Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
Anyone know how to restore from an iPad backup on a new computer?
Is it as simple as moving the mobilesync folder over to the new mac and doing a restore? Will this method keep the folder structure on the iPad after the restore?
I do not want to recreate all of my folders on the iPad again. I will be a real pain to do so.

thanks in advance!

nightfly13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Ranchi, India
So your iPad needs to be restored and at the same time, you got a brand new Mac without your preferences and files and settings on it?

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
I exchanged my new mba for another one. I backed up the mobile sync folder from the previous mba. This folder contains the last ipad backup I did.

I did save my important data before I did the exchange. I just don't know how to restore the ipad on a new mac with the previous mac's backup file.

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I'm confused. Why do you need to restore it at all? Assuming your new computer has all the data on it from your old computer, your iTunes library should be exactly the same, no? So just sync the iPad.

taeclee99

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 4, 2002
Anywhere but here
I'm confused. Why do you need to restore it at all? Assuming your new computer has all the data on it from your old computer, your iTunes library should be exactly the same, no? So just sync the iPad.

Tried that already. The itunes sync copies everything over just fine. All my apps after the sync are just on the home screen unorganized. I have to recreate all my folders and organize all of my apps into them. I have around 180 apps and sorting them will take alot of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.