How old/outdated is the current iPod touch 5th gen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by macbookpro45, Oct 23, 2013.

1. macbookpro45 macrumors 6502

I need a new iPod and I'd rather wait till the A7 processor is in there but that doesn't look like it'll happen. So in terms of 'old' how old is the 5th gen ipod touch? Was it just updated last year?

2. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

It was, however I would wait... Its still on the A5 chip... Which is quite old, even though the iPad mini non retina has it... I just don't feel its fast enough any more and the iPod touch is kinda disappearing... Which is sad..

Get a cheap classic off eBay if you want it for music... How about the new iPad mini retina or the iPhone 5S/5C? The 5C is good enough with its A6 processor which is at least faster...

3. Plutonius, Oct 23, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2013

Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

The Touch 5 came out last year.

Don't listen to those who say wait. The Touch is always behind the current technology and, if your waiting for the next update before getting one, you will always be disappointed. Besides, the current Touch 5 runs perfectly under IOS7 even though the Touch contains older technology.

As an actual Touch 5 owner, unlike most of the people who are complaining the Touch doesn't have an A7, I highly recommend the Touch 5.

4. ghettochris macrumors 6502a

yeah, I have one and love it. it makes the iphone 5 look like a fat clunker. if you wait, you will be waiting for a year most likely, and might only get an upgrate to an a6. I say buy one, use it, sell and upgrade in a year if you like what they release.

I highly recommend getting the product red color, awesome deep red instead of the more pastel options.

5. macbookpro45 thread starter macrumors 6502

This really sucks because right now I use my iphone 5s for the gym, and I HATE using a phone for the gym. I like to keep devices separate; but I'd also hate sinking $300 to an iPod touch that will get renewed in a month....fml

6. MLAM macrumors regular

I doubt the touch will get refreshed this year.

It was 2 years from the iPod touch 4 to the iPod touch 5 refresh and it will always be behind in terms of technology to give the iPhone series the edge.

7. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

It will not get updated till the Fall 2014.

8. NuggetSauce macrumors regular

Why not get a cheap standalone MP3 player? They are perfect if you just want to listen to music at the gym or doing outdoor activities.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's got the Apple A5 chip a la same as the iPhone 4S and iPad mini.

10. macbookpro45 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok so maybe you guys can help me.

I want my MP3 pplayer/ipod to do these things:
    1) Play videos on youtube
    2) use pandora
    3) use 8tracks
    4) play music

What's the best workaround? I feel like there is no work around but sink $300 into a new ipod meh

11. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Get an iPod Touch 5. It's really a nice device. Return it within the return window if you decide you don't like it.

Get a refurb if you want to save money. I also wouldn't get the 16GB one.

12. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    I'll ditto Plutonius.

Not only will the Touch 5 meet all your needs, but it can double as a phone as well, with the right texting app.

13. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

get a bad esn iphone 5 of ebay i got one for $320 and way better specs than current iPod.

14. Andy-UK macrumors newbie

The discounts for the 5th gen iPod Touch on the refurbished store have suddenly jumped up to 28% here in the UK and 26% in the States. That normally means there's a new model on the way but Tim Cook made a point of saying at the last presentation that the iPad Air, Haswell Macbook, etc. line-up is their product range going into the holiday season so if the price is putting you off then $219 for a 32Gb 5G iPod Touch might help you make your mind up?

15. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

Arent bad ESN phones, stolen or sketchy?

16. macbookpro45 thread starter macrumors 6502

This giant discount is also why I think new iPods are coming out early next year once inventory is moved post-holiday shopping

17. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

Not all the time most of them are people who don't pay their bills or don't finish their contracts.

18. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

So they "forfeit" their contracts and dont return their phones, so the phone company invalidates their esn to make sure they cant use them?

Sounds like a pretty good idea on your part, best ipod touch ever.

19. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

Doubt it. Apple just has a surplus of refurbs they want to get rid of. If you don't want the Touch 5, plan on waiting till Fall 2014 :D.

20. narutoninjakid macrumors 6502

Exactly a6 and 8 megapixel camera more app support. Shop around on ebay you can get one for under $330

21. M-B-P macrumors regular

Have you considered a Nexus 4 or even a Lumia 520 (or 521, I think). There is a Lumia that you can buy for about $100 and it does what you need and can even be used as a backup phone if needed. I would look into that if I were you. A windows phone could be a great alternative for a secondary device (if iOS is your first preference).

22. brendu macrumors 68020

The lumina is a good idea actually. It can do all or most of what op needs and costs next to nothing... Otherwise maybe look for an iPod touch 4th gen... It will have the apps you want for $199 or less and since it can't get ios 7 it won't run like a dog in the future... You don't need the newest tech for the uses you listed.

23. macbookpro45 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't have a subsidized upgrade for a phone so I'd be buying it out of contract.

Also, best buy has the iPod touch 5th gen for 284.99 and they typically don't discount apple items that much unless a new one is on the way ugh

24. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

If you have an iPhone get an iPod Mini for the gym. It's light, cheaper, and you don't need to play games while at the gym anyways and you have an iPhone to play games on.

25. macbookpro45 thread starter macrumors 6502

I need the ipod touch because I use apps like pandora regularly