Votes: 25 30.1%
  • Almost Never/Never

Votes: 18 21.7%

• Total voters

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2006
I was excited about this switching, but I find I almost never use it for anything ... how about you?

Any widgets you might recommend to get me to use it more?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
That's getting quite specific, maybe someone should make (unless there is one already) a dashboard counter.

Weather, TV guide, probably a good few dozen times a day (most of them since I might be bored).

Comment

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Yeup I use it A LOT -- looking up brief weather, playing Sudoku on the subway, using the calculator sometimes, uploading images using the ImageShack widget, viewing network information via iStat nano, viewing flight status if a relative coming, converting units... yea thats all I can think of right now that I use. LOL

That's getting quite specific, maybe someone should make (unless there is one already) a dashboard counter.
Oh yess I like that! However, I've hit that the dashboard button so many times by accident..

Comment

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
Probably a dozen times a day. Weather, stocks, calendar, IMDB, Delivery Status, etc. Was using for calculator, but starting to use Spotlight.

Comment

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
Calculator, weather, world clock, dictionary and thesaurus, airport radar.

All very handy :)

Comment

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Now and again.

Strange the pattern though, either all the time or never. Not many 'casual' Dashboard users. Kind of surprising if you ask me.
I'm a casual user!

Mainly use iStat Pro to keep an eye on things.

Comment

Palladium

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2006
Northern Ireland, UK
I use it daily (usually several times) for weather and iStat. I use the dictionary fairly frequently (twice last night) and would use the calendar fairly frequently, especially when making bookings. I have used the translator and unit conversion widgets but only occasionally. Oddly enough, I never remember I have a calculator widget and always launch it from finder - old habits die hard.

Comment

tersono

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2005
UK
I hardly ever use it - occasionally to check the weather, but that's about it. I've always thought that these 'widget' implementations (whether dashboard, Vista's sidebar, Konfabulator or whatever) were something of a solution in search of a problem.... I may be alone in this, however ;)

Comment

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Weather and iStat Pro. When we first dropped cable I missed not being able to get the weather within 3 minutes. Now, when I want the weather, I get it instantly. And not from the nearest big city but from a choice of local stations, including one 0.3 miles from my home.

Comment

chas0001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2006
Alicante, SPAIN
I have 2 monitors and do I display 6 widgets permanently on that screen (using the development mode). I wish there was a way to display them on the desktop but not have them on top of other windows (natively). I have tried Amnesty but its a bit flakey.

Comment

richyfp

macrumors member
Apr 13, 2004
In Tiger, I found myself using Dashboard almost exclusively for the dictionary/thesaurus and calculator, but Spotlight has now replaced both of those. I do still have a few stickies lying around and also run iStat Pro, but I use Dashboard considerably less post-Leopard.

Comment

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
Constantly. I've got stickies--one for each class, plus a general one for to-do lists. It's basically my planner and assignment marker.

Comment

kuwisdelu

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2008
All the time.

I got a webclip of Apple's stock that I check compulsively. I have several important stickies in it. I check the weather on it every morning. I use the calculator often for functions too advanced for Spotlight. And of course, iStat Pro.

Comment

forafireescape

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
NJ
I'm constantly using it for weather, post-its, to check movie reviews (Tomatometer - looks up stuff on rottentomatoes.com) and movie times, my iTunes lyrics checker, etc.

Plus I have a fun little widget called Flappie that's a little virtual pet thing that I like to play with :eek:

Comment