How stupid is your car Navigation system?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by senseless, Jul 1, 2012.

1. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I just bought a new Subaru with built in Navigation. I planned a trip to Virginia Beach from Pennsylvania and it easily added another hour to my trip by taking illogical routes. If I had just followed the Mapquest printout, all would have been well.

What kind of algorithms does a GPS use? Are some manufacturers better than others and for online directions, is Mapquest or GoogleMaps better?

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

they are all different from what i know. some are better and some are worse. i tried using a garmin gps once but found it so much more trouble than looking at a map beforehand that i have never used one since, even on long road trips. just not worth the frustration.

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Considering it's me, fairly oblivious. :p

I find GPS and whatnot to be a waste of time. Sure, it'll get you there most of the time, and every once in a while on a faster route than one you would have picked, but whatever was the problem with good ol' paper maps?

4. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Are your maps up to date?
    Have you set your routing options correctly? (avoid tolls, vs fastest route, vs shortest distance, use scenic routes, ect...)

Because those will get you every time.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Stupid enough that I usually end up using Google Maps instead :p

6. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

I used to use Garmin, but the TomTom seems to use far less idiotic routes, so I've been fairly happy with it. I'll use a combination of paper maps and the GPS on long road trips. It certainly helps that the GPS locates the nearest gas stations on long stretches.

7. Mr Kram macrumors 68000

Mr Kram

the worst in car navigation was in my 2008 E63. that thing would spin my in endless circles sometimes. the crappiest handheld was this garmin that i picked up a few years back. that was easily even worse than the mercedes. with that said, i recently took this 8 year old tom tom with no updates on a trip last week and it was flawless.

8. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

TomTom lets you choose between "fastest" and "shortest" route. Choosing the shortest route obviously gets you the shortest route. So instead of taking an hour to drive around London it will take two or three hours driving straight throught the center. Maybe that's what happened to you.

On the other hand, TomTom seems limited in its knowledge about actual speed of roads. If there is a way to reach your destination with a 20 mile motorway trip, or a 10 mile trip on a major road, it often picks the motorway, apparently believing that the major road has a speed limit of 30 mph, instead of the 60 mph that it really has.

The algorithm doesn't really matter much, but if you ask for "fastest" route, then TomTom will give you the route that is, according to its knowledge of distances and estimated average speeds, the fastest route. How much the estimated average speeds agree with reality, that's the problem.

That's one complaint that I have: On a long trip, I don't want the nearest gas station. I want the gas station that I can reach comfortably that adds the least amount of distance to my trip. So if I have plenty of fuel for another 100 miles, I would prefer a petrol station that is 60 miles away but exactly on the best path, or one that only means a 100 metre detour, and not the nearest one which might take me a mile off the road.

9. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

It's brand new, so it's up to date. I set it for Quick (fastest). Part of my problem was that the GPS kept taking me off of "Rt 13" to put me onto "Business RT 13" which was full of traffic. Also, it sometimes displayed "Rt 13" as "Dupont Highway", "Sussex Blvd", "South Fruitland Blvd" or "Charles Lankford Memorial Highway", which confused me. It would be better if it displayed the route and the name.

10. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Blame GM, their short relationship with Subaru left them with the useless Denso system. I like the Alpine base systems Honda, Merc, BMW (with heavy customizations :p) use, better (just from driving quite a few more cars than I'd like to).

EDIT: Delphi, not Denso. Denso is also useless, since it locks out when the car moves.

11. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

Back in the 90s before there was GPS, I made it all over the west from Denver to California and back with just paper maps. GPS devices just make it easier without having to pull over and make sure you are still on the right route or having to pay attention to signs.

12. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

Well, in the US :p However, I agree memorizing maps >>>>>>>> any electronic guiding system.

13. NewAnger macrumors 6502a

And knowing how far a rest area is for those times when you really really seriously really gotta go. :eek:

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

How stupid is your car Navigation system?

As stupid as the driver. :eek: Baby KIA doesn't have one, nor do I have a hand-held model.

I also use Google maps, to plot-out my routing for picking up peeps.

Just a few notes on my run log, and I'm good to go.

Oh, I also carry a free street map, that I tore out of the front of a phone book, just in case. ;)

15. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Anyone remember AAA Trip-Tiks? Back in the day, you'd ring them up, tell them where you're going, and how you want to get there, and they'd give you a stack of maps, with the best route highlighted. For free!

Got me across the USA a couple times when I was younger.

Looks like they still do it! :eek:

16. malman89 macrumors 68000

I just look things up on Google Maps prior and just remember what to do. If it's potentially really confusing, I just use my Android phone's Google Navigation, which has never done me wrong.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yep, CAA up here. The advantage is they usually highlight speed trap areas, current construction detours and the like.

If you choose Scenic, they also include a short synopsis for each area on-route.

If you are paying for their road-assist coverage, you would be foolish not to use this free service.

There is nothing quite like the tactile feel of a map, when your wife is driving. :eek:

18. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

The only thing that beats the feel of a map, is seeing other cars stuck in construction traffic, that you just avoided!

I forgot that they did that too, and that was a lifesaver. They also highlighted recommended places to eat / wash / sleep, and more importantly, which areas to avoid these activities.

Those were fun trips. :D

19. senseless thread starter macrumors 68000

senseless

Actually this system is made by Kenwood, but it does lock out a lot of functions when the car is moving. Honda/ Acura navigation might be the best; agreed.

20. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I sold my garmin. It was so worthless. Now I just take a few notes on a post it and go. My phone acts as a back up but a whole trip would kill the battery.

21. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Fortunately for me, with my absolutely appalling sense of direction, the nav system in my '07 BMW M Roadster is great. Miss a turn, it instantly recalculates and gets me back on course It gives turn by turn, plenty of warning of upcoming turn, and a huge amount of fantastically well laid out, easy to read at a glance, information on the screen.

I love it!!!:D

22. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

So, you will not be volunteering to be my navigator, for the next Mille Miglia, should they decide to resurrect it? :p

I fondly remember a Sterling Moss article in Road & Track about running in this "race". They had maps on continuous strip rolls, to better track the roads ahead. :cool:

Crazy Italians back in those days. ;)

23. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

If I remember correctly, lots of bystanders were getting killed during the Mille Miglia, so they stopped it a bunch of years ago. Of course, people standing right on the edge of the road while the cars are going by at speed represents those with IQ's of a house plant...Darwin deaths.

As far as navigating for you, it would be the Multi-Mille Miglia with me reading the maps!:D

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm still astounded by some of the directions, that both my wife's garman and my navigon provide. Neither of them are particularly accurate in providing the most accurate direct directions

25. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Mine seems to like to take the long way despite best efforts. I cannot complain since I am using maps from 2009.