How slow could you REALLY go?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Hrududu, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

I'll swap out my original desktop from an iMac to my 933 Quicksilver because I can't find a way to run Flash in browser under Tiger.
    BBC news (for what it's worth) still delivers a lot of it's content via Flash and although I could live without it...I'm a creature of habit.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Mod Note
    I've removed lots of posts from this thread that were threatening to completely derail it. Can we please keep on topic going forwards? Thanks!

3. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

A 400 MHz G4 tower with 1 Apple Cinema Display. It was my only Mac for a good period of time. I got it for free from my old boss.

Sadly it has gone to the boneyard as I have upgraded several times in the near past. But I did manage to keep going on that Mac for a while. Good times.

4. pet84rik macrumors member

pet84rik

Well, since almost all PPC Macs now have problem with youtube / multimedia on the internet in general, there is almost no limitation for me. But OK, it is a bit more convenient to use a 1,5 GHz G4 than 400 MHz G4.
    I would be just fine with any machine capable / cheatable of running Leopard - and this is only because of SW support.
    Actually, I like using my PowerBook G4 12" for vinyl audio rips, it has pretty decent audio input and output, powerful enough to record and edit music and small enough to carry.

5. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

To get this thread back on the rails from Slow humans back to slow computers... :D

iv posted this picture on MR before, but Do I win? :)

[​IMG]

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah. Thought you knew that already.

You're just refusing to show the pic of the Apple I with 32TB of RAM and the Coffee Lake Intel Processor for some reason.

7. Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Now then, back to our regularly scheduled programming:

I don’t think I could use Leopard on a sub 1GHz G4. I think at that point Tiger is the best choice. The only exception would be the last generation TiBook that has the L3 cache. Those things can FLY. RIP GigaTiBook 2002-2017

8. Dronecatcher macrumors 68000

Dronecatcher

...could you use it for a month as your main machine??

9. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

as I said earlier i can live with no computer for a month (at one point i lived with no computer for about a year) so yes i could (but i would not want to)... doubt id get much done in that month....

its really a case of define "live" :)

10. ziggy29 macrumors regular

If I had to on a *single* machine, I could probably do it on my 1 GHz TiBook. If I had a laptop/desktop combo, given what I have now I'd also use my Digital Audio (1.467 GHz) as the desktop and the TiBook as the laptop. Though in reality if I had to use nothing but PPC Macs for a month or more, I'd get myself a G5. :)

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

@LightBulbFun could run macOS High Sierra off a discount pocket calculator. He'll manage. :D

12. RhianB macrumors 6502

RhianB

I'm pretty comfy with a dual 1ghz QSg4 running Leopard10.5.8.

13. VanneDC macrumors 6502a

VanneDC

Cool event. I don't have many of my old towers left, just a dual 2.3 air-cooled one, though that's in storage ATM. My ti book now fails to boot anymore. Might see if I can pick up an old G5 quad (boy they are awesome) and see if I can do this month thing. When are you guys thinking of kicking the event off?

14. SuperKerem macrumors 6502a

SuperKerem

Mmm, the ravishing aroma of drama. Shame I missed it. :D

For me, it would be anything with a dual CPU. Realistically, in order to continue everything I currently do, it would be a Core 2 Duo. As for the PPC challenge, a Dual G4 would be fine (can't wait!).

15. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I'm struggling with straying in the PPC challenge. My 1Ghz iMac and 1.5Ghz PB 12" make doing what I do everyday very difficult. When a maxed out 2008 MacBook with an SSD is shelved for other machines that says something. I've just been spoiled with 8+GB of RAM and SSD's and Core "i" Series processors. The slowest I would go is my PowerMac G4 867. It needs an additional 512MB stick but the 7200RPM drives make it faster than the iMac and PowerBook.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

What is it you do that taxes even the latest Intel Macs?

17. macgeek18 macrumors 68000

macgeek18

I have been working a a new Youtube channel and bought Premiere Pro. It taxes my Mini really good. Looking at a new quad core system. Also just found the C2D in the MacBook to be sluggish in everyday tasks.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ahhh, I thought it might be video. Yeah, this seems to be the one area where the limitations of PowerPC are very visible - even with community posted workarounds.

19. mzs.112000 macrumors regular

I could use a 2.5Ghz Quad G5, with 16GB of RAM, 4TB of storage, the fastest GPU available, with Leopard.
    But I have very high computer usage.

20. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You mean my Quad? :D

OK, I'm short 4GB of ram but I'm working on it. It's got 7TB of storage though with 4TB being just one secondary internal drive (my boot drive is 1TB).

Finder.png

21. iModFrenzy macrumors 6502a

iModFrenzy

I could give you a G3 PowerMac and you’ll turn that into a beast for everyday tasks:p

but very nice!:D

22. mzs.112000 macrumors regular

Wait, is that 3 GPU's I see?
    So, do you have a nuclear reactor powering that thing?
    Oh, do you know, if I put the CPUs from a Quad 2.5GHz into a Dual 2.0GHz, would that work, I think I read somewhere that something would need to be re-flashed or something like that.

23. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes, three video cards. Click on the '6 displays' link in my signature to see the entire thing.
    Not yet. Getting the permits is a lengthy process. :)
    I don't think that'd work. The logicboards are different. Not sure if the Dual 2.0s are liquid cooled either. The Quads are, along with the 2.7 dual (which I have).
    --- Post Merged, Jun 8, 2017 ---
    Well…what's the point in owning a Mac if you aren't going to use all the empty slots it comes with? :D

24. mzs.112000 macrumors regular

I am thinking about buying a Quad 2.5GHz, but right now the prices are too high(saw one on eBay for $480).
    When I buy mine, I am going to put in 16GB of RAM, as much storage as I can fit, and a Quadro FX 4500(unless there is one that is faster and/or has better OpenGL support.).
    I expect that machine to be my main computer until it stops working AND there are no parts available to fix it.

25. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would suggest the Radeon X1900 XT. It's a better card, although the 4500 isn't bad. The Radeon also occupies just one slot. The NVIDIA occupies two slots which means you either need an adapter or to forego using the second slot.