How this site was created

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by 10smom, Apr 14, 2008.

1. 10smom macrumors regular

Hi,

I like the look and feel of this web site especially the home news page. I was wondering are you using a blog server like wordpress or did you create
    your own blog style page? Did you do the coding or did you use software like dreamweaver? thanks

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Ah... what a refreshing post, rather than the usual "this style sucks" :)

The home page runs a custom software to manage the stories and integrate with vbulletin. The style was created mostly by me with various sample code and examples from around. It was done in a text editor, not with any particular HTML editor.

arn

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

thanks arn. you've really done a good job with it, i'm impressed.

4. angelneo macrumors 68000

I came in, thought the thread was about the history of macrumors.... In any case is there any post about that?

5. asrmatt macrumors regular

asrmatt

Me too! :p I thought the same thing...

By the way let me say I really like the look of Macrumors.
    Bravo Arn...!

6. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Ditto on the last two comments. I'm interested in the history of MacRumors. I was visiting long before I actually registered. But I'm curious what the inspiration was to start this site up (other than obviously being Mac fans). What was the motivation to start something new rather than contributing to a site that already existed? How did MacRumors become so popular? Was it a collaborative effort? How did the site get going? Etc., etc....

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well in the beginning God ... err Jobs and Woz, whatever... created Apple and it was good. Then Arn said, "Geez what are they going to do next?" and Macrumors was born. ;)

8. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Quick Google search came up with this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-29267.html

9. 10smom thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info. I am trying to decide if I should create my own blog w/ rapidweaver or use Wordpress. I need to see what wordpress template are like I do not want to be too restricted. I love the site by the way. I come here every day for my Mac news fix.

10. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

11. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I think cos it's an archived post. Either the system doesn't search through the archives or it's all the way at the back of the search results.

I always find using Google for forum searches is far faster than directly searching in the forum. I'm also not prohibited by that annoying one search per 10 seconds rule! It's amazing how quickly Google has new posts in its index.