How strong is that glass?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Jun 19, 2010.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

30x stronger than plastic?

Do you guys think it will be more scratch resistant than the 3GS glass?

I think I am sold on this tech, and it would be cool to see it in action. I do not plan to get a case for this, simply because, it looks cool the way it is, without a case.

2. elephunkman macrumors 65816

I think they're marketing it as stronger than the current glass, so I hope it will be stronger.

3. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, it's 30 times stronger than Saran Wrap.:D

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

Before we start this thread, I think it'll be useful if we all know what strength and hardness means.

stiff
    if it is difficult to stretch or bend the material (e.g. a metal sheet is stiffer than a polythene
    sheet of the same dimensions). The stiffness is indicated by the Young modulus.

hard
    if it is difficult to dent the surface of the material (e.g. a steel knife is much harder than a plastic knife). Hardness is tested by machines that indent the surface. Many ceramics are very hard.

brittle
    if it breaks by snapping cleanly. The brittleness of glass is a consequence of defects
    such as fine surface cracks, which propagate easily through the material.

tough
    if the material does not break by snapping cleanly. A tough material is resistant to the
    propagation of cracks. Toughness is the opposite of brittleness. Metals are tough, and
    break by plastic flow. There is no one simple measure of toughness, but a tough material will dissipate a large amount of energy per unit area of new fracture surface.

5. elephunkman macrumors 65816

HAHAHAHAHA.

6. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

Who knows, maybe some idiot will do a smash-an-iphone4 video on launch day and post it on YouTube like they did with the iPad.

7. GreggM3 macrumors 6502

I hope it's more scratch resistant and stronger! I had a 3GS fall from hip height to a gravel driveway in a Seidio hard case and the screen cracked. BTW it landed face up. And as far as scratches, I have a few on my screen.

8. jpefjr macrumors regular

jpefjr

To me the question isn't "how tough is it" but "will it blend". And I'm fairly certain we'll be finding out that answer to that real soon now. :)

9. Gigzz macrumors regular

It's more resistant to bending (who bends their phone?) but not resistant to smashing at all.don't drop it.

10. foot56 macrumors regular

The iPhone is made of aluminosilicate glass. Apple says it's "chemically strengthened to be 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic" and it's "ultradurable and more scratch resistant than ever." Still not enough to survive a 3.5-foot drop.

That's what the people at iFixyouri did: Test Apple's claims by dropping the iPhone 4 from 3.5 feet, the distance you drop a phone when you're standing up. They say their iPhone—which they claim is real, but without any internal components—survived the first two shocks.

On the third one, however, the display was completely shattered after a loud pop. That's a sound I'm personally familiar with: My current iPhone 3G's display has broken two times in the same way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's not surprising that the Cupertino company is releasing a protective case of their own called the "bumper". Because now, unlike older iPhones where there's one side that has a display and one side that's plastic or aluminum—where you don't care if it gets messed up or cracked—now both sides are glass. Which means both sides are susceptible to breaking. My iPhone was dropped on its display face two times and broke two times. I lost count on the times it dropped on its back.

11. reaborg macrumors member

12. foot56 macrumors regular

13. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Haha, I love watching those videos! :D

14. JZ Wire macrumors regular

JZ Wire

LOL. Anyway, in my experience, just a little TLC and common sense should keep your phone in good shape. I never used a case for my 3G in a long while but after dropping it several times I realized that I'd rather cover it up a bit than having the phone break.
    I've never shattered the glass but I do have a few small cracks in the plastic. While I do believe that the new glass will be even stronger, I'm still going to buy the new bumper case. Eventhough the case will cover some of the iPhones beautiful design, we are still human and prone to mistakes.

15. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

You have to keep in mind that this phone had no internal components, which add to the durability and rigidity of the phones structure.

16. Iphone3gs macrumors 6502

Young modulus

Young Modulus defined as stress over strain.

Were stress = Force/ Area
    Strain= length / extension

17. Gigzz macrumors regular

Ummm no. The guts will add weight and velocity making the likelihood of a smash more prevalent.

18. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I've just got away from Physics, I don't need more.

19. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

20. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

21. rmwhite macrumors member

Strain = change in length / intial length

22. Captainobvvious macrumors 6502

Give me a break, that test was ridiculous and completely bogus.

We have no details of the test, no pictures or video of the test taking place just pictures of the smashed phone that could have very well been photoshopped or even smashed with a hammer.

Second it was a phone SHELL. It was a hollow case with no internal components, not even buttons making it MUCH MUCH more easily broken because there is nothing to share the force of the shock or to support the screen.

Bogus testing should be ignored. I do look forward to seeing real testing done after launch.

23. Krevnik macrumors 68040

Krevnik

At the same time, we have to consider the amount of extra force compared to the amount of extra force the guts allow to be dissipated.

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Always beware salesmen spouting numbers. :)

Seriously. People should avoid being impressed by numbers, no matter how cool they sound, until they know exactly what they mean.

What kind of plastic? Stronger in what way? Heck, someone noted that even your fingernails are that much stronger than some plastics... but will still crack and break.

If it's like Corning Gorilla Glass (and it sounds like that's what it is), then yes. Especially since previous iPhones used optical quality glass, which is designed for clarity, not scratch resistance.

As for break tests, no one can test all the different scenarios. The point is, if it hits just right, it's going to break. That's no doubt one reason why Apple is pushing the bumpers.