How often do you use coverflow?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mdwsta4, Jun 24, 2008.

1. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

I was thinking about this the other day when browsing music and accidentally turning my iphone on it's side. when it first came out, i used cover flow all the time. now i find myself rarely using it other than to show off. it's much easier to press a letter of the artist or song and go right to it that way.

how about you?

2. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

lol in my 8 months of iPhone use, I think I have used cover flow in a legitimate, non-show-off kind of way once.

3. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

I usually use Coverflow. Most of my music is in full CD format so I find it easy to locate a specific CD using Coverflow and then I can click on the picture to locate a specific song.

Cheers,
    :):apple:

4. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

well.
    i dont have an iPhone as of yet.
    but on my nano i use it all the time.

its fun.. :D

5. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

ive never used coverflow in the 8 months that Ive had the iphone, ive accidently had coverflow come on when i turned it side ways. I actually dont like the coverflow in the iphone, its kind of annoying especially since most of the songs are in order and listening to a playlist. now if thy did it where you can use coverflow for that specific playlist like on itunes ( i believe it works like that on itunes) then i would use it more

6. airlights macrumors regular

Never unless to show off. I hate hate hate Coverflow. Maybe because some stuff I have do not have proper album covers. :/

7. mdwsta4 thread starter macrumors 65816

that's something i don't get either and one of the main reasons i don't use it. if i'm in playlists, select a playlist, and turn my phone sideways, it should do coverflow for that playlist!!
    not to mention you can't select shuffle while in cover flow either.

8. nlivo macrumors 6502a

The only time I use coverflow is when I have forgotten the name of a song and the artist completely (it happens more than you think) and in my brain I only have the artwork to go with the song. That is all I remember of it (except for the actual song itself), so I flick through coverflow, find it and then play it. When I see the artist and the song name I think, "Of-course!". Thta's the only time I use coverflow. That or when I'm really bored.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

I like using coverflow when i work out. As in, only when im on the bike :)

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

I used to use CoverFlow a lot.

Now I just replaced the songs tab with the albums tab =/.

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Ditto, albums/full CD format have taken over the coverflow action on my iPhone. It's nice having playlists, and actual album covers are pretty cool as well. :cool:

12. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

i use coverflow about 1/4 the time on my iPod touch, but i use coverflow all the time on iTunes. I am an album listener so its great. i really love the feature in iTunes

13. Astro8973 macrumors regular

Astro8973

About 3/4 of the time. I think its cool and fun to use. I wish they had coverflow for playlists and videos.

14. reboad macrumors member

In my opinion it is unusable.

Sure it's fun when you have about 10 or 20 albums, but when you get to about 100 it's a pain in the ass to use.

15. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I use it quite a bit since it looks just like my iTunes library and after looking at the covers for so long on my iMac I have sort of figured out the music I like (among 1000s of songs) based on the cover - often I don't even remember what the song is called but rather I remember the cover. So for me it's a useful and fun way to browse music.

16. MacMalv macrumors regular

i find it a bit too slow. you cannot quickly go from one end to another. Therefore i will only use it to show of or if im not in a rush.

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Same here, I hardly ever use coverflow.

18. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I find its fun to use when you don't know what you want to listen to and you want to take a look through your albums.

19. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Same here. And I actually went through the trouble of finding high-res coverart for my entire collection (about 8,000 songs, mainly full CDs) ... At least it looks nice when I show it off ... ;)

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Ditto. I use it occasionally, to remind me that album art is nice. Depends how much of a hurry I'm in. If I have something in mind to listen to, I typically use the list format, but if I'm just browsing aimlessly, the artwork has been known to influence my decisions.

21. frosse macrumors 6502a

I never used coverflow on my itouch before due to the fact that my music library on my ipod for the most part consisted of single songs rather than whole album. That made coverflow a bad feature to use.

Though lately I've begun using it more and more since I have a lot more albums with album cover (!) on it. I really like it :)

22. Loonytik macrumors 6502a

Loonytik

The only time I use cover flow is when Im showing it to someone else. The menu set-ups are much more user friendly in my opinion.

23. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

same, coverflow is pretty much useless, but always fun to show off.

24. KapitanIksrog macrumors regular

When I first got it a year ago, I used it like crazy. Not so much anymore. It doesn't help that I keep it docked at work and in my car so it isn't in the horizontal position very much.

One thing that it is great for (aside from showing off) is reminding me of an album I might have forgotten about. My memory reacts better to the covers than to text artist names.

25. leodavinci0 macrumors 6502

I've used it a couple times only. But then I never had a large CD collection. However, my brother has a monstrous size CD collection (I never needed to buy a CD since he would get it first), and I see him using coverflow when we're driving. I'm guessing he uses it since he is used to flipping through CD's.