How scratch resistant is the 5s screen? Do I need a screen protector?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdourado, Oct 25, 2013.

1. gdourado macrumors 6502

gdourado

Hello,
    How are you?
    The title pretty much says it all...
    How resistant is the 5s screen? If I am careful like not using other items on the same pocket of the phone and such, will the screen remain scratch free? Or am I better off using a screen protector for some peace of mind?
    The iPhone 5s has been out for more than a month now. Anyone have problems with scratches on naked screens?

Cheers!

2. ROLLTIDE1 macrumors 65816

I always throw mine into an otterbox defender or Atlas case

3. apwtwenty macrumors 6502

apwtwenty

I'm careful with mine in a holster. I have a case but no screen protector.

I noticed a very slight very tiny scratch already. I saw it in the apple store in the bright lights lol

:-/

4. bunnicula macrumors 68040

bunnicula

I use a Zagg shield on mine because I frequently wear diamond stud earrings that are large enough and stick out far enough to scratch the screen while I'm talking on the phone.

True story. I did it to my 5 before I realized. It's weird, because I had the 4S the whole time with no protector and never scratched it. Bah.

I hate screen protectors.

5. dave420 macrumors 65816

I ordered a $2 screen protector yesterday off ebay. Not sure if it will be any good or not, but I figured it's worth a shot.

There is always a couple people in these threads who swear they never get any scratches. I'm not sure if they are just very careful or just have a different definition of scratch than I do. I always get light "scratches" on my phone from normal use. They are almost invisible when the screen is on, so it isn't a big deal anyway.

6. vmaniqui macrumors 6502a

vmaniqui

i always put screen protector on all my devices (cameras, phones et al). doesn't hurt to have one. plus it's a small price to pay for an added protection.

7. JulesK macrumors 6502

Get a Spigen protector from Amazon (2 for $10), and give it a try. I think that they are the best. I use the Utra Crystal; it's very clear, but also likes to attract fingerprints. Putting them on requires some patience and practice.

I put my phone in my pocket with whatever else is in there: keys, coins, etc. I decided a while ago that life's too short to be constantly worrying what you putting next to your phone, and the screen to my 4S was perfect after 2 years with a Spigen protector. That and a decent case is the way to go.

8. krspkbl macrumors 6502

krspkbl

my 4s went 2 years without a screen protector and i would need more than 10 fingers and 10 toes to count how many times i dropped it on a hard surface or accidently put it in the same pocket as my keys. i could easily count on one hand how many scratches i could see on the screen.

i wouldn't worry about it but if you do then buy a cheap pack of screen protectors off ebay.

9. dlondon macrumors regular

I used to use screen protectors years ago but I didn't on the iPhone 5 and it didn't get scratched in the year that I had the device. I really don't think it's necessary as long as you don't put the device in your pocket with keys/coins or leave facedown on rough surfaces etc.

I'd say a case is needed more than screen protectors (which is a shame because the device looks so nice).

10. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

Put one on just for the piece of mind. Unless you feel like worrying all the time. I can deal with a couple of scratches on the phone but NOT the screen!. It drives me crazy.

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

If you leave it alone in the pocket you won't get scratches from daily use.
    I rock my iPhones naked since the 3GS, 4S and now 5S. No scratches.

12. aneftp macrumors 68040

Owned iPhone 1-7 generations. Always had screen protector.

I tried to go naked with Moto Atrix in 2011. Bad idea. Noticed 2 huge scratches after one week. Lesson learned. Sometimes I out phone on same side as my car keys.

13. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

I've also owned all the iPhones except the original and always put a screen protector. I used to sell iPhones and the screen is not that hard to scratch. To the op, put one on before it's too late.

14. JGWolven macrumors regular

My 5s has no scratches. My girlfriends is another story. Couple of long micro scratches on her screen which is weird because her phone is always carried - never in her pocket or purse.

15. paranoia, Oct 25, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013

paranoia macrumors member

paranoia

I had a 3g, 3gs, a 2.00 screen protector, and 5.00 case . Then I had a iPhone4 got a otter case and a zagg screen protector ,now I have a 5S 64 byte and I have a auto tech case and a BodyGuardz ScreenGuardz® Pure Glass screen protector, works great, looks great but pricey.

16. Sekelani macrumors 6502

Sekelani

How scratch resistant is the 5s screen? Do I need a screen protector?

With all my iPhones they all have cases and screen protectors. I'd advise you to put a screen protector. The screen itself does an "ok " job , but I would put a protector on just in case . If you don't like them use a clear film. You won't even notice one on till you take it off.

17. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

18. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Screen protector serves more than just protecting the screen from scratches. It gives the screen added strength in a fall and may prevent scratching or breaking.

19. gdourado thread starter macrumors 6502

gdourado

Thank you all for your replies. For the peace of mind, I think I am going to go with a screen protector.
    Are the ones for the iPhone 5 compatible, despite the new design of the home button?

Cheers!

20. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Yeah they are compatible.

I went with a glass screen protector as it feels like the real thing unlike all the film protectors that everything thinks I don't rock a protector at all.

21. mslide macrumors 6502a

I'm going on 2 years with a 4S without a screen protector. I've dropped it countless times and often times have it in the same pocket as my keys and all sorts of other things that could rub up against the screen. Not a scratch on it. I don't like the feel of screen protectors. Just be careful with it and it's fine.

22. Dascoyne macrumors 6502

It's very resistant. Over time you may or may not find a light abrasion.

If you can't tolerate even the most minute flaw on your screen and would go nuts otherwise then a screen protector is good insurance.

If you can live with the small chance then it's fine without one.

My iphone 5 had many months of normal use - sometimes in my pocket with keys - and I didn't notice a single scratch. Eventually I did notice a faint one in the upper right. Not really noticeable when screen is on. I also discovered how much it annoyed me that it was there. I now use protectors, though I admit they're not essential.

23. SuperKirby macrumors member

Back during my first 5 gens of iPhones, I was a worry wort and would always put on 2 screen protectors. lmao. As the 6th gen came by and now the 7th, i realize I get a new phone every year anyway. Now I have no case AND no screen protector. And boy, it FEELS GREAT to be relaxed.

The iP5 had no scratches for the year I had it. So far no scratches on the iP5s. Just never mix your phone with keys or wallet/(isolate it in purse), and you shall be good till your next device.

I'm in the minority here, (with the exception of constant droppers) but why would you want to put a car front-end-bra and cover your beautiful car?

24. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Bottom line: the iPhone's screen is not scratch resistant. If if want absolute prevention of such an event, get a screen protector.