Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
when a friend walked in my shop with her beautifull 16 years old doughter. The same daughter had been sitting on my lap 16 years earlier. It would have been an odd sight to have done this once more.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
You're only as old as you feel.

As much as I'd like to say it when I turned 21 and first bought a bottle a Rum - I'm 26 now and it's only been the last few years I've felt like I'm truly my own person and can handle myself on my own... It's really a neat feeling when you feel, deep down, that you are you, and it's okay, and you can take care of yourself as an individual.. You know?

LeftoverCrack

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2008
when i came home from working my first HARD day, I had never been so ready to sleep in my comfy bed.
when i had friends that had been to jail and out already.
when my first payment of rent was due.
when i got a paycheck in the thousands.

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
My favourite quote from Mark Twain (needs thinking about for a couple of seconds. ;))

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

Feeling old? Well, you come to realise that there's such a thing as death. "What, you mean I'm not going to live forever?"

Then the reality of death hits you "Some of the people I know are going to die and leave me."

Then the REAL reality of death hits you. "I'm going to die."

And then, oddly enough, it gets easier. Hey, folks, we're topsoil. As Bill Hicks said: "It's just a ride".

So enjoy it.

(I'm 56, but only in your human years)...

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
Well, I just turned 40 and so I can now say not at 40. If I keep up at this rate, I could be in my 60s before I start feeling old.

Frankly, I was really expecting some major change from childhood to adulthood. You know, something that would make me into... well, what ever adults are supposed to be. Hasn't happened yet. :D

It is funny that people see marriage as the turning point, but seeing as I was living with my wife at 18 and married by 20, it just seems like a natural thing to share my life with someone else... and in no way takes away my youth.

What is really strange is that I don't look all that different now than 20 years ago... and people were saying that at my high school reunion too. But when I look at photos of my father or grandfather, both looked significantly older at 40 than at 20... and significantly older than I look (or feel) now.

My mother, on the other hand, is as beautiful today as she was in her 20s, so I most likely take after her in that way.

Are you saying you're beautiful then? :) I agree with everything you've been saying though. At 40, I certainly don't look or feel old either.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
When you're not allowed to sit at the "kids" table during family gatherings. Duh.

Bah, my cousins and I still do, and we're mosty >30 years old. But it's mainly because there wasn't enough room at the adults table for 14 cousins and the 7 parental siblings, spouses, and grand parents...

Um......after you got married, what sort of physical activities did you start doing so close to the ground?

You know one thing that hit me is that kids are short... they require a lot of kneeling, crouching, bending over and what not....

Most of the time I feel a lot like I did when I was 14, only less self conscious. It amazes me when I think about the fact that I have a wife, mortgage, 2 kids, a 9 year old dog I've had since she was a 15 week old puppy. Of course most nights after everyone else is in bed I spend an hour or 2 playing video games so that doesn't keep me feeling old...

I came to grips with my own mortality at 18 or 19, after a step-cousin died in a motorcycle accident, he was only a few months older than me.

But if you want the one defining moment of when I realized I was definitely not a kid anymore. I started Grad School in 2003, at 26 years old, wandering around campus seeing all the younger students there, and did a quick bit of math, and realized, I was in 2nd grade when they were born... and it only got worse every year until I was in 5th grade when the freshmen were born... at least now I've finished that yearly lesson in aging... now it's just the increasing amount of grey hair every time I get a haircut...

This year is going to be fun since I'll have had my driver's license longer than the current crop of student drivers has been alive...

freeny

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2005
Felt old at 35. Or more accurately, I felt I wasn't young any more at 35.
I still feel like I'm 25.
I'm turning 38 this year.

I started feeling old a few years back when I would find myself flirting with college age girls, and then realize I am of little interest to them any more.

Eric Piercey

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2006
Perpetual Bondage
Young girls are definitely kryptonite (sp?) toward a youthful outlook for middle aged men. It doesn't matter if one's rich and/or famous enough to have a conga line of 19 year old hotties at his beck and call- they'll still make him feel old with their lack of wisdom-knowledge. But for regular guys like me said young ladies don't even notice us anymore. I'm happily married, but I did enjoy it when I could wink at the lasses and see them flush a bit. So there's one big reminder of one's age.

Turning 30... yep that sucked. I'm turning 40 in July. THAT my friend is the pits. I still get carded for booze though. My secret is sick amounts of Mountain Dew, and 5 hours of sleep. I'm quitting smoking literally now. I've struggled with it for years.. even stopped for over a year, but this is ridiculous. Hey kids.. don't get started with that habit. You hear it all the time.. but trust me you will get older some day. It's like that Pink Floyd song, the tolling of the iron bell or whatever it is where it says, "one day you'll find, ten years have got behind you , no one told you when to run.. you've missed the starting gun." That's how it goes down- one day you look in the mirror and you're 30, 40, 50... and it speeds up!!! You don't want to be 40 and say, "now what would I have looked like had I never smoked." You don't, I'm telling you.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
For me its not just the age (turned 42 in January) but the events in my life that are making me feel old. For example, I had to get reading glasses, I'm taking my daughter to visit colleges this week, etc.

Jade Cambell

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I started feeling old on July 25th, 2007, when I turned 17. I realized I only had one more year left to get my act together before i'm an adult. I still need to produce my debut CD and get in contact with film directors in L.A. before the summer of this year. I made a list of declarations on my 17th birthday, and announced them to my whole family (including a bunch of my extended family), because I realized I was running out of time if I want to be the famous multi-millionaire that I plan to be.

Roger1

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2002
Michigan
when I stopped being ID'd at the liquor store. :eek:

That ended when I was seventeen. I really started feeling old at 30, when keeping weight off became harder and harder. :p Of course, staying up past 10:00 is more of an effort now, as well :p

Currently 40, and can't wait to retire.

Mr.Noisy

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
UK™
Every day, getting outta bed just takes that much longer ;)

The hangovers never seem to clear :(

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
18 and change...right after indoc. It was one of those moments..."Holy ****, I'm an adult, I'm in the Navy, and I'm not going to see my family for months."

Couple that with "I Love The 90's" and I feel like a bag of old dust. :p

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
when i realized that i couldn't take anyone seriously if s/he got there/their mixed up, or if s/he tYpEs LiKe ThIs.

when i realized that random hookups are really not that awesome... i know, what's wrong with me? :(

spork183

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
old is a step in the journey. I just read over the posts and laughed at the range. Old at 18 to young past 60. Old for me was remembering the "old" guys at the 20th class reunions who were looking at the senior girls, who were singularly unimpressed. I passed that 20year reunion myself a couple years ago, and true to form, the senior girls were singularly unimpressed. Some things never change... :D

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
The last time I realised I'm actually a bit older was when I had a moan at the headmaster of my daughter's school, and I realised she was actually a bit nervous of me and my partner.

Damn, I remember when headmasters were like distant gods in the clouds, and now they're humans that I grumble about and work with and sometimes argue with.

Other things that remind me - police all looking very young! Getting arrested or warned by a copper younger than me! It's true lol!

Chappers

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2003
At home
I felt old at 24 because I had a sore knee and the doctor asked me how the weather was outside (it was cold and wet)

I felt old at 27 because I saw a girl I used to baby-sit for...... she had one kid and another on the way

I felt old at 42 because I discovered I needed reading glasses.

But I've come to realise that old age is just a phase I'm going through ....... I will grow out of it.

BaronvdB

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2007
I would say I felt old at age 24...that's around the time all my friends seemed to be married and every couple months it seemed like one of them is having a kid (or another kid)

BlakTornado

Apr 24, 2007
Washington, OH
My favourite quote from Mark Twain (needs thinking about for a couple of seconds. ;))

"When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years."

Feeling old? Well, you come to realise that there's such a thing as death. "What, you mean I'm not going to live forever?"

Then the reality of death hits you "Some of the people I know are going to die and leave me."

Then the REAL reality of death hits you. "I'm going to die."

And then, oddly enough, it gets easier. Hey, folks, we're topsoil. As Bill Hicks said: "It's just a ride".

So enjoy it.

(I'm 56, but only in your human years)...

I'm 15, I am currently doing my GCSEs and that post has just made me realize what a waste of time it is. I'm gonna grow old and die anyway, so what's the point? WOOOOO!!!!!

:p

Ah well, I have some years left in me. haha. No need for me to worry :)

I don't feel old, really... although knowing that I'll be "done with school forever" in two months is quite scary! D:

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
I'm 15, I am currently doing my GCSEs and that post has just made me realize what a waste of time it is. I'm gonna grow old and die anyway, so what's the point? WOOOOO!!!!!

:p

Ah well, I have some years left in me. haha. No need for me to worry :)

I don't feel old, really... although knowing that I'll be "done with school forever" in two months is quite scary! D:

As my english teacher once said "Rebelling against the system will get you no-where, making it for you, now that, is the key to success"

Don't fail your GCSE's because you want to live fast and die young, you'll just waste your life like every other sponging, un-employed chav in this country...

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...

Hey, hey, hey, that's not what I meant at all! Don't go blaming me in ten years, when you're living under a bridge...

All the people with some genuine spiritual insight say the same: live, every day, with the realisation of your own death. It's the sane, honest, true way to live... :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.