Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
it seems like a no brainer that there will be a update with mac pro. why would apple release mac pro with nothing to use thunderbolt 2 with?

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
it seems like a no brainer that there will be a update with mac pro. why would apple release mac pro with nothing to use thunderbolt 2 with?

How do you figure "nothing to use thunderbolt 2 with"? TB2 is backwards compatible with TB1, so there nothing stopping you from using the existing TBD with the new Mac Pro.

There is no point in releasing TB2 display update without 4K resolution, and the 4K display prices are still prohibitive for general market. So, TB2 display update will happen eventually, but it won't be this year.

Hog Milanese

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2012
Austin
If they do anything, it will be a refresh of the current TBD with Thunderbolt 2, USB3.0, and that's it.

They teased 4K displays for the new Mac Pro, but as others have noted, the technology to drive such displays is not wide-reaching. If they did release 4K displays, they would be in addition to the TBD/refresh, and limited in supply/application.

fredr500

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
I don't understand this obsession with thinness. It's a desktop display, what difference does it make if it is 3mm thick or 2 inches? I look at the front of it when it's sitting on my desk, the stand takes the same amount of desk space regardless of the display thickness, so so what?

I'd rather it be cheaper and a little thicker than more money and thinner. Am I the only one?

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
How do you figure "nothing to use thunderbolt 2 with"? TB2 is backwards compatible with TB1, so there nothing stopping you from using the existing TBD with the new Mac Pro.

There is no point in releasing TB2 display update without 4K resolution, and the 4K display prices are still prohibitive for general market. So, TB2 display update will happen eventually, but it won't be this year.

Um, of course there is a point in releasing TB2 display update without 4K resolution. Especially if MBP has TB2, you owuld need a monitor that has TB2 in order to take advantage of TB2 items that you might have hooked up and/or daisy chain monitors. Apple wouldn't release a product where the only use of it is with 3rd party items.

I"d imagine TB2 hub and USB 3.0 built into the new TBD

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
The mac pro will most definitely be delayed and the monitor being separated from the main line. Stuff like the mac-mini will need a monitor still and they'll differentiate their product lines. It'll be upper-scale retina monitor for those that can even afford a mac pro and a redesigned thunderbolt display.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
Um, of course there is a point in releasing TB2 display update without 4K resolution. Especially if MBP has TB2, you owuld need a monitor that has TB2 in order to take advantage of TB2 items that you might have hooked up and/or daisy chain monitors. Apple wouldn't release a product where the only use of it is with 3rd party items.

I"d imagine TB2 hub and USB 3.0 built into the new TBD

Apple equipped new Mac Pro with TB2 to (a) future-proof it, and (b) provide compatibility with ultra high-performance peripherals (such as Promise Storage or Asus 4K display). This way, professional Mac Pro customers who are willing to spend the thousands of dollars on those peripherals are able to do so here and now.

Apple's own display does not need to support TB2 for Mac Pro users to be able to take advantage of these cutting edge TB2 peripherals. I am certain that Apple will not update its 27" display with TB2 port, while keeping current resolution - that just makes no sense.

FrozenDarkness

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2009
Apple equipped new Mac Pro with TB2 to (a) future-proof it, and (b) provide compatibility with ultra high-performance peripherals (such as Promise Storage or Asus 4K display). This way, professional Mac Pro customers who are willing to spend the thousands of dollars on those peripherals are able to do so here and now.

Apple's own display does not need to support TB2 for Mac Pro users to be able to take advantage of these cutting edge TB2 peripherals. I am certain that Apple will not update its 27" display with TB2 port, while keeping current resolution - that just makes no sense.

One of us will be wrong the. Well see

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 27, 2010
Ever since the Thunderbolt Display was released we didn't get any rumors regarding the new display except random inventory shortages here and there...this worries me.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Yeah, that also concerns me too. Not a single leak or rumor about the specs. I guess TBD isn't as popular and people don't risk their jobs over something as small.

silvetti

macrumors 6502a
Nov 24, 2011
Poland
Hope they release the monitor together with the new rMBP, because that's what I will be getting :D

If they don't I will wait :)

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
I think there have been rumours lately a new, cheaper iMac, but that could potentially be a thunderbolt display instead, which I believe has happened before.

I'd love to see it updated to match the new iMacs though, not that I can afford them, but I'd love it :)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007

I agree regarding not going 4K just yet. However there's nothing stopping it taking advantage of TB2 and offering it as a pass-through. In fact I'd expect it otherwise the display has to be the last item on your chain if I'm not mistaken, or at least after all TB2 devices.

Given the massive profit margin Apple surely enjoy on the TB Display I'm sure they can add TB2 and keep the current pricing. Give it 6 months and their costs will be the same as they are now for TB1.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
0.0 mm thick ... IOW: non-existant.

I have the odd feeling that the display won't see a refresh until 2014. They should be releasing one with the Pro, but I have no faith in Apple's logic these days.

ArmanSLR

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2007
Just bought a new TD 27" display two days ago, got it today but waiting on my 27" imac 2013 that I bought as well, should be here friday.

I'm waiting to see if they update it, if they do I may return and buy the new one depending on when it will be available, one thing I love however,

Apples return policy! 14 days, you can open it, no restock fee.

grandM

macrumors 68000
Oct 14, 2013
discount

Saw a reduction of 12% on atd. Might come new display so. Do wonder if it isn't better to take the discount...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.