How to activate an iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iFitz, Feb 3, 2011.

1. iFitz macrumors regular

This is for everyone who keeps asking how to activate the phone, and those that keep telling them to dial #228.

You can NOT activate an iPhone using #228. The only way to activate an iPhone is to connect to iTunes and it will be activated that way. Make sure you have the lastest version of iTunes so you're ready to activate when your phone arrives.

Enjoy!

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

This fact has been known since Day 1 back in 2007. Aside from jailbreaking that is.

3. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Yeah only for At&t cutomers... Does this also apply to Verizon customers?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It will be the same thing. Nothing changes, just the GSM chip is gone and replaced by a CDMA chip.

5. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Yep, so then there will be some VZW customers trying to activiate their iphone via #228 the traditional way.. :) Because I didn't know this. :eek:

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Activation at home via iTunes was one of the great feature of the iPhone back in 2007. No way Apple will remove it. Sure we almost got it revoked back in 2008, but it prevailed in 2009 and 2010. This year will not be different.:)

7. iFitz thread starter macrumors regular

I realize that (since I've been an iPhone customer since day 1) but a lot of people here are new iPhone customers with Verizon and do not realize that, evident by the posts asking how to activate, and the replies telling them to dial #228. Just trying to clear up any confusion for those who may not know.

8. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Here's a dumb question: does it have to be your iTunes acct?

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

No. The activation of an iPhone for the first time is handled separately from your iTunes account.

10. iFitz thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, you have to plug into iTunes and it will ask for your ID and password. You will need to have iTunes to activate.

11. DoodleD macrumors newbie

Having been a Verizon customer for many years and anxiously awaiting this moment to purchase an iPhone, I need a little more clarification on activation. Am I understanding correctly that when I receive my phone next week, I just sync it to my existing itunes account and it becomes activated? Does this mean that I don't need to call a Verizon rep to activate or will I still need to call?

12. edk99 macrumors 6502a

No not just ATT customers for every single iPhone that goes to every single carrier all over the world. Verizon iPhone will be no different. Just another carrier.

13. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Activation and syncing to your itunes account are two different things. First you activate through iTunes. It does not matter whose iTunes you use. Then you can sync it to "your" iTunes and iTunes account.

All Apple stores and ATT stores and all other carrier stores run iTunes to activate your phone. This will also be the same for the Verizon stores too.

14. iFitz thread starter macrumors regular

Correct, you activate through iTunes, and will not need to call Verizon to activate.

15. bgish3 macrumors newbie

What about if you used someone else's upgrade can you activate it twice from itunes

16. iFitz thread starter macrumors regular

The first time you plug in the phone to iTunes, it will just activate it and ask you to register it. Then it will ask you if you want to sync. You can choose the account you want to sync with. Don't worry, just plug it in.

17. bgish3 macrumors newbie

I mean I have to activate it on one # and then activate on my number on a separate account

18. iFitz thread starter macrumors regular

Activate it once, and then you're going to have to call Verizon to switch it, I think.

19. bgish3 macrumors newbie

Ok that works for me. Thanks

20. Namji macrumors 6502a

Namji

Sorry, I was speaking specifically in the USA. Hence thats why I said Only ATT customers.

21. iFitz thread starter macrumors regular

Just to clarify for those who still don't understand, this is from the Apple website for both AT&T and Verizon phones.

When I buy from the Apple Online Store, does my iPhone come ready to use?
    Yes. When your iPhone arrives, all you have to do is connect it to iTunes to activate it with your carrier and sync your contacts, music, and other data. There’s no need to call the carrier or visit a store to complete the activation.

22. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I'm having to do the same thing with my wife's phone when it arrives. From what I've heard, there are ways of doing this without even having to call Verizon. Supposedly there is an option online, but I'm not 100% sure.

23. bakerster macrumors regular

read the thread..

plug it into a computer with the latest iTunes installed. Done.