How Scratched Is Your Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MikeM87, Jan 7, 2011.

1. MikeM87 macrumors 6502

MikeM87

Hey,

Had my Macbook Pro since Estuary last year and marked it ever so slightly a coaster fell on top near the keyboard one night :rolleyes: just wondering how yours bear up and how long you have had them.

Feel free to post pictures.

Thanks

2. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

mine is in mint condition, looks like i bought it yesterday. oh and ive had it since mid 2010 :)

and i dont put any cases or skins on.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

exactly the same :)

4. mark28 macrumors 68000

5. jeremy h macrumors 6502

My 2007 MacBook Pro is very dusty and dirty but very few scratches. They seem to be pretty durable.

I've also got a 12" silver G4 powerbook - my best Mac ever. (And I had a few over the years).

It's now been downgraded to the 'family computer'. So my 8 year old had taken to carrying it around open. She dropped it (on and open) at the top of our staircase - It bounced and then hit just about every stair (a dozen) on the way down. It seemed to explode as the battery and a key came flying off.

I scooped up the bits and kind of managed to re-insert the battery after bending the metal side wall back into shape (by pressing it against a solid table.) Certainly not a perfect fit but hey... so I thought I'd just press the power key to see what would happen before scrapping it.

Amazingly it started up and seems to work fine. (Apart from the airport card which seems bust!)

What a computer! it now looks as if it's been run over by a tank (key missing - sidewalls all bent out of shape, battery loose etc etc) but it still works... Amazing really.

6. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

One 2 inch scratch but on the bottom of the case; ain't that lucky? :)

I would be willing to bet my MBP travels further and is used in as many more different places than 95% of laptops.

7. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

My 2006 MacBook Pro has got a couple of faint scratches on the bottom but is otherwise in great condition.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

My 02/2007 MBP has minimal light marks on the bottom, otherwise it looks as good today as when it was new.

9. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I've got a dent on the front outer screen casing. :( A router fell on it. So dumb.

10. Hephaestus macrumors 6502

Bought mine June 09 and still not a single scratch. Perfect Condition

11. Jazwire macrumors 6502a

Jazwire

No scratches, but I do have a small dent. Makes me sick every-time i see it.

They do dent way to easy, imo.
    Ill prob buy an ugly hard shell for my next one.

12. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Got one scratch from removing the back cover to replace ram haha fail.

From that point on, I have had a wrapsol on it and have treated it carelessly with still no scratches :D Better safe than sorry.

13. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I know how you feel. Ugh. yeah--my next MBP I will buy a hard case for it, even though it ruins the look a little...

14. IDBGOD macrumors newbie

Mine's mint, but I just bought it back in early December.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. If you're moderately careful and clean it once in awhile your mac should remain in decent condition.

As for hard cases? Reminds me of those people who buy those leather bras on the front of their cars, looks hideous.

15. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

Some scuffs on the bottom, and a dent on the corner but since I bought my 15" its spent a hell of a lot of time in some funky conditions, all in all it's held up way better than I expected. I should really invest in Wrapsol on my next one.

16. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I've been using my MBP 17 for almost 2 years and it still looks basically brand new.

18. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I got my MBP May 2010, it still looks and feels like new :D

19. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Mine was pretty much mint, but anyway I bought an inCase Hardshell Case. Very pleased with it, my MBP still looks great and now I can breathe a little more easily knowing I have that extra protection :cool:.

20. ajsnow6234 macrumors 6502

Same here. No invisible shield or case. I do put it in a sleeve when not on my desk though. I just keep it clean with a magic eraser a couple times a month. No greasy fingers!!!

21. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Not a big fan of the BSE. Used to swear by the product until I found wrapsol. The feel of the wrapsol is so similar to a naked MBP that it was worth putting it on my computer.

22. kohlson macrumors 6502a

Late 2008 15" MBP and 2010 13" MBP. No scratches on either, despite time at beach houses and the larger one having been relegated to the kids use (at home). But a lack of scratches is probably fate as much as anything. Years ago, with my first AL PB, I had carefully tucked some kids DVDs into the protective sleeve next to the PB. At a beach house, the kids asked to watch the movie. I told them where to retrieve them from the backpack on top of the bed. About 10 minutes later -- ka-thunk. Gravity prevailed. My daughter had not re-fastened the strap at the top of the laptop compartment, and the PB slipped down and off the bed, and onto the hardwood floor. No dents or scratches, but the latch broke. Lesson learned: laptops, like infants, are best kept on the floor (unless safely tucked in for the night).

23. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

mine has 1 small scratch on the bottom. not bad for a 3 year old MBP with no case.

24. d88co88 macrumors 6502

d88co88

Mid 2010 MacBook Pro. In mint condition. Not a scratch on it, not planning to get one either :cool: