more power/storage, but now I plan on keeping my MBP for a while, especially if I put an SSD in it.

20. camardelle macrumors 6502

Usually when my current system turns to poop. My current windows based system was poop when I bought it so I've endured that computer way too long. I've used it for a couple years, but have recently upgraded to an iMac and macbook pro. Both grand systems.

21. Murgatroyd314 macrumors regular

When my old computer can no longer quite keep up with what I want it to do, when parts start to wear out, or when I start doing something new with it that could really use a better machine. In the time I've been buying my own Macs, that's about every four years.

22. 808? macrumors 6502a

3-4 years, but usually have some overlap between new/old desktops and laptops that I use.

23. ET3SW macrumors regular

I tend to be about every 18 months or so with my laptops and about 3 years on my desktops. I try to time the purchases with refreshes but sometime that does not always work. Come to think of it my Mac Pro just hit 3 years this month....I guess i should go shopping soon :D

24. AppleFanBoy888 macrumors member