All iPads How often do you upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Ih8reno, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I had the 1 gen and now the 3rd gen iPad and loved both of them. I see a lot of people on here who seem to upgrade with each release. Just curious, why are you compelled to change to a new iPad (iPad 4) when you have a perfectly good one already?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

So far every cycle. On the fence w/ 4 though. I'll see what the 3 is getting on eBay when the LTE version ships.

3. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I'm not.

4. tann macrumors 68000

Once I graduate and if I get a reasonably paid job I probably will each release, but I don't spend much money on anything other than food and accommodation really!

Otherwise 2-3 years for an iPad I think :) Only really use it for Netflix and video watching (with some web browsing and Facebook!).

5. erratikmind macrumors 6502a

erratikmind

As with everything else, I purchase new Apple products when my current ones cease to function.

I expect my iPad 2 to work well for the next 2 years.

6. Lampmeister macrumors member

I've yet to upgrade, as my 1st gen is still rocking right along. (But I upgrade my iPhone with every other new model.)

7. Gaelic2 macrumors 6502

I had the original, then upgraded to iPad3 which I really like. I will hold onto this one for the next 3 or 4 years just like I do with iMacs.

8. glen e macrumors 68030

every cycle...I like new sh** and have the money to do it....that simple...

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I still have the iPad 2 and still don't see any compelling enough reason to upgrade. My wife still loves her first gen.

10. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I did 1 and 2... Gave the 2 away and now have none. Pre-ordered the mini. The regular one is too big for what I want it for, just browsing and social media mostly.

11. jimboutilier macrumors 6502a

When there is a feature I find compelling, I upgrade.

I went from a 1 to a 2 for the facetime camera. I travel a lot so thats important to keep in touch with my family.

And although i did not find any of the ipad 3 features compelling I am going to try a mini, again due to travel where smaller and lighter is usually better.

12. Noisemaker Guest

This will likely be my last big "round" of upgrades. I'm going to stick with my iPhone 5 until the 6, and iPad 4/Mini until major revisions of both.

Prior, I've had every revision. It's just not needed.

13. sovereign macrumors 6502

sovereign

Planned to this time but due to the piss poor rumor reporting for the 4 I missed the boat.

14. hoyaspook macrumors member

It depends. I still have a 2008 iMac and the first aluminum 13" Macbook as my primary machines. I don't see myself upgrading any time soon.

I went from the iPhone, to the 3GS and then to the 4S. I'll probably keep my 4S through the 5S. I upgraded each time because the incremental iOS upgrades made each previous generation of the iPhone rather slow.

I just upgraded my iPad (the original one) to the new iPad because I find it painfully slow since the upgrade to iOS 5, so much so that I don't use it that much anymore. Surfing isn't great and apps like the New Yorker crash frequently.

I probably won't upgrade my iPad for 2-3 years.

I've gotten less upgrade happy in my old age.

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I have the iPad [3] and have no desire to upgrade to the [4]. So far I plan on keeping this one until its useless or something bad happens to it, then will upgrade to what ever is out.

16. steve dave macrumors 6502a

I upgrade every time there is an update to my MacBook Air and iphone. I have also updated to every ipad but I am going from the 3 to the mini this time around. If I use the mini as much as I think I will I am sure I will upgrade to every new one.

17. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

Same here. Im just a little worn out by the ipad 2 form factor that has been present in the last 3 ipads. Gimmie something new! gimmie ipad Mini!

18. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

Every cycle because resale (Ebay) has been great for me. I've sold every iPad I've owned for 30-50 bucks short of what I bought it for.

19. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Every cycle it seems for me. I've had the iPad 1, 2, 3, and now I'm waiting for the iPad Mini. I went from the 3 to the mini mainly due to size.

20. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

Whenever the upgrade is worth it. So far from the first to second to third has been. I am skipping out on fourth because I only use the connector for charging and a keyboard once in a while and the ipad I have feels fast enough in comparison to the 4th gen.

21. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Have 64GB 3G iPad 1, and don't feel the need to upgrade yet. The new ones are nice, but the one I have still works perfect

22. advan031 macrumors 6502

I upgraded from iPad 1 to iPad 2 to the new iPad but now I'll be upgrading every other generation.

23. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

I seem to upgrade every other release. I guess if I had kids or something to give as pass me downs then I'd have an excuse to buy every upgrade. For now, I just don't see an urgent need. Especially not for the Ipad4. After I see how the mini is in person, I may get that for portability reasons but I am not happy it doesn't come w retina display.

I'm pretty pleased w the cycle I'm on. Got iphone 4, skipped the 4s but got the 5. Got ipad3 skipping the 4 bc the 5 will have better upgrades.

24. ercsliberty macrumors 6502

25. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

For most people the method above is the smartest, most cost effective practice.

Conversely I upgrade the majority of my MBP's, MBA's, Pads, Pods & Phones at each new release. Mainly because I enjoy doing so, it keeps me completely current, and it's a long standing tradition dating back to Apple Computer Inc. Circa 1991.

That said, newer is not always better, and as such my main network, laptops & Mac Pro are all centered on my favorite, ultra reliable, free of iOS elements, OS X 10.6.8.

My newer machines are on the latest rev of Moutain Lion. An OS I'm still not that fond of.