How to attach pics to forum posts on iOS devices

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Laimbeersux, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Laimbeersux macrumors 6502

Ok, I've used iPods, iPhones, and iPads for several years now and playing with it today I finally decided to swallow my pride and ask for help. I have a simple question that I'm just not getting. How exactly do I attach a pic to a post on here or any other forum for that matter when I'm using an iOS device? I'd like to be able to take a picture on the iPhone, and post it here, attached to a post. I tried uploading the photo to Dropbox, then getting the public link to the photo, but all I ever get are the unusable links that just don't work for some reason.

I'm sure it's something simple that I'm just not doing right, and would greatly appreciate to learn how to do it. Any tips on methods or apps that would make this simple task an easier process? Thanks in advance, I'm sure I'm just making it more difficult than it needs to be. I tried searching, but couldn't really find a good thread about it.

2. SWODiphone macrumors newbie

Once the photo is uploaded to a public domain (tinypic.com photo bucket etc..) you just take the direct image link and put it inside ["IMG"]photolink["/IMG"]

You would have to remove the quotation marks and just use the brackets..I haven't tried this myself from an iOS device but I'm sure it should work

3. Laimbeersux, Sep 24, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

Laimbeersux thread starter macrumors 6502

I think my problem is that I have been trying to attach the files instead of using the image link above where you enter text for the posts. Here is a trial pic of a pic that I took in the desert one day. See if I can make it work.
    [​IMG]

Edit....not getting it right still. I copied the link from Dropbox, hit the button above to attach a pic, pasted it between the img tags, and hit submit. Not sure why it's not working, it doesn't seem that complicated.

4. SWODiphone macrumors newbie

Ahhh I'm sorry I mis-understood...The photo you posted does appear for me in the post(On a laptop) but the actual picture itself is showing up as a question mark box. Are you able to view it?

5. Bishwasher macrumors regular

Step 1: Download and install Tapatalk from App Store

Step 2: Sign in to relevant forum(s)

Step 3: Tap the 2nd icon in from the left - this brings up your standard "photos" screen.

Step 4: Select which album your photo(s) are in.

Step 5: Select relevant photo(s)

Step 6: Choose either upload to this forum or Tapatalk Hosted (not sure what the difference is but either option will allow you to post a picture.

Step 7: That's it job done:)

6. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Seems like dropbox might not be the best way to do it.

So, looks like you are embedding the dropbox page for that file, not the actual file itself.

Dropbox page:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfaola3hnjuly9f/Horseshoe Pass.jpg

Actual file
    https://dl.dropbox.com/s/cfaola3hnjuly9f/Horseshoe Pass.jpg

So, if you used that second url, it would embed... though the image is very large so it's probably not a good idea to embed it.

ideally, I was hoping to get the iOS photo uploads working with iOS 6, but haven't had a chance to get it worked out.

arn

7. Laimbeersux thread starter macrumors 6502

Part of the issue is all I think I'm having is that I'm getting is the little tiny link, not the full length link when I get it from Dropbox. I'd like to avoid spending 3 bucks on an app to browse forums, since I think this might be the only forum I browse that uses that app.

edit...the file's only just under 2mb

8. Laimbeersux thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, downloaded the tapatalk app, see if i can do it now. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1348475695.266915.jpg

9. Bishwasher macrumors regular

Yep, you've done it this time:)