How to Adjust the Resolution of the iPhone Simulator to 1136x640

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

After reports that iOS 6's Springboard automatically adjusts to support the rumored 1136x640 resolution of the next iPhone, developer Cédric Luthi determined how accomplish that feat.
Earlier today, my friend Peter Steinberger asked if there is a way to tweak the iOS simulator device size. So I investigated, and found a pretty elegant solution. Without further ado, here is how to change the size of the iOS simulator in order to test your apps in resolutions never seen before.
The instructions are relatively simple, requiring the download of a small text file, and an editing of plist file. The hack is said to work on Xcode 4.4.1+ and the iPhone 5.1 Simulator with the iPhone (Retina) device.

It seems that except for Springboard, developer's apps will only get the new size in iOS 5/5.1 with this hack. Screenshot of it in action (top right) by @steipete.

Article Link: How to Adjust the Resolution of the iPhone Simulator to 1136x640

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Making the screen taller and not preserving the old resolution and aspect ratio is only one thing: retarded.

I cannot wait to enjoy stretched out games or black bars. /S

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Post deleted by moderator
It's not a photoshop. It's a taller-than-normal app running in the iPhone simulator on a Mac. The overlap is because the iPhone frame is a fixed size, while the simulator has been hacked to be larger than expected.

arn

----------

Making the screen taller and not preserving the old resolution and aspect ratio is only one thing: retarded.

Will likely be black bars.

arn

Last edited by a moderator:

sazivad

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2011
New Jersey
It's not a photoshop. It's a taller-than-normal app running in the iPhone simulator on a Mac. The overlap is because the iPhone frame is a fixed size, while the simulator has been hacked to be larger than expected.
Oh. Sorry... :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

blackcrayon

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003

Preserving the old resolution and aspect ratio would've been worse. It would just be lowering the PPI. I bet they will widen the phone slightly in 2014 and not make it any taller.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
This is what the screen to phone ratio should look like. I wish the iPhone didn't have such thick black bars on it. I'm holding my judgement till I actually see new phone, but I have a feeling Apple is going to keep the thicker top and bottom black sections on the phone and just stretch the device to be taller. All but confirmed with all these leaks.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Preserving the old resolution and aspect ratio would've been worse. It would just be lowering the PPI. I bet they will widen the phone slightly in 2014 and not make it any taller.
Would they not just raise the resolution to match? Or am I missing something?

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Did anyone else get this to work? I've been trying everything and my simulator stays normal.
have you changed the simulator to use the iphone retina ?
and have you manage to edit the plist file ? because it is locked and have to change the permission

pensoftware

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2008
have you changed the simulator to use the iphone retina ?
and have you manage to edit the plist file ? because it is locked and have to change the permission
Ahh, changing it to retina fixed it. Yup, I just moved the plist to my Desktop, changed it, and moved it back.

Last edited:

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here

Agreed. Kinda like how there's no native iPad apps and we're all stuck using iPhone apps, right?

Wait a second...

icrew

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2003
Has anyone tried it with any other resolutions, like:

1312x640 (double the 960-to-1136-pixel stretch), or
1280x720 (720p), or
794x1136 (add both one column and one row to springboard*), or
any larger 3x2 resolutions (800x1200, say), or
whatever?

*- Note: I just discovered something I didn't know about iOS. It may be old news, but it's new to me:
The spacing of the columns in springboard is not even. The icons are all 114 pixels wide, but the gaps between them are not equal. It goes like:
| 34 px | 114px icon | 38 px | 114px icon | 40 px | 114px icon | 38 px | 114px icon | 34 px |

So my guess about adding another column assumes:
| 34 px | 114px icon | 38 px | 114px icon | 40 px | 114px icon | 40 px | 114px icon | 38 px | 114px icon | 34 px |

That's how I got the 794px number, but of course Apple could monkey with the spacing a little to get it to fit a slightly larger or smaller display.

Last edited:

LeakedDave

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
Agreed. Kinda like how there's no native iPad apps and we're all stuck using iPhone apps, right?

Wait a second...
I'm stuck not having access to the same library of apps running natively. How is less native apps a good thing? On my iPad, it sucks that there's a bunch of iPhone apps and games that I can use, but poorly. Now on an iPhone I have to use crappy "old iPhone apps" ? So we have non-retina apps, retina apps, iPad apps, retina iPad apps, and now "tall iPhone" apps? So are we gonna get a separate section on the app store for the new device? iPhone, Tall iPhone, and iPad sections? Lol.

Not to mention developers have to deal with another aspect ratio / resolution. Which is doable, but it's extra unnecessary work.

Anyways. We'll see how they really handle this new device. But as soon as I heard it was only taller I was like *facepalm*.

Not to mention having a wider screen in portrait would make typing easier. 4" 960x640 would be the best for both users and developers. Of which I am both.

Snookerman

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2008
How do we know 1136x640 is the resolution they're going for? Wouldn't it make more sense to have it 1280x720? They could call it iPhone HD :)

sevoneone

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2010
nice, I guess for a portrait app it would fill in gracefully. not so much with landscape :

got some work to do.
Your simulator is running 5.1. I think you have to be running the latest preview of iOS 6 in order for the magic to happen...

Reason077

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2007
So are we gonna get a separate section on the app store for the new device? iPhone, Tall iPhone, and iPad sections? Lol.
No. I'm willing bet that the App Store reviewers will require all apps submitted for iOS 6 to work correctly in both tall & non-tall modes.

For most apps using standard UIKit stuff, it will be easy for developers to adopt the new screen height.

It might be more tricky for others, like some full screen games. But since those are often written to be portable to other devices with different resolutions anyway, again, it shouldn't be a big issue.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
From this simulator glitch, doesn't anyone else find that preserving the iPhone form factor and placing on it the new screen makes it a whole more beautiful rather than the new iPhone 5 factor????

That was a real eye opener! I really really hope the iPhone 6 to be exactly the same size as the iPhone 4 with a screen like this on it and perhaps a bit smaller home button or no home button at all...

Jeez this is beautiful!

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
From this simulator glitch, doesn't anyone else find that preserving the iPhone form factor and placing on it the new screen makes it a whole more beautiful rather than the new iPhone 5 factor????

That was a real eye opener! I really really hope the iPhone 6 to be exactly the same size as the iPhone 4 with a screen like this on it and perhaps a bit smaller home button or no home button at all...

Jeez this is beautiful!
Exactly what I was trying to say above.

diddl14

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Real nice tweak. I was wondering what my app might look on the rumored new screen size. Now I know :)

Since there seem to be some discussions on if/why app need to anything to be compatible with this new screen, here's my take:

Apple's auto-layout works well but most screen layouts will need some further thought.

18% more screen height (or width depending on orientation) impacts space above, below and/or between elements which simply doesn't (always) look good.

It does also offer an opportunity to display more elements, adding to the user experience of the larger screen.

Not sure on this one but I noticed that full-screen 'slide up/down' animations leave a different impression on the taller screen. I get the subjective impression that the animation duration for a slide up/down appears 'longer' on the taller screen - even if the effective duration is the same 0.5 sec... Have to play with this a bit more... (or maybe someone has an idea why this might be?)

Look forward to read other iOS developer/designer impressions!