How often is your phone on vibrate?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boogas8, May 4, 2016.

1. boogas8 macrumors newbie

boogas8

With everything I have going on I have come to realize that I'll go weeks at a time with vibrate only on. I am always at work, school, sleeping, or just hang out with friends, so I never have a reason to turn the sound on.

2. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

3. 8692574 Suspended

Since i got my Apple Watch last year the phone has been in vibrate mode only! No more missed call and no more ringing!!!

4. Significant1 macrumors 6502

It always annoyed me, that my friend never answered his phone, because it is always on silent. But after getting an iPhone myself, I understand why. The switch is to easy and permanent . I wish it's action could be customized for something else. On Android I always use some app wich Prompt for how long, when silent gets enabled.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

Almost never on vibrate here. Only in meetings.

6. Micky Do macrumors 68000

Micky Do

Never on vibrate, seldom in my pocket, usually on the fridge in my apartment. It's not a smart-phone anyway; just an old $20.00 Nokia. When I leave home (where I do 2/3 of my work), I'm off line….. Sweeeet.

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Mine is always on vibrate, if I ever turn it off ill often miss calls since I'm expecting it to vibrate instead of ring.

8. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

I used to keep the volume on because it can be fairly noisy where I work and since I keep my phone in my inside jacket pocket (I wear a suit at work), it can be pretty easy to miss the phone's vibration (this is especially true if I'm moving around).

After getting a Pebble (and then Apple Watch), my phone has generally been kept on silent the vast majority of times unless I specifically want to hear something such as if I want to hear the music/sound effects while playing a game or if I decided not to wear my watch that day and don't want to miss a call. I wouldn't want it ringing during meetings anyways, so being able to keep it on silent without having to worry about potentially missing calls is definitely a significant pro.

9. ForkHandles macrumors regular

ForkHandles

My 6s plus is nearly always on vibrate but not through choice. The switch is too light and often gets knocked when placed in and out of my pocket.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

11. Chilternburt macrumors newbie

Chilternburt

Pretty much 24/7 I can't remember I even heard it ring, my Apple Watch lets me know I have a call or notification and then I look at the screen, I work in an open plan office and nothing is more annoying then people who just let there phone ring or have their message alerts on loud...

12. geta macrumors 6502a

Most of the times i don't feel the vibration because is quite weak, but i wish there was a quick access to 'vibrate on silent' toggle, coz in certain situations i need it only on vibrate and sometimes only on silent...

13. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I don't use vibrate at all anymore. It is either on silent or ring.

14. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Between the hours of 9am and 5.30pm Monday to Friday.

My colleagues don't need to hear it going off every 5 minutes.

15. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Never. Vibrate is annoying and is one of the very first things I completely disable whenever I get a new phone.

If I am going to be somewhere that calls for the silent switch I will check my phone when I am done or periodically during. Otherwise, 95% of the time my iPhone is less than three feet away from me with the sound on.

16. C DM macrumors Westmere

Because for some reason you wouldn't hear the actual ring in that sitsution?

17. Foggydog macrumors 6502

Foggydog

My phone is on vibrate when I'm sleeping. When I crawl into bed, I usually play words with friends, watch a vid or two, then place it close to my head. I don't want it waking me in the middle of my peacefull sleep.

18. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

No, I hear it, and usually figure it is someone else's phone especially since no one that I know with an iPhone seems to change the ringtone from the default.

19. BigMcGuire macrumors demi-god

BigMcGuire

Never, I can't stand vibrate because it's very audible in a quiet office. My phone is on silent most of the time.

20. aZZaneko macrumors newbie

aZZaneko

It's rarely on vibrate but it's in the night mode 24/7.

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, you could certainly set yours to something different to help with that aspect of it.

22. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I certainly could, but I also prefer it to be on vibrate.

23. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Almost all the time, but I do occasionally switch it off silent mode when I'm at home as I don't have my Apple Watch on.

Also some apps refuse to play sound while the phone is in silent mode so I have to switch it off in that case. Such as a game or something.

24. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

I know quite a few people that permanently keep their phones on vibrate. I nearly never have mine on vibrate. Only when I go into stores, etc. Way too easy to not notice my phone vibrating, whereas I almost always notice it ringing.