How often is your phone on vibrate?

boogas8

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
With everything I have going on I have come to realize that I'll go weeks at a time with vibrate only on. I am always at work, school, sleeping, or just hang out with friends, so I never have a reason to turn the sound on.

Suspended
Mar 18, 2006
Since i got my Apple Watch last year the phone has been in vibrate mode only! No more missed call and no more ringing!!!

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
It always annoyed me, that my friend never answered his phone, because it is always on silent. But after getting an iPhone myself, I understand why. The switch is to easy and permanent . I wish it's action could be customized for something else. On Android I always use some app wich Prompt for how long, when silent gets enabled.

Micky Do

macrumors 68000
Aug 31, 2012
An island in the Andaman Sea.
Never on vibrate, seldom in my pocket, usually on the fridge in my apartment. It's not a smart-phone anyway; just an old $20.00 Nokia. When I leave home (where I do 2/3 of my work), I'm off line….. Sweeeet.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Mine is always on vibrate, if I ever turn it off ill often miss calls since I'm expecting it to vibrate instead of ring.

wchigo

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2015
I used to keep the volume on because it can be fairly noisy where I work and since I keep my phone in my inside jacket pocket (I wear a suit at work), it can be pretty easy to miss the phone's vibration (this is especially true if I'm moving around).

After getting a Pebble (and then Apple Watch), my phone has generally been kept on silent the vast majority of times unless I specifically want to hear something such as if I want to hear the music/sound effects while playing a game or if I decided not to wear my watch that day and don't want to miss a call. I wouldn't want it ringing during meetings anyways, so being able to keep it on silent without having to worry about potentially missing calls is definitely a significant pro.

ForkHandles

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2012
My 6s plus is nearly always on vibrate but not through choice. The switch is too light and often gets knocked when placed in and out of my pocket.

Chilternburt

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2003
Durban, South Africa
Pretty much 24/7 I can't remember I even heard it ring, my Apple Watch lets me know I have a call or notification and then I look at the screen, I work in an open plan office and nothing is more annoying then people who just let there phone ring or have their message alerts on loud...

geta

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Most of the times i don't feel the vibration because is quite weak, but i wish there was a quick access to 'vibrate on silent' toggle, coz in certain situations i need it only on vibrate and sometimes only on silent...

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
Never. Vibrate is annoying and is one of the very first things I completely disable whenever I get a new phone.

If I am going to be somewhere that calls for the silent switch I will check my phone when I am done or periodically during. Otherwise, 95% of the time my iPhone is less than three feet away from me with the sound on.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Mine is always on vibrate, if I ever turn it off ill often miss calls since I'm expecting it to vibrate instead of ring.
Because for some reason you wouldn't hear the actual ring in that sitsution?

Foggydog

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2014
Left Coast
My phone is on vibrate when I'm sleeping. When I crawl into bed, I usually play words with friends, watch a vid or two, then place it close to my head. I don't want it waking me in the middle of my peacefull sleep.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Because for some reason you wouldn't hear the actual ring in that sitsution?
No, I hear it, and usually figure it is someone else's phone especially since no one that I know with an iPhone seems to change the ringtone from the default.

Reactions: jgelin

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, I hear it, and usually figure it is someone else's phone especially since no one that I know with an iPhone seems to change the ringtone from the default.
Well, you could certainly set yours to something different to help with that aspect of it.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Almost all the time, but I do occasionally switch it off silent mode when I'm at home as I don't have my Apple Watch on.

Also some apps refuse to play sound while the phone is in silent mode so I have to switch it off in that case. Such as a game or something.

v0lume4

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2012
I know quite a few people that permanently keep their phones on vibrate. I nearly never have mine on vibrate. Only when I go into stores, etc. Way too easy to not notice my phone vibrating, whereas I almost always notice it ringing.