How the White iPhone 3G should have looked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Alphanumeric, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Alphanumeric macrumors member

I think Apple should have made the face white to match the back of the iPhone 3G. The only reason I can think of why they didn't do this is because of the proximity/light sensor that is hidden to left of the speaker on the face of the phone. The tinted black glass hides this, but if you look real close in direct sunlight you can see two little red circles. I know I have never seen white tinted glass, so probably the only way for them to get this to work would be painting the back of the glass white which would prevent the proximity/light sensor from working.

Either way I did a quick photochop to see how it could of it looked. What do you guys think?

[​IMG]

2. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

That is absolutely sexy and definitely how it should have looked for sure. I agree 100%. I would have paid $400 for that in a heartbeat.

3. tsvb macrumors 6502

4. cheapa55 macrumors 6502a

Sexy indeed!!! +1 on the home button being white.

5. Alphanumeric thread starter macrumors member

Actually I don't mind the home button being black with the white square. Gives it some contrast like the screen.

Also, I was thinking of having a piece of white vinyl diecut to fit over the screen to change the color to white. The only problem is again the proximity/light sensor to the left of the speaker. When you are on a phone call and place the phone next to your ear it turns the screen off. You can test this by placing your hand or a credit card over the sensor, it will automatically turn the screen off. The only way I can think around this would be to have two small circles cut in the vinyl to keep the sensors functional. Not the best for aesthetics, but probably the only work around for now.

6. Alphanumeric thread starter macrumors member

7. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

8. bagelche macrumors 6502

bagelche

while I personally wouldn't want a white iphone (I'd take one, though), I agree that this has a more cohesive look. I also think the white home button looks better.

mockup fun!

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

I think it looks pretty slick.

The current white looks good, but the two-tone part does bother me a little.

10. i0Nic macrumors 65816

I prefer the face being black, makes the screen pop out more and has more of a tablet look. Also with only the back being white it provides a nice contrast to the front face.

11. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Whatever the opinion of the White iPhone is currently (masculine or feminine) I recon this looks awesome in FULL white like this.

I'm gonna nickname this the "EVE Model" - Ha Ha

Still gonna get the White one as soon as I can though. Nearest Apple Store is like 2 hours drive from me :-(

12. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

The reason is because they could cut costs by doing just a black face.

13. Alphanumeric thread starter macrumors member

14. illitrate23 macrumors 6502

illitrate23

actually - i've still yet to get a 3G iphone, and i'm torn between the black or the white
    but to be honest, i'm not keen on the white front idea. i think if they had done that, i'd have an easier choice deciding on the black one - but hey, that's goth in me i guess :)

i'll admit though - it does look nicer with the front matching the back - just not my cuppa tea

15. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

Best one....
    I would buy that in a heartbeat over the black iPhone...

And yes I am a dude.

16. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Sorry dude, prefer the Black background on the software,

White Back
    White Front
    White Home Button
    +
    Black Software Background

My fav combination.

17. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

Haha.
    You know.... I prefer the white MacBook to the black... but I prefer the black iPhone to the white. Not sure why, but I do.

18. Alphanumeric thread starter macrumors member

I suppose you prefer black tea? ;)

19. mr.light macrumors 6502

Wow. That really looks great! I wonder how the software would look with the white frame? Maybe a thin(ish) black frame?

20. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

that looks sweet

21. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

no i much prefer the current white iPhones thanks..

22. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

[​IMG]

23. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

When my white iPhone 3G was presented to me at the time of purchase, the plastic sticky cover on the front gave the black parts a light grayish color... and it looked pretty dope. I asked the employee if it was like that, then he took it off, and i was like "meh.."

24. Pandora01 macrumors regular

Sweet mockups! If they had really come with a white face, I definitely would have gotten white. But the current two-tone look did not grab me at all. My mom got the white, though.

25. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I like the all white (background included). That's what I had hoped a white one would look like.