Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
Hey Gary

Can you give me some details, I have been cosider a simular set up using the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite and Ubiquiti wireless access point. This would be on a BT infinity connection.

How easy is the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite to set up ?

Am I right in say that the Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite doesnt creat the wireless network ?

Hey, of course; if you have the older OpenReach VDSL Modem it would be better than the home hub; the EdgeRouter Lite has gotten a new wizard to get you up and going; it's really quite bullet proof. After that read the forums and tweak; backup; tweak; restore :)

Nope the EdgeRouter doesn't do wifi but honestly; i prefer my devices separate so you have maximum flexibility and performance.

m11rphy

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2009
Hey, of course; if you have the older OpenReach VDSL Modem it would be better than the home hub; the EdgeRouter Lite has gotten a new wizard to get you up and going; it's really quite bullet proof. After that read the forums and tweak; backup; tweak; restore :)

Nope the EdgeRouter doesn't do wifi but honestly; i prefer my devices separate so you have maximum flexibility and performance.

Hi Gary

I was thinking having the below set up

OpenReach VDSL
EdgeRouter
3 Unifi AC access points for wireless
24 Port Netgear Switch for anything that will accept ethernet

UKgaryb

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2013
Manchester, UK
Hi Gary

I was thinking having the below set up

OpenReach VDSL
EdgeRouter
3 Unifi AC access points for wireless
24 Port Netgear Switch for anything that will accept ethernet

That's probably going to be my setup when i Move house in a month or two, big old victorian coverage over 4 floors, i don';t think the Airport Extreme's will cut it, and will be nice to have PoE for the Unify, 4gon.co.uk has the 3 Pack of unify's for around £560 i think.

Splitbolt

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
I am just trying to understand something here so please bear with me.

When I had FIOS I had the 50/25 package and the Verizon red Actiontec N router.

Five rooms away (thru old plaster walls, bathrooms with metal pipes, etc.) from that router I was able to constantly get 50+/25+ on speedtest.net. I also tried downloading large files and found that the website serving the files was the bottleneck, not my wireless connection, since I was able to simultaneously download multiple big files.

Knowing this, why do so many people recommend wired connections or wireless AC to the OP who has a 25mbps connection? Shouldn't an N router (and maybe an access point or two for distance) be more than adequate? As long as he is in range of the N router or access point, wouldn't the internet connection be the bottleneck?

Thanks for the help.

monokakata

macrumors 68020
May 8, 2008
Ithaca, NY
I am just trying to understand something here so please bear with me.

When I had FIOS I had the 50/25 package and the Verizon red Actiontec N router.

Five rooms away (thru old plaster walls, bathrooms with metal pipes, etc.) from that router I was able to constantly get 50+/25+ on speedtest.net. I also tried downloading large files and found that the website serving the files was the bottleneck, not my wireless connection, since I was able to simultaneously download multiple big files.

Knowing this, why do so many people recommend wired connections or wireless AC to the OP who has a 25mbps connection? Shouldn't an N router (and maybe an access point or two for distance) be more than adequate? As long as he is in range of the N router or access point, wouldn't the internet connection be the bottleneck?

Thanks for the help.
If the only connection was from the OP's computer out to the net, then the internet connection would be the bottleneck. But if the OP wants to connect between different computers at high speed, then the internet speed connection is irrelevant. It's LAN vs WAN.

Reactions: balamw

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
But if the OP wants to connect between different computers at high speed, then the internet speed connection is irrelevant. It's LAN vs WAN.

One laptop connected to the internet over WiFi is not a "network". It's just a computer with a wireless link.

It's when you try to do stuff in the house and you have the choice between <25 Mbps (both devices on WiFi N) or 50 Mbps (only one device on WiFi) or Gigabit (both devices wired) that you see why wiring makes lots of sense.

B

Reactions: mac666er
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.