How scratch-proof is the screen?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Echleon, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Echleon macrumors newbie

Hey there :)

I was wondering how easily the iPhone 3G screen tends to scratch? I would probably be using an InCase Slider and carring it around in my jean pocket with no keys or anything, just the phone. I am reluctant to put on a screen-protector as everytime i've tried one of these on previous devices I have failed miserably!

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you know a google search would have been easier for you...or a search on these forums as theres been many threads on this topic

here you go

3. yalag macrumors 65816

You can't scratch it even with an army knife. Look for it on youtube, plenty of demos

4. theadz01 macrumors newbie

I got a minute scratch on my iPod Touch screen, and I've looked after it well, kept in a pocket with nothing else in. However, you can bearly see it, but it made me buy a screen protector, as I know how gutted I would be if anything substantiation showed up on it

5. svndmvn Guest

I believe the first gen iPod touch had a worse screen and a less scratch resistant glass than the iPhone.
    It is glass, either way, it will scratch or break if you want it to.

6. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Haha... what?

7. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

8. Dr. Cabrera macrumors 65816

9. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I don't carry army knives in my pocket but my iPhone has 4 scratches on the screen. Nothing too major but noticeable. This is well over a years worth of use.

10. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

I have never had a problem with my screen. The iPhone screen is extremely durable in comparison to almost any other devise out there. You won't be disappointed. :)

11. fungg3 macrumors regular

12. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Sand will probably scratch the iPhone's screen.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

You're right, it probably will. That's why when I go to the beach, I put my iPhone in a ziplock bag- you can even use the screen through the bag.

I've had my iPhone for a year (this Feb. 17th)- there isn't a single scratch on the screen, and I don't use a screen protector.

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I keep my iPhone in my pocket, with no case or protective coating. I make sure to put nothing else in that pocket; it's off limits to keys, coins, or anything else. The phone does not have a single scratch so far.

15. OrangeDog macrumors 6502

I hope your just joking with your misleading advice.

16. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

Ive had both iPhones, from the launch day.

Never put protectors on any and no scratches whatsoever on either.

Very durable screen.

17. kzoojason76 macrumors member

A Laser.
    [​IMG]

18. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Keys won't scratch it, but when I was in Vegas, my chromed money clip left a NICE scratch on my screen on my old first gen iPhone.

Other diamonds. Usually a metal wheel coated with diamond dust. I love Discovery Channel (ex. How It's Made). :)

19. afd macrumors 6502a

A Light Sabre?

Ever since scracthing my first iphone I have used a screen protector. Having a scratch on screen really changes how you feel about the phone, all you see is the scratch.
    My 3G iPhone has a fullbodyfilms protection pack on it. I hardly notice it's there. Would definitely recommend a screen protector.

20. geekmommy4 macrumors 6502

geekmommy4

I am very careful with my iPhone and never had a scratch on my first one. However, a few weeks ago I noticed a small scratch on the screen. I have no idea what did it. I noticed another one near that one a week or so later, so I'm obviously doing something to it. It now has a screen protector.

The screen protectors seem better than ones that I've used on other phones, I really can't tell that it's on there. I'd recommend at least trying one to see if you like it.

21. Shoesy macrumors 6502a

Shoesy

A rockery.

I used to really look after mine well, but now not so much. I've never used a screen protector on it. There are no scratches on the front, whiltst the back is 'a little buffed'.

However my 1g did come in contact with a rockery. That didnt survive so well :(

22. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

...or diamonds to cut diamonds.

Also, I recomend puting the crystal power support film on. When you apply it, hold it long-ways and "pinch" it like a hot dog bun. Line up the ear speaker hold and home button then let the middle touch down on the screen. Once the centre touches down, gently let the edges down. Wipe the film down with a micro-fibre and Voila! Perfect film installation. I have done more than 6 films this way with zero problems. Good luck.

23. firewood macrumors 604

The metal blade of a cheap knife can be softer than glass. However dust of volcanic origin (there are non-zero amounts blowing in the air in some areas) can be harder than glass, and nearly invisible. Get some of this stuff on your screen, rub it, and your display is toast. Happened to me.

ymmv ianag

24. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Had my 3G since launch and no scratches anywhere, but I keep mine in a belt holster/case thingy.

25. Odid macrumors regular

I have quite a few scratches actually.
    Must be all the diamonds I'm carrying around in my pocket.

Not sure though, it does have quite a few scratches that are pretty small and not noticeable and there's 2 that you can see where it actually cut the glass and you see a rainbowish color.