How portable is a 15 inch MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by andrewtm, Jun 13, 2014.

1. andrewtm macrumors regular

I'm going to college in the next couple of months and I was wondering if the 15 Inch rMBP is portable enough to carry around in a backpack? I currently have a mid-2009 MBP and it's apparently heavier than the 15 inch rMBP now!

I would definitely want the MBA for all of its features and portability but the lack of retina really throws me off. I know most college students typically get 13 inch laptops, but I've had one for 5 years now and I'd like a change.

2. unknownfps macrumors member

Unless dGPU and larger screen is a must, get the 13" rMBP. rMBP gives you a fresh laptop experience so you won't feel like you're getting another "same" laptop.

I went on the 15" rMBP route, but it was unnecessarily big for me. The portability was good but 13" is better.

If only Apple made 14" rMBP, I would be so happy.

3. Yakibomb macrumors 6502

Yakibomb

I recently moved from a 13" MBP to the 15" rMBP and don't find it anymore inconvenient, it's both thinner and lighter so I don't notice it much in my backpack. I really like the screen real estate you gain, its great for procrastinating during study breaks :D

4. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

I was just thinking since I've had mine for 5 years I would want my new one to feel like a different computer, and it seems the 13" rMBP is essentially the same on the outside. Hopefully the speakers and such are more powerful but overall it would look like the same computer. That's why I would prefer either a larger screen size or a different type of mac, you know?

----------

Haha I think I'm going to be in the same boat. The current 15" rMBP is LIGHTER than my 13" from 2009; at 4.4 lbs it doesn't seem too heavy. But compared with the ~3 lb MBA, and the 3.4 lb 13 rMBP its relatively heavy. I would just be carrying it in my backpack around campus to the library and stuff, so I think the screen size would be worth sacrificing portability

5. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If you don't suffer from a medical condition that makes you super weak, there is no problem at all with carrying a 15'' rMBP around on a daily basis. I used to carry a 17'' MBP on a daily basis. The 15'' rMBP is much lighter, on par with a non-retina 13'', so no problem at all.

Reasons to go for a smaller machine would be:
    - limited desk space: Depends on where and how you want to use it. Never a problem for me
    - price/loss risk. Sometimes you want to go for a beer after class or something similar, and I much prefer having a $1k machine in my bag than a $2k machine. Probably my paranoia :)

6. Freyqq macrumors 601

Yep. If you remember, the 12" powerbook was 4.6 lbs. The retina 15" mbp is also 4.6 lbs. Amazing stuff.

Proof: http://support.apple.com/kb/sp48

7. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

Great to know! I also have a 24" monitor I usually connect with to my 13" and I feel like with a 15" I would eliminate the need for a monitor since the screen isn't too small or too big

8. solideliquid macrumors 6502

solideliquid

Also consider the 13" model's battery life is 9-10 hours versus the 15" model is only 8.

9. Hieveryone, Jun 13, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2014

Hieveryone macrumors 68040

I have owned both the 13" and the 15"

I went with the 13" 2.6/8/256 over the 15" 2.6/16/512/750M.

The reason why is b/c initially I thought I could use the 15" as my sole gaming device but decided to save the money and use an Xbox One for gaming instead.

There is definitely a big difference in terms of portability.

The 13" feels like you are carrying a book for class, just thinner than most. You don't need a backpack or anything to put it in.

If you want to put it in a backpack it is like putting your Biology book in there, just thinner and lighter.

The 13" is great for carrying. The 15" is great for power usage.

If you need the dGPU and the quad core processor then you'll have to get the 15"

But if a 2.8 GHz i7 processor and 16GB RAM is enough for you on the 13" I'd go with that.

In the end, while some people will say "What's an extra pound" or "What's a couple inches more to carry if you aren't weak" but when you actually handle the two there really is a difference that you feel.

I suggest trying both or going to an Apple store or Best Buy and playing with them for awhile. Not just one visit but go 4 or 5 times. Only then will you get a good idea.

10. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the input! I'm leaning towards the 15" because I feel like I would be gaming a lot, not hardcore gaming, just casual. I feel that with the quad-core the performance would be much better than the dual. I currently have a dual core and its alright, sometimes laggy. And regarding portability, there probably is a difference, but nothing too major that I couldn't handle, I hope

11. wlossw macrumors 65816

wlossw

get the 15" and invest in a nice bag. I suggest something by Briggs & Riley. With a good bag, your payload will seem smaller: best of both worlds.

12. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

im also in your same situation . idk if im going to need that quad core though ; if there are any computer engineering major , would you recommend that quad core or will CAD programs be fine with the dual core 13" . Don't go off the money aspect . i just need to know is the quad core going to be really that helpful for engineering programs or is there no difference with the dual core ; if i do it will be 750m 15" or the maxed out 13"

13. EX1127 macrumors 6502

EX1127

I carried a 15" 2008 mbp for 4 1/2 years of engineering school was the best decision I made. The more power you have the better because you will most likely need to use VM's for some of the software that you will be using. The 15" would be the way to go unless you get a second screen for when your not in the classroom. If you don't want to get the fully maxed 15 Id suggest spending a little extra on the processor and/or hard drive since ram is the easiest/cheaper to upgrade aftermarket.

As for the what to carry in I used a North Face Recon worked great used the front mesh pocket to store the cords and had plenty of room for school work.

14. Sifinity macrumors 6502

Sifinity

15. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

In that case, get a case for it. Kuzy from Amazon is good. Pearl is better.

A bag isn't enough because sooner or later you are going to get dings and scratches on it no matter how careful you are.

16. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

If you can afford it a bookbook case keeps it nice and protected. It also looks like a book!

17. yangchewren macrumors regular

I carry my laptop in a briefcase, so weight is concentrated only on one hand (and mainly pulling on the wrist) and move around with easy daily while on campus. I think you won't notice much difference in mobility since you'll have it in a backpack

18. gluckett macrumors regular

Not a computer engineering major, but I do make CAD software for a living. Quad cores would definitely be recommended over dual cores. Not sure how deep into CAD usage you will get, but the more power you have the better. A lot of the software is written to take advantage of multiple cores. In addition, even if your CAD program isn't using all the cores, your system will still be able to use the remaining cores to run your other software while the CAD software is doing its thing.

19. andrewtm thread starter macrumors regular

That's actually very interesting. I am currently an exploratory major but I think I will end up in some type of computer related career, whether it be software developing or CAD. What exactly is your job/major? I'm interested because CAD was always something I've been fascinated with.

20. gluckett macrumors regular

My major was computer science. I've been a software developer on a commercial CAD product for nearly 20 years now.

21. Carlv33 macrumors newbie

Had my retina MacBook Pro for 2 years and never had an issue with portability. Is slightly more cumbersome than say a MacBook Air but not exactly heavy.

22. wlossw macrumors 65816

wlossw

23. BlackbookGuy macrumors regular

I thought it was totally portable, until one day I took my 13 inch retina pro… you can do it, but I sure notice the extra weight.

24. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I'm currently in college and a few months back I switched from a 13" rMBP to a 15" rMBP. Sure, I noticed a difference in the weight/portability however the increased screen size is totally worth it to me.

25. Hieveryone macrumors 68040

The 15" is one of those machines that's so beautiful if you know how to use it, that the extra weight wouldn't matter at all to the right user.

If you use the functionality of the 15" like the dGPU, quad core processor, extra screen real estate, then portability is nothing. It's totally worth the extra weight.

But if you never benefit from the dGPU, quad core processor, and aren't watching a lot of movies or running multiple programs on that gorgeous 15" display, the 13 inches' functionality is enough and the extra portability is what you should be looking to take advantage of.