How sure are you guys about Retina 13 Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BNHabs, Jun 24, 2012.

1. BNHabs macrumors regular

Do you think we will be seeing the 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina this upcoming holiday season for sure?

I say next year - for one, customers who purchased regular 13-inch Pro's will be extremely pissed off as a new one is released a few months later.

What do you guys think?

Is it a for sure, or you think we will be seeing them with Haswell?

Buy 13-inch Air now or wait for 13-inch Retina in a few months?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No one knows for sure except Apple.

3. racer1441 macrumors 68000

I don't think we'll ever see a 13inch retina mbp.

4. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

I say definitely not this year...Apple will make money off of people who don't need the current Retina display MBP but who buy it because the screen is so good, so they're in no hurry to release a cheaper model.

I'd say earliest is around this time next year, but I still wouldn't say definitively there will be one within then. I think a 13'' rMBP will eventually be released, but it could be a while.

I think there's a chance that they will continue making the "classic" MBP's for a few years since they are so good and were so successful, and that they might only keep the current rMBP 15'' and maybe just upgrade the Airs to better displays. Although it is logical that Apple will release a 13'' rMBP, people are too sure about something they don't know- Apple is so unpredictable you really don't know. A lot of times they make obvious moves, but a lot of times they don't. Who would've thought the 4S would be as minor an upgrade as it was?

5. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I feel like we will not see a 13 inch rMBP. I feel like Apple will update the 13 inch MBA to retina in a few years, once integrated graphics option are fast enough. Then there will only be the 15 inch computer in the pro line and the 11 and 13 inch options in the Air line. That's just what I think though!

6. skaertus macrumors 68030

skaertus

Sounds plausible.

If the 13-inch follows the trend set by the 15-inch retina MacBook Pro, then it will lose the optical disk drive and the Ethernet Port. In addition, it will become thinner and lighter. There would be too many similarities between a redesigned 13-inch Pro and the current 13-inch Air will be the processor. I guess Apple would just merge the two lines of laptops or drop one of the models.

7. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Integrated graphics are already fast enough. The Air and the MBPr both use Intel HD 4000. The issue, in my opinion, is the amount of space needed for a battery to power it as long as the current model.

8. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I think we'll see a 13" RMBP eventually. Whether it's this year or next year or later who knows.

I think that rather than push for Retina in the Airs in the short term, Apple would rather keep the existing displays and keep reducing the prices. They want the Air to be the go-to basic laptop, taking the place that used to belong to the plastic Macbook and later the 13" MBP.

The main "evidence" for a 13" RMBP this year is the same analyst who correctly predicted that Apple would introduce the Retina 15" as a new line, rather than replacing the existing MBP. If it comes out this year with only Intel HD4000 graphics I think that I might hold off on it. I could see them going with a low power dedicated GPU, something like a GT 630M or GT 640M.

9. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I guess the graphics are powerful enough, but the battery tech definitely needs some evolution. I don't want a MBA with 2 hours of battery life!

----------

I don't think that there is enough room in the 13 inch MBP to fit any dedicated GPU, whether it be high or low powered.

10. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I don't know if batteries are due for that sort of leap. With the iPad as well, once retina was involved they had to throw more battery poundage at it. But the displays themselves may well need less power in future.

11. Stetrain macrumors 68040

Yep. Sharp's new IGZO displays claim to offer high pixel densities without more backlight power. Driving a higher resolution display can require more CPU/GPU power, but right now the increased backlight requirement is probably the biggest battery killer.

The analyst said that the 13" RMBP would use a display that had lower yields than the 15". Maybe Apple is working on using the new IGZO displays. That might also explain why it would launch in the fall.

If they can build a 13" RMBP with a similar battery size as the current 13" MBP, they would have a lot of room left in the case with the removal of the optical drive. Maybe we'll see the first 13" quad core, or a dual core with a low power dedicated GPU.

12. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted

Yep, we'll see a 13" Pro Retina before Haswell...within a year. It's probably just a matter of Apple getting better yields on the display as an analyst had already noted and tweaking the thermals for a smaller chassis.

13. PVisitors macrumors 6502a

After reading Anand's review about the hardware limitations of Ivybridge, I don't think it would be possible for a 13" MBPR unless they plan to use a dGPU.

14. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Note that the limitations were due to the fact that the 15" MBPr had a huge resolution. The 13 inch would need a comparatively smaller display resolution to be retina. The smaller resolution should have support for hardware based scaling that the 15 inch lacks which caused the massive reliance on CPU power.

15. Stetrain macrumors 68040

That's true. The 13" RMBP would most likely have a 2560x1600 resolution. That's not a huge difference from the 15", but it's much more common. There have been 30" 2560x1600 monitors for years, and the Anandtech review mentioned that this was the highest resolution officially supported/optimized for by most GPUs.

16. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I think there will be a 13" rMBP this year. I'd bet on a dual-core, integrated graphics model for the baseline, and if we're lucky a quad-core option with lower clock speeds on the higher end (there is one ivy bridge 35W quad core). No dedicated GPUs even on high-end.

The HD4000 can drive a 2560x1600 display just fine. Even the HD3000 could. It won't be a killer in 3D gaming but neither is the current one.

And releasing a new product shortly after upgrading the legacy 13" pro won't stop Apple, they've done it before and they'll do it again if they can make money. Remember the 200$ price drop on the iPhone?

I'm waiting for one now myself, the Air is not ideal for me and I'd love the variable resolution scaling (I personally think 1280x800 is the ideal res on 13", I find the text too small on the 13" Air). At least with a retina Air I could go 1280x800 in retina definition and scale up if I need more desktop space.

17. TheRdungeon macrumors 6502

I can't see there being enough differentiation between the Pro and Air once the Air gains a retina display unfortunately. The rMBP is sort of the jack of all trades now with its scaling abilities

18. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

I highly doubt it.
    Tbh, I don't want to see a 13in RMBP.
    15in is enough.

Retina on a 13in wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 2012 model.
    The screen size is way to small for the resolution.

19. imladris macrumors member

The non-retina 13 and 15 have pixel densities of about 113 ppi and 110 ppi, respectively. So, the 13 inch has about 3% higher ppi. The retina 15 inch has about 221 ppi, about 94% higher dpi than the MacBook Pro 13 inch.

Arguably, the improvement in "sharpness" from going from 1280x800 to 2560x1600 on an 13 inch screen should be almost exactly the same as for the 15 inch non-retina vs the retina screen. If you disagree, please describe why.

20. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

I think it's a given that all the macbook pro/air range will go to retina the question for me is on the 13" what pseudo resolutions will they offer?

I reckon it will be Best for Retina and that is all as anything higher than that would be crazy for such a small screen size, (case in point Vaio Z 13" 1080p!)

21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

I doubt that we'll see an Air with retina display for a while. Apple wants the Air to be a cheap (as far as Macbooks go) entry level machine.

I think that Retina will be the major differentiation between Pro and Air once they roll out a 13" RMBP and eventually retire the 13" and 15" non-retina models.

----------

Best for Retina will probably be "Looks like 1280x800". Maybe with options for "Looks like 1440x900" and "Looks like 1680x1050" on the high end.

22. BK. macrumors member

Personally? I don't think it will happen within the next 2 years. I don't think we'll see one before 2014, unfortunately, as much as I want one to come, and soon.

The specs of the 15" are nice, but honestly... I don't need super high specs anymore. The only thing that makes me want a 15" MBP is to buy the classic 15" with the screen upgrade to 1680x1050. The specs of the 13" do me fine except the **** screen resolution... 1280x800 is not enough. I had 1440x900 since 2007, and 1680x1050 since 2009. Going back to that resolution would make me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

The current 2012 edition 13" Macbook Pro have the same screen resolution as the standard white Macbook of 2006.

I just read that to myself and can't stop laughing. That is hilarious. Oh, Apple.

It needs to be upgraded, but my bet is on that it won't be any time soon.

Apple sell millions of the 13" MBP as it is... look at it from their perspective. They sell millions as it is, with the Fisher Price screen resolution of 2006. Why would they bother investing time, money, effort, research etc. in to putting a retina display in the 13" when they're already laughing themselves to the bank?

I don't think Apple are as innovative with their laptops [yes, I know the MBP Retina was just put out... the first "proper" update in what, 5 years? :rolleyes: ;)] anymore as they used to be. Their focus on innovation seems to apply mainly to the iPhone and iPad now... I don't think they care as much for pushing boundaries on their laptops as much as they once did. Hence, I don't see it happening any time soon.

23. daleski75 macrumors 65816

daleski75

Would apple ditch the 1280x800 screen and just use the 1440x900 one in the Air's for the 13" and use a retina one of that or have 3 different retina screens?

Looks like 1680x1050 on a 13" would be very interesting to see.

24. fisherking macrumors 601

fisherking

EVERYTHING moves forward. every time we'd see an advance in a mac (i started on a 12" powerbook), people said we'd NOT see the new tech trickle down (i.e. firewire, firewire 800, etc etc). i remember when apple REMOVED firewire from the new 13" MacBooks (2008 aluminum, which i had).

the forums were filled with people explaining that the 13" would never have firewire: no room on the logic board, no room on the casing, etc etc.

next 13" revision: firewire port.

apple will continue to move forward, so, at some point (i'm guessing before the end of the year), there will be a retina 13".

25. macNewbie02 macrumors regular

Hmmm.... Apple is not innovative with their laptops? Do you know any other brand that makes any laptop similar to the rMBP?

I think not.