How scratched is your screen?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nuggetz, May 4, 2012.

1. nuggetz macrumors newbie

This is my first iPad and I've been babying it since I got it and have been very anal when it comes to protecting the screen. I always make sure to use a lens squeeze bulb-type blower to make sure nothing is on the screen before I use any sort of microfiber cloth to remove the oil marks. So far so good. Not a single scratch.

Just using a smart cover at the moment and I have a back cover and screen film on order but was wondering if anyone goes naked and how are your screens holding up. I happened to get a perfect DY iPad 64gb and it has a nice white screen, no scratches, no color cast issues and no dead pixels so I'm trying to keep it pristine. How resilient is the iPad screen? I'm debating on whether or not to apply a screen protector cuz I've never seen a good one. However, I'm carrying around a huge microfiber cloth and wrap my iPad up in it when I put it down and I need to do something because I'm almost afraid to hold it. I don't let anyone touch it either :)

2. CandyNJ66 macrumors regular

Have a White 64GB iPad 3 with no scratches. I use a micro fiber cloth on the screen a few times a day

I can't imagine using a screen protector on the gorgeous Retina display

3. Fynd macrumors 6502

I've had each iPad each year. Never used a screen protector, and never overly babied them. Never had a scratch. They're very hard to scratch from regular use. Unlike an iPhone that might get tossed into a pocket with something questionable, the iPad shouldn't really be exposed to those types of situations.

4. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    32GB/3G iPad2 with a smart cover. Goes everywhere with me and I let family members use it.

A year later, it's still as pristine as the day I got it.

It gets no special attention - I just wipe down the screen with a lens cloth or a damp microfiber cloth when needed. The smart cover picks up more grime than the iPad.

It's remarkably well engineered and pretty robust - so long as you don't drop or sit on it.

5. Cutterschoice macrumors member

To late to debate once it's scratched.

This is also my first ipad, stuck an SGP UC screen protector on it £15, perfect fit, and job done, don't have to worry about any scratches.

6. number84 macrumors 6502

no scratches here...and that's with a 3 yr old in the house using it as well.

7. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Flawless. I always put screen protectors on my iGoodies simply to calm my OCD tendencies. My current screen protector is a little scratched from wiping it down with a microfiber cloth. Guess I should start using some wetnaps or something else or get a new microfiber cloth. I should also note that I buy screen protectors in bulk as well so this current scratched screen protector will be replaced soon :eek:

8. Twenty Two macrumors newbie

Twenty Two

I use mine alot and so far it's scratch free.... My iPhone 4s is also scratch free! And no I don't have a otterbox, those things are massive.

9. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This is my first iPad as well and I have no scratches on it. I clean it maybe once a day with a microfiber cloth and that's about it. I generally take very good care of everything I own and the iPad is no different in that respect for me.

10. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I have a Powersupport brand screen protector on my new iPad as well as my first generation model and have not experienced any scratches. I've scratched bare iDevice screens in the past by accident, despite assurances on this forum that it was nearly impossible to do so without diamonds.

I can assure you that these screens will scratch without the use of diamonds. :)

11. takeshi74, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012

takeshi74 macrumors 601

Anecdotal evidence means nothing. Just because someone else (or many someone elses) goes naked without a scratch means nothing regarding whether or not you'll get a scratch going naked. You need to determine what precautions you're willing to take to avoid scratches. Polling others isn't the way to determine that. No percentage of naked users is a guarantee that you won't get a scratch.

Research via the countless screen protector threads here and see if one sounds like it would suit you.

Always consider the source. The iPad screen certainly can be scratched by many more materials than just diamonds. Searching around would quickly verify that as not everyone with a scratch has one due to a diamond.

Either you lack imagination or you're unaware that there are screen protectors that won't degrade image quality.

12. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

I have mostly used my iPad 2 and my iPad 3 with no screen protector. I had one on my 2 for a short while, but most of the time it was naked.

I honestly think that because it's not something that goes in my pocket or gets jostled around in my bag with the screen exposed, it doesn't need the protector. It has a Smart Cover and goes in its own special spot when I'm carrying it in my backpack. My iPhone 4 has had a protector on it since day 1 but probably doesn't need it. These screens are tough.

I work with the guy who cleans his iPad screen by dipping a paper towel in his drinking water, rubbing it all over the screen, and then wiping it off on his jeans. It makes me cringe every time he does it, but he hasn't scratched his yet.

13. Dinth1906 macrumors newbie

But they are degrading how ipad feels in touch.
    Ive put screen protector on mine iPad screen but took it out after one day. I couldnt stand that it doesnt feel so smooth and sexy anymore (but to be honest it is packed into case and sleeve, so ive shouldnt hurt it by accident)

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I completely agree, hence my use of a smiley face and sarcastic manner. However, I have read numerous posts by people claiming that the iPad screen is nearly impossible to scratch and can only be done with diamonds. Totally silly, but claimed nonetheless.

15. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I am extremely cautious when using my iPad, I will sometimes even shift my position so that it is above a table or countertop so that if I somehow drop it, it will fall less of a distance, but I managed to get 2 small scratches (slightly less than an inch), not noticeable by touch, or any time other than when the screen is off, clean, and in direct sunlight at an extreme angle, but they are there, so don't be surprised if you get a few micro-scratches from pushing just a little to hard when cleaning your screen.

16. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

Have an iPad 2, used every day since just after released. There are no scratches anywhere on the device.

17. MacAuditor macrumors member

Don't buy any screen protector from stores or any place. Most of them come with stupid "anti-glare" crap that will BLOCK your viewing contents. It completely ruins the viewing experience.

18. JonasDK macrumors member

No scratches - I use a Yoobao screen protector.

And the viewing experience? Fantastic!

19. nuggetz thread starter macrumors newbie

20. spiderman0616 macrumors 68030

spiderman0616

Bread cannot scratch glass. But yes, sand will definitely do it. It's not a bad idea to give the Smart Cover a casual brushing off before putting it back over the screen.

21. ristlin Guest

I'm still using my iPad 1 and I could repackage it tomorrow and it will look brand new. Amazing quality.

Oh and I should note I never used a screen protector.

22. Nhwhazup macrumors 68000

Nhwhazup

On my original iPad I was crazy careful with it and only cleaned it with iKlear and microfiber cloth but I could see very minute surface scratching when I held it just so in the light. I then put on a Power Support screen protector and it looked like new when I traded it in. So even though many will claim that it's difficult to scratch the glass, I don't buy it as I've seen the scratches. PS screen protectors are better than bare glass. Screen quality is perfect with absolutely no reduction in clarity and it feels the same as the bare screen. This is all about the crystal PS protector not the anti-glare.

23. LiloThePleo macrumors 6502

Scratching the glass is hard, scratching the oleophobic coating is easy. I let my sister use my iPad 1 for a few minutes and bam scratches on the screen from her fingernails.

I've never been without a screen protector since. I currently have an anti fingerprint one on my iPad 3 that works a treat and feels nice and silky. (It's also crystal clear)

24. ixodes macrumors 601

ixodes

No case, no screen protector, just the joy of an excellent tactile experience when touching the Oleophobic coating.

Not a mark on it.

The miracle of a good microfiber cloth, dampened or dry, is amazing.

25. pdawg macrumors regular

Nothing on the latest iPad yet, but my iPad 1 has two (visible to me) scratches. I'm guessing there is no way to fix that.

Have not yet put a screen protector on the new iPad b/c I'm debating which one, if any. The original iPad has become more of the family iPad now.