Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
The 15" is one of those machines that's so beautiful if you know how to use it, that the extra weight wouldn't matter at all to the right user.

If you use the functionality of the 15" like the dGPU, quad core processor, extra screen real estate, then portability is nothing. It's totally worth the extra weight.

But if you never benefit from the dGPU, quad core processor, and aren't watching a lot of movies or running multiple programs on that gorgeous 15" display, the 13 inches' functionality is enough and the extra portability is what you should be looking to take advantage of.

I have a 15" Windows laptop that I have to bring on some jobs, and that thing is heavy. The 15" rMBP is noticeably lighter, and I carry it with me the other 90% of the time when I don't need the Windows machine. That Windows machine, despite being labeled as a "gaming" system is a dog in performance compared to the rMBP as well. So for me, the choice is between a fast, lightweight machine, or a slower, bigger, heavier machine that I don't even enjoy using.

pullman

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2008
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I have the late 2013 13". My wife has a mid 2011 MBA 11". They both feel as portable. My late 2013 is exceptionally light. I considered the 15" model but found it too big and too heavy for what I would need the computer for. Imo the 13" rMBP is currently the power-portability sweetspot.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I have the late 2013 13". My wife has a mid 2011 MBA 11". They both feel as portable. My late 2013 is exceptionally light. I considered the 15" model but found it too big and too heavy for what I would need the computer for. Imo the 13" rMBP is currently the power-portability sweetspot.

yeah especially if you max out with the 2.8/16/512 or 1 TB.

Unless you are doing some serious video editing then why need more?

Gaming? Well, if you're gaming that hardcore there's always Xbox One or PS4.

But yeah it is the power-portability sweet spot IMO too.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm going to college in the next couple of months and I was wondering if the 15 Inch rMBP is portable enough to carry around in a backpack? I currently have a mid-2009 MBP and it's apparently heavier than the 15 inch rMBP now!

I would definitely want the MBA for all of its features and portability but the lack of retina really throws me off. I know most college students typically get 13 inch laptops, but I've had one for 5 years now and I'd like a change.

I prefer the 15" laptop over the 13" and find it portable. I use a backpack for my laptop and its fine.

SarcasticJoe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2013
Finland
I've been carrying a 15" MBP with me on an almost daily basis for years and I can't say I really feel hindered by it. Currently carrying an early 2011 and as it's the cheapest model of it's line, the GPU is a bit anemic, but as I've lost interest in the vast majority of AAA games and instead mostly play indie and old games, it does the job. The only game I've recently been worried about being able to run is Wasteland 2, but it seems to run on my GPU (waiting for the full release) and even the integrated GPU in the cheaper 15" Pro is vastly superior.

As for the person suggesting you buy a 13" Pro and a console with the money you save, I'd have to completely disagree with him. As a software guy I absolutely hate the closed nature of consoles and how they increase costs, limit freedom and completely wall out independent developers the manufacturer hasn't decided to screw over with some kind of "If you stick to our console we'll give you the development tools you need"-agreement. So not only do you get access to more indie games (which is where I think "It's at" these days), you get cheaper games, you don't have to pay for online services, you get to freely pick your input method.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
The 15 in. rMBP isn't bad at all portability wise. In general it's bulkier than the 13 in. Not as good for using on a plane, or maybe a small school desk or other cramped spaces, but otherwise the tradeoff you get for portability in the 13 in. and the power/performance you get in the 15 in. is significant.

As for the person suggesting you buy a 13" Pro and a console with the money you save, I'd have to completely disagree with him. As a software guy I absolutely hate the closed nature of consoles and how they increase costs, limit freedom and completely wall out independent developers the manufacturer hasn't decided to screw over with some kind of "If you stick to our console we'll give you the development tools you need"-agreement. So not only do you get access to more indie games (which is where I think "It's at" these days), you get cheaper games, you don't have to pay for online services, you get to freely pick your input method.

I agree with this statement. Not only the indie development scene, but also console exclusivity is not as important nowadays. You can get your major releases on Mac w/Bootcamp/PC, as long as it isn't made by Sony or Nintendo (or Microsoft to a lesser extent). So recent games like Watchdogs, GTA V, AC IV, Dead Rising 3, COD Ghosts, etc. all playable on PC or Mac w/Bootcamp . The big gap is the Sony exclusives -- but if you aren't interested in them then all the more reason to stick with your Mac for gaming. This applies to the 15 in rMBP generally speaking -- the 13 in is not as capable playing these types of games.

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
The 15" rMBP is extremely portable given it's weight and thinness.

If the 15" is not portable to you, the get an ultrabook or MacBook Air.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
The 15 in. rMBP isn't bad at all portability wise. In general it's bulkier than the 13 in. Not as good for using on a plane, or maybe a small school desk or other cramped spaces, but otherwise the tradeoff you get for portability in the 13 in. and the power/performance you get in the 15 in. is significant.

I agree with this statement. Not only the indie development scene, but also console exclusivity is not as important nowadays. You can get your major releases on Mac w/Bootcamp/PC, as long as it isn't made by Sony or Nintendo (or Microsoft to a lesser extent). So recent games like Watchdogs, GTA V, AC IV, Dead Rising 3, COD Ghosts, etc. all playable on PC or Mac w/Bootcamp . The big gap is the Sony exclusives -- but if you aren't interested in them then all the more reason to stick with your Mac for gaming. This applies to the 15 in rMBP generally speaking -- the 13 in is not as capable playing these types of games.

the problem is compatibility and headaches. With consoles, you're guaranteed a decent experience. Especially now with graphics being diminishing returns, there's really no reason to depend on a 15" rmbp for gaming at all.

andrewtm

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 9, 2012
My major was computer science. I've been a software developer on a commercial CAD product for nearly 20 years now.

Wow, thats crazy! I definitely want to get into something CAD/computer related so maybe a degree in computer science would be the way? I was originally thinking architecture but that's a very limited degree

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I have a 15" Windows laptop that I have to bring on some jobs, and that thing is heavy. The 15" rMBP is noticeably lighter, and I carry it with me the other 90% of the time when I don't need the Windows machine. That Windows machine, despite being labeled as a "gaming" system is a dog in performance compared to the rMBP as well. So for me, the choice is between a fast, lightweight machine, or a slower, bigger, heavier machine that I don't even enjoy using.

If I was in this scenario, I'd consider using boot camp to install Windows on the rMBP so that you only need to carry around one laptop and you an choose if you want to run Windows or OS X in any given situation.

recurrence

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
The 15" rMBP is very portable compared to previous 15" laptops. That said. there is a substantial volume difference between the two so keep that in mind.

The 15" is so small I can fit it in my Black Diamond BBEE pack. We're talking about a little 0.65 pound pack. It's impressive how much computing power a small laptop can deliver today. ;)

Vulcan

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I had a 13" MBP but switched to a 15" rMBP about two years ago. At first, the extra size was annoying when I wanted to use it in tight places (i.e. a lecture hall), but it is actually lighter than my old MBP and at least for me, I ended up almost never taking my MBP to class. I put a clear hardshell case on it and feel like I can take it anywhere. The extra screen space is definitely worth it to me. It's also reassuring to know that it can handle almost anything I throw at it (I have used it to play Skyrim and often run several VM's). Even though they've had several new generations since, with how much power this thing has, I see myself keeping it for at least the next 3-4 years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.