How often does your Safari crash??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by locomien, Sep 16, 2007.

1. locomien macrumors member

So, I've never been one to surf much on the iPhone, but whenever I do, it seems like it crashes every 5 mins or so....I don't go to terribly complicated webpages...but it seems like it crashes when it runs out of memory on big webpages like engadget and even this board (ipod music stops playing a few mins before the crash). I was just wondering how often your guys' crash???

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

it crashed a lot when i first got the phone (software version 1.0), but it's been a lot more stable since updating to version 1.0.1 and 1.0.2. it rarely crashes for me, even while listening to music. i do try, though, to keep the browsing light. few pages with not too much content per page.

3. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

You mention that the ipod music stops playing a few mins before the crash.

Try it without using the iPod running.

No, that's not a fix obviously, but it is a crash that seems to be documented in the past, so if that's what's causing it at least you can plan for it.

4. sunday888 macrumors member

Since upgrading to 1.0.2 I don't think it's crashed once.

5. locomien thread starter macrumors member

Yea, I've tried it without the ipod playing in the background. It still crashes pretty frequently. Maybe the new update will improve on this.......well...MMS first apple!

6. GnarleyMarley macrumors 6502

GnarleyMarley

For the past few weeks mine was crashing every 2 minutes or so. I could not surf at all. I started clearing my cache and it hasn't crashed since.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

8. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I hit the odd Gazelle but that's they're own dumb fault.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Easy fix for the Safari crashing: turn the phone off (press the top button for
    3+ seconds untill it shuts down. Then power back up. That will fix it and a lot of other quirks you might be experience.

Safari was crashing like mad after the first week until I was told to try this. It never crashes now. Also my car's iPod adapter wasn't recognizing the iPhone for awhile. Turning off/on also fixed that issue.

10. Gonzlobo Suspended

Try listening to music while surfing. It will crash every few seconds. Guaranteed.

11. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

Your comment made me curious. I don't listen to music much while surfing, so I just spent the last 2 hours doing just that, both over wifi and edge. I never crashed once.

I'd get that phone back to an Apple store.

12. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

If I load a page with a lot of images, like an Ebay search, the iPod stops playing 5 out of 10 times.

13. Canuck4 macrumors 6502a

Canuck4

14. boby17 macrumors newbie

15. Littlebit macrumors member

Not often...mebbe once a week. But I'm a weak Safari user anyway...I use it when I'm not at home and need to look something up or am bored, but it's not like I spend hours on Safari on the iPhone (at home is another story ;))

16. badtzmaru macrumors 6502

it crashes if i am loading one or more complex web sites AND listening to a long song (>6 minutes) in the ipod. It doesn't happen every time but i would say its about a 50-50 chance.

17. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

Used to be twice a week or so, but with the newer updates it's been crashing less..

It really depends on the websites I go to, some of them have popups and whatnot that confuse safari.

18. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

So far about once a day. Of course, that's not saying too much since I've only had it 5 days.

19. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I find that if I try to do things very quickly, like erase lots of messages in rapid succession or go from ipod to web to maps quickly it tends to throw up on itself from time to time.

More slowly and it doesn't seem to be an issue.

20. EricMD21 macrumors newbie

Since the upgrade, I usually only have a crash or two a day. It's much better than every five minutes.

21. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

I get about a crash once or twice a week. I'm learning which sites cause it to eat dirt. Mainly the sites that are resource-heavy with or with flash or heavy AJAX usage.