All Devices How stable has iOS 13 beta 1 been so far

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by Kardinal1911, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Kardinal1911 macrumors regular

Kardinal1911

Since Apple hasn’t released the profiles as of yet I’m curious to know how buggy Beta 1 has been. It seems as if Apple was afraid to let it roam wild because of this...

2. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

Buggy, as you'd expect a first beta to be.

3. alex00100 macrumors 6502

Been using it on my iPad Pro for the least 4 hours. Not a single bug so far. Don’t listen to the naysayers, this isn’t an atomic reactor and you can always downgrade if you do a backup.

4. ganja24 macrumors 6502

lol, I agree.

5. AVonGauss macrumors 6502

If your threshold for dealing with issues isn't all that high, its probably best to wait. I'm glad you haven't seen any issues yet, but others like myself have had issues. In my case, I think I'm on manual restart number 5 with the home screen itself restarting several times automatically.

6. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

I have seen a ton of small, weird UI glitches and hangs. The biggest thing I have seen is my Apple Pencil won't charge. It is recognized and works, but isn't charging. Try it on my other iPad running iOS 12 and it charges fine.

7. Kardinal1911 thread starter macrumors regular

Kardinal1911

I’m usually a Beta 1 adopter on my daily driver... and wasn’t in a hurry to update but my freaking Apple Watch updated to watch OS 6 when I put it on the charger unbeknownst to me... so now I either update to Beta 1 or go deal with the “geniuses” at the Apple store so I guess tomorrow I’ll be updating to Beta 1
    --- Post Merged, Jun 3, 2019 ---
    Are you speaking from direct experience or are u blowing smoke? My biggest concern is how usable my phone will be post installation.

8. Banglazed macrumors demi-god

Banglazed

So far, it is not that bad. It is actually pretty good for a 1st beta like iOS 12 beta 1. However, you would want to check out the release note and what apps are broken so far if any of that would affect you

9. Kardinal1911 thread starter macrumors regular

Kardinal1911

Thanks brother that’s what I was looking for 12 B 1 wasn’t to horrible so I feel fairly confident

10. bradley8795 macrumors regular

bradley8795

I’ve been running it for a few hours. There have been a few UI glitches. But functionally it works perfect for me so far. I didn’t restore from a backup so I can only attest to a clean install.

11. jsmith189 macrumors 65816

jsmith189

yeah, it's buggy. mainly UI stuff. nothing crippling, but minor annoyance things. nothing you wouldn't expect.

12. stormchasejg macrumors regular

stormchasejg

Quite stable from what ive found so far, only the usual beta hangs & glitches but quite smooth from my usage so far, most of my issues have been with 3rd party apps but some of these were bad before I updated

13. MLVC macrumors 6502a

MLVC

14. nortonandreev macrumors 6502a

nortonandreev

It’s better than expected, glitchy sometimes and got several resprings.

15. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

Few bugs here and there. Eg. Gmail was not letting me sign in as keyboard was unresponsive where I enter my username and password. Workaround was to sign in using Safari to Gmail and restart the phone. Then upon launching Gmail, it asked me to use Safari login details and I was able to login to all Google Apps.

16. Donnation macrumors demi-god

Donnation

If you are looking at putting iOS 13 on a device that is your daily driver I would avoid it. It’s going to have some serious bugs no matter what people in here say, hence it being a 1st beta. Battery life will probably be affected as well. Just don’t do it, unless you don’t mind downgrading and going through that whole process.

17. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

Very stable in my opinion, using on iPad Pro 10.5 & my iPhone XS Max. Other then some UI glitches and 2 apps not working, it can be used as a daly driver (I am). Haven't had any issues at all. Had more issues with watchOS 6 & macOS Catalina (mostly apps not working on macOS).
    But this also happened last year, Beta 1 was great and each beta after got worse, let's hope that doesn't happen this year.

18. antmit macrumors newbie

Battery life has been comparable if not more so than 12 so far, though perhaps my fondness for DM may be behind that.

Everyone to their own. I’ve been most annoyed by WhatsApp giving me useful messages just before the actual message sent to me, just saying “Message from <<the sender’s own internal username>>”, before then giving me the message with the sender appearing as per my contact name. That plus mail being less than snappy with displaying new mail in list mode. Other than that, it’s been fine.

19. TL24 macrumors 6502a

TL24

Been running iOS 13 B1 since day one. Outside of minor UI bugs and other small glitches it’s been rock steady. No crashes, no stuttering and overall buttery smooth on my XS.

Cant wait for B2 to iron out the smaller details.

20. richpjr macrumors 68040

richpjr

After using it since the release day, it’s been a mixed bag. For some things, it has been fine. But I regularly have apps like mail, Safari and Chrome crash, there are a lot of minor UI issues that need to be cleaned up. Nothing unexpected for an early beta but I certainly would not install it on a production iPad at this time.

21. cmaier macrumors G5

On an iPad Pro 12.9 seen (and reported) lots of bugs.

1) email flaky. Particularly exchange account gets stuck fetching, new mail does not come in reliably, etc. Threaded mail view gets messed up, too. Keeps reverting to three column view even when i hide the left column. Etc.

2) respringing a few times a night

3) the divider between split view apps disappears and then you can’t resize until you reboot

4) apple news keeps thinking i dont have a subscription to news+ until a reboot

5) reboots every night when I am asleep and it is charging

6) certain web pages freeze up and crash the browser (e.g. duolingo)

7) drag and drop files from Files.app to, for example, an email composition window, is hit and miss. Generally does not work, so I have to copy and paste (which loses metadata/file name)

Lots of other random little glitches here and there. Better than a lot of first betas i’ve Seen (been here since the beginning) but by no means recommended as a daily driver.

22. saudor macrumors 6502a

Wait. Watches automatically update itself to developer betas - just by charging?

23. jhfenton macrumors 6502a

jhfenton

It doesn't work this way. You have to go out of your way to install the Watch beta profile in order to update to Watch OS 6.

My iPhone 8 is perfectly stable on DB 1. Not a single app I use is broken, and I've seen only cosmetic bugs. I've had a couple of resprings on my iPad Air 2, but not on my phone.

24. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Not perfect, but definitely useable. Fast and stable for the most part. Mail needs some work and some apps are not working properly, but nothing critical for me and I use my iPad Pro and iPhone as my main work computers.

25. script macrumors newbie

script

On iPadOS in messengers like iMessage or Viber the last message isn’t visible (scrolled down) It’s pretty annoying.
    Maybe it’s cause I was ui]sing the floating keyboard.