How scratch resilient is the iPhone 4 really?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by microcolt, Jun 26, 2010.

1. microcolt macrumors regular

I want to know if I should buy a case for my iPhone 4 just to prevent it from scratches. Now I don't intend to throw it on the floor and slide it around with my foot on it but with my 3G laying it down on a table every now and then sliding it a little (by accident) caused very minor scratches on the back which in fact were really only noticeable by the shiny Apple logo.

I really don't want to have to buy a case and I like the fact that I can actually feel the $300 I paid for in the device. So question is, do I buy a bumper for it or is the new glass scratch resistant enough to use naked?

Oh and I don't drop my phone, and the Antenna issue does not affect me. :D

2. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

Mine scratched on back within 24 hours and i've been careful with it not putting it in pockets with changed not pushing it around surfaces.

I was shocked it had scratched my 3GS never scratched that quickly!

To be fair I'm of the school of thought that's it's an object to be used and scratches are just one of those things that happens so not too bothered just supprised it happened so quick!

3. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

The glass is just a sliver of a veneer. There are a few videos on YouTube demonstrating that its not as tough as Apple's marketing would have you believe.

If you care about resale value or impressions then get a case. It's really sloppy to have a scratched phone. When I see someone using a scratched up phone I assume that is how they care about their work too.

4. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

5. wentwj macrumors regular

When I see someone with a cheap, bulky case I assume that is how they deal with their work too.

I never understood putting a case on an iPhone. The bumper case is the first one I've seen for a phone that seems solid and leaves the design of the phone, but I'm still undecided about that one. Why people pay large sums of money for a phone and then cover up the design seems silly.

6. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

Hmmm why would I spend money on a premium apple product and cover it in a cheep looking case. I don't care about resale price as I don't need to sell it on as I earn plenty of money working at a job I'm very good at regardless of how scratched my phone is!

I was more supprised than bothered about the scratch!

Good luck with keeping your phone scratch free for fear that others might be as jugemental as you! ;-)

7. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

I'll swear by invisible shield (zagg.com) or a product of the same nature. The device looks exactly the same, except upon very close inspection, and it's scratch proof. It also is just slightly easier to grip, because of the texture, and it doesn't slide so easily off the arm of the couch, or slide so easily when bumped toward the edge of a table either.

8. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

I just hope you're not an English teacher :eek::eek:!

9. nlmozart macrumors newbie

I've got a bumper on mine, doesn't really add much bulk to the phone.
    I've got a Zagg invisible shield on the screen and the back to thwart any scratches to the actual surfaces.

I think this is the best way to protect the iPhone with adding the minimum amount of bulk.

10. snapper07 macrumors 6502

snapper07

No I'm not but i am dyslexic. Are you an english teacher maybe you would like to enlighten me as to where I went wrong?

A little video for you here you might be interested in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM

11. RobNor macrumors 6502

Do you think a bumper is sufficient protection?

At least it's not like the chrome back on the ipod touch which is almost impossible to keep scratch free:D

12. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I just read a post that some dude dropped his iPhone 4 down a sewer and didn't even have a mark on it, except for one tiny little chip.

He mentioned it did have a case on I though.

13. jredecop macrumors 6502a

Is the screen still so awesomely clear with the zagg on it?? I've used them before and they have a slight orange peel to them..

14. DaffyDuck macrumors 6502

Scratch resistance went out the window when they introduced the oleophoboc coating with the 3GS. Yes, plastic scratches easily and that's what the coating is made of.

15. the1nonlyku macrumors member

Yeah my cousin got a small scratch on his too and he is VERY careful with it.
    I went ahead and ordered the full body InvisibleSHIELD so I don't run into that issue.

16. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Seriously? You base your opinion on people based on how their phone looks? It's disgusting what's happened to society.

Exactly, cases only muck up the design. I love my iPhone bare and free to the world.

And on that note, no scratches yet and I won't worry about it when it happens.

17. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Wow... I hope they don't allow you to do the hiring at your job cause with standards like that you'll miss a lot of good employees. And judging by what you judge by, you probably would find a bunch of ****** ones cause just cause some one is anal about their phone says nothing about if they care about their work. They may just be superficial and want to look trendy and a scratched phone doesn't look cool.

My roommate is a workaholic. His job loves him cause he's a perfectionist when it comes to work and any projects he picks up (including his own). And they can do stuff like send him off to another state on a few hours notice even. His phone is a mess cause he doesn't want to use a case (neither do I honestly) and he just sticks it in his pocket with his other stuff. He understands that well, it's a tool to be used and he'd rather use it in a way that's useful to him than baby it in worry of scratches.

18. Colella16 macrumors newbie

My Ip4 got a million little scratches on it from a couple of hours of being in my pocket with literally, a quarter, a penny and a nickle. Kind of annoying considering I ordered a Zagg right before this happened, and my 3GS only got one scratch on it over a year of heavy use.

19. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Even though I've had it in a case since day 1, apparently it likes to be scratched. I have one on the back about 2 inches long and one on the front the same length. Woohoo! :rolleyes:

20. nlmozart macrumors newbie

For me, yes. I hate using big cases for phones. I need something small and efficient for ease of use.

At the moment, yes. I just took off the Zagg I had on my 3G. It wasn't a nice sight. It was more browny orange lol but that was probably from all the dirt. :p

21. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

You calling yourself silly then? :rolleyes:

22. Gryzor macrumors 6502a

Another one of those "it scratched for no reason, it was not my fault" posts... Oh dear.

23. sparrky macrumors 6502a

sparrky

I don't understand the logic in the posters that say cases or screen protectors take away from the beauty of the phone, but scratches don't? Scratches are permanent and make your device look cheap! Not to mention shattered glass, because as perfect as you claim to be, dropping your phone can happen.

24. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

I'm sorry, but I don't believe you. A million scratches on Iphone 4 but only 1 on a 3GS after a year?

The 3GS scratched by looking at it wrong. Pics of both or you are not being honest in your post.

25. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

A screen protector won't protect your screen from breaking when you drop it. That would be like laying a plastic bag on the windshield of your car then driving into a brick wall. Your car window would break. Your iPhone screen will break.