How to add get more then 25 post per page?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by The Doctor11, May 31, 2015.

1. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

How can I bump up the post count per page like on the old forums? I just prefer to scroll rather then wait for a new page to load all the time.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

3. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Alright. Is this something we'll see in the future?

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

The solution isn't entirely straightforward, so I don't know yet

5. The Doctor11 thread starter macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Ok thank you.

6. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

For reference only: this problem was observed on the first day of open testing.

I look forward to a possible solution, but I'm in no rush; the forced limitation is only mildly irritating. If my opinion changes after a couple of weeks or so, I'll add to this topic.

7. Moshe1010 macrumors 6502a

8. grahamperrin, Jun 11, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

Less than two weeks have passed, but changes of opinion were extreme so I'll share these observations now:
    1. the fixed limit – 25 items – soon became extremely, frequently irritating (I found just two major barriers, negative things, one of which was that fixation)
    2. very soon after fellow members allowed removal of the first barrier, my perception of the second barrier was positively transformed.
    Postscripts

I moved some thoughts from this post, to http://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21453850.

The likely explanation for my extremely negative change of opinion (point 1 above) was added to http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/posts/21454185 (2015-06-13) and I should emphasise, here, that I'm no longer irritated :)

9. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

http://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21455119 for a great, simple tip on how to show more than n things per page. Credit to @Gwendolini and I have suggested a move of that post to XenForo Tips and Tricks.

As a workaround, it can't be perfect (for example: numbered page buttons persist after the content from all pages is shown on one page) but that's a minor cosmetic issue, negligible when I'm enjoying more content.

The modern tip is most welcome (I already had the old AutoPagerize, installed but disabled long ago); I hadn't heard of Tampermonkey.

10. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

It disables those overlay functions though, clicking on an avatar does bring one directly to the member page, some might not like that.

11. grahamperrin, Jun 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2015

grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

I see – thanks.

At http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1710219/ with posts 1 to 64 on a single page, for example, I get:
    • the overlay when clicking the name of the poster of post 25
    • a new window by default when clicking the name of the poster of post 26.
    (I prefer the latter, but that's related to a separate issue with the current redesign. Related: Preferring a new window, not the overlay, for a click on a user.)

12. Gwendolini macrumors 6502

Gwendolini

I see. Logical, in a way.

Good luck with the script, those things are very handsome.