How often will Watch OS be updated?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by viachicago22, May 9, 2015.

1. viachicago22 macrumors 6502

viachicago22

One thing I haven't read a lot about is Watch OS updates. How often do you guys think they will have updates and when do you think the first one is coming?

2. ielessar macrumors regular

Maybe they'll release an update after WWDC next month.

3. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

I certainly hope so. I still can't select new artists/albums on my watch to play from my iPhone, not to mention the embarrassing horological oversight of not being able to show seconds on any of the digital watch faces, etc. Lots of bugs that need fixing, IMO.

4. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

My guess is just about as often as iOS updates. I think WatchOS 1.1 will release along side iOS 8.4 next month. Probably see WatchOS 1.2 (maybe 1.3) around the release of iOS 9 (I dont think we'll see WatchOS 2.0 until iOS 10 next year.)

5. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Often. I would expect a 1.0.1 update in the next couple of weeks.

----------

But honestly, what is the point of speculating on something like this?

6. shenfrey macrumors 68000

How often will Watch OS be updated?

Not seeing seconds on a digital watch is not an oversight. It was a design decision, no point in seeing seconds when you have a stop watch/timer as a complication.

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Sorry, but this point has been beaten to death already. Seeing seconds displayed is incredibly useful for a number of reasons; just because you don't see the need for something doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

8. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

This x1000. It's absolutely needed. I hope Apple puts out an update soon to fix this.

9. shenfrey macrumors 68000

Then why don't you give some examples and change my view rather then simply stating the watch needs it.

10. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

How about for the people who have to commute on trains/subway and everything is timed perfectly. They don't leave 1 second too soon or too late. You just got off of one and need to make it to another but you know the time is only a minute or so. Wouldn't it be nice to know you have 45 seconds and only have to cover 100ft to get there rather than only 15 seconds or your screwed? This was the most compelling argument that I've seen explained here several times already.

My personal need for seeing a seconds indication isn't anywhere as crucial as that...but it's important enough that I won't use a digital face until it's on there. Potentially several times a day I have the need to time exactly one minute and when I do I need to just be able to look at my watch and won't be able to touch it because I will have to use both hands to perform the task at hand. I'm not going to be able to wait for up to a minute to start the task when I see the minute indication change to start the task. I need to know how many seconds after the minute I started so I can stop it that many seconds after the following minute.

11. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

This is a face I'm using that shows seconds...am I missing what you all are saying?

My related request would be to allow the face to have different timeout settings....I have nurses that work for me and they use their watches for BP and HR and the Apple watch wouldn't work since it times out so quickly.

Attached Files:

12. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Yes you are correct. There is a seconds hand on there and on most of if not all of the analog faces. We're talking about seconds indication on the digital faces.

13. hlfway2anywhere macrumors 6502a

They are discussing digital faces. You are using an analog face.

14. wingsabr macrumors 6502

wingsabr

Ahhh, thanks for clarifying...that is an oversight.

15. Daryl6784 macrumors newbie

A step counter would be a nice addition instead of the activity circle for me at least

16. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Missing features is not a bug. A bug is when you go to do something a certain way and it crashes repeatably.

Most software in it's 1.0 infancy are missing features. Look at windows 1.0? Look at iOS 1.0?

It's just how it is. Software is something that evolves over time thru manual labor.

17. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

I don't think he was saying those missing features were bugs. He was stating examples of some missing features he would like to see, and then said there were also bugs that need to be ironed out.

18. priscilla55 macrumors regular

priscilla55

Not sure what you are asking for here. You do know that it already has a step counter as part of the activity app, right?

19. lchlch macrumors 6502a

Wouldn't it be easier to use a 1 minute timer in this scenario. You can put all your focus on the task at hand rather than on the watch.

20. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

No it wouldn't. In the case of the commuter the one minute timer by itself is useless because that person needs to also know the time in relation to the real world time. In my case, the one minute timer is useless because as I stated in my original example for myself and my own purposes I have to use both hands for the task at hand. I can't free either of them up to touch the watch to start the timer. It's a safety thing....they want me to make sure both arms and hands are accounted for when I'm testing something with 50,000 volts. Kinda hurts if you touch that.

21. madsci954 macrumors 68030

There is, pull up he main Activity ring and scroll down. It will show active calories for the day, steps, and distance.

22. lchlch macrumors 6502a

You could ask Siri to do that for you?

23. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Doubt Siri could hear me in a manufacturing facility where it's a bit loud. Not gonna happen. lol

Plus, don't you have to be able to touch the watch to activate Siri anyway? Kinda makes the point moot if so. I don't have my watch yet, but if it's anything like with the phone then Siri isn't all that useful anyway....she's very hard of hearing in my experience.

24. lchlch macrumors 6502a

If that's the case then I agree with you. Seconds on the modular face can be useful.

25. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Yeah and like I said...it would be nice to have but in the meantime I'll use one of the analog faces so I have the functionality I need. It's not a deal breaker for me...but it would be nice to have the option in the future because I think my favorite face is the modular one.