How to block imei

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cu2010, Jan 23, 2017.

  1. cu2010 macrumors 6502

    Jun 8, 2009
    new york city
    So long story short, I bought my ex (in Australia) an unlocked Verizon iPhone 7 on the condition he would pay me back. We broke up and he probably wouldn't pay me a cent for the iPhone, and now I'm hoping to find a way to blacklist the IMEI as stolen. I don't think Apple will do that and my insurance claim through amex has expired (90 days). He's using Vodafone Australia. I still have the receipt and it was paid using my credit card. Is there a way to blacklist the IMEI once I've given the phone to him?
  2. Applejuiced, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2017

    Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    I'd call the carrier and ask for further details.
    I think it has to be sold by that carrier to be able to blacklist it. And blacklisting does not cover every carrier on every country. It usually stays within that country.
    Or Just do what most ex girlfriends do.
    Pop his tires:D
  3. cu2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jun 8, 2009
    new york city
    Lol popping his tire sounds great but since he's freeloading in my apt (that's another matter) if I did that, he would have to stay here longer...

    Alas, you're right. Since Vodafone didn't sell it, they probably wouldn't blacklist IMEI...I can still file a police report (stolen) and establish a case though.
  4. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

    Sep 18, 2016
    If you gave them the phone, there is a chance the police won't do anything, especially if their is no contract. If you are still living in the same place maybe just take it back, or test the water resistance or how well it can fly....
  5. dslrjunky macrumors regular

    Apr 18, 2011
    or lock it with apple ID? I don't know if that works/applicable here..
  6. cu2010 thread starter macrumors 6502

    Jun 8, 2009
    new york city
    Right, so I won't tell the police that I have gavin this phone to him. But if I just say my ex has stolen my iPhone 7 and been using it, then the police might not get involved either.... Since the phone is used on his iCloud account, I cannot remotely lock it using find my iPhone. I can take it back while he's asleep but his find my phone is enabled, he can easily get it back from me, and if I take it back, I'm not sure what he would do... I might have to give up on $800 :/
    --- Post Merged, Jan 23, 2017 ---
    OK. Here it is..
    "Note: It's possible that some handsets sourced from somewhere other than Vodafone directly may share the same IMEI number. In cases where your request to block a handset affects another customer’s use of their device Vodafone may not block the handset."
    It's worth a shot.
  7. foxconn Suspended

    Sep 6, 2016
    these are not valid grounds to blacklist an imei.

    it was never lost or stolen. you gifted him a phone basically. i hope this gets locked.
  8. Relentless Power, Jan 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017

    Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

    Relentless Power

    Jul 12, 2016
    On a civil note, you gifted the iPhone and he is not obligated to pay/give it back To you. Unless you have a written agreement, which I'm assuming you don't have. And far as the carrier blocking the IMEI, unlikely.
  9. dslrjunky macrumors regular

    Apr 18, 2011
    this is just a bitter break up.. police or any network won't touch this with a 10 ft pole. just move on from it, tough pill to swallow, but karma has its way coming around...
  10. Phil A. Moderator

    Phil A.

    Staff Member

    Apr 2, 2006
    Shropshire, UK
    I don't think lying to the police is a particularly sensible way to resolve this: you could end up getting charged with false reporting or wasting police time!
  11. valinda macrumors 6502


    May 16, 2015
    Virginia Beach, VA
    No written contract means you basically gave him the phone. I wouldn't report it as stolen. Take it as
    a loss, and lesson learned. I would be more concerned about getting his freeloading a$$ out of the apt.
  12. laudern macrumors 6502a

    Jan 5, 2011
    Since you are both still living together, just go out, pick up some random guy, bring him home and have some fun 'all night long '. It won't get your phone back, but it would rub it in his face that some guy is getting what he use to get.
  13. DaveOP macrumors 65816

    May 29, 2011
    Portland, OR
    This is a terrible idea. You're going to lie to the police to try and "get back" at him? Break-ups suck, but this is not going to make anything feel better. It could come back to hurt you down the line too..
  14. BasicGreatGuy Contributor


    Sep 21, 2012
    In the middle of several books.
    OP: filing a theft report would be a crime.

    In order to prevail in a civil case, which this is, there has to be a contractual meeting of the minds between both parties, which is proven by written documents, recording stating such, or a verbal agreement, which turns into he said / she said.

    You gave him the phone to use. Unless the phone is under contract of service under your name, you can't do much. If it is under your name as being legally responsible, you can close the line. As for paying any amount due for the phone itself, that is on you, unless he has a spine and pays you.

    For those immature individuals encouraging the OP to commit crime with destruction of property, please think before posting such irresponsible drivel.
  15. RedOrchestra Suspended

    Aug 13, 2012
    Yet another thread of social dysfunction - lying and cheating - here's another C&W song in the making.
  16. Septembersrain, Jan 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2017

    Septembersrain Contributor


    Dec 14, 2013
    No matter if it's an ex, a friend, a stranger, a gift is a gift. If you intended for him to pay it back, you would have written up a contract. The reality is probably that you knew he wouldn't pay you back and it was okay because you were still together.

    If he's still living with you, this just sounds like you have bigger things to deal with than just the iPhone at the moment.

    Learn from this situation and please don't lie to the authorities, they've got enough legitimate work on their hands.

    Edit: Yes, you could try your hand at small claims court. It'll be based on he said/she said stuff so no guarantees you'll win.
  17. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601


    Mar 7, 2007
    Midwest America.
    And you are still 'living' with this jerk?

    Sounds like there is more than a 'stolen iPhone' here...

    I'd get the cops to throw the bum out!
  18. noobinator macrumors 603


    Jun 19, 2009
    Pasadena, CA
    Filing a false police report is a crime. I'd probably just live and learn.
  19. Rok73 macrumors 65816


    Apr 21, 2015
    Planet Earth
    So, what you want to do is report a gifted iPhone as stolen? Good luck with that. Oh and get over it.
  20. Lihp8270 macrumors regular

    Dec 31, 2016
    Please don't waste police time, dealing with property disputes from a relationship breakup. They have far more important matters to deal with.

    If it's that important, deal with it via the local civil courts.
  21. dslrjunky macrumors regular

    Apr 18, 2011
    call one of those court TV's... they'd probably!!
  22. rachelsgoldens macrumors member

    Sep 8, 2016
    Could you just take the sim card out and leave it for him and take the phone back? It probably won't be any good to you unless you have his iTunes information to unlock and erase it, but at least he wouldn't have it...
  23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere


    Apr 16, 2008
    At the iPhone hacks section.
    You should put a laxative in his drink:D
  24. nia820 macrumors 68020


    Jun 27, 2011
    Firstly, don't file a false police report. It is illegal and morallly wrong to accuse someone of a crime they didn't do. And you could wind up in jail

    Is is that serious? I know you're pissed that you brought him an iPhone and now you're broken up. But ask yourself something. If you were still together would you being worrying this much about him paying you back? It was essentially a gift.

    I don't know if you have court Tv in Australia but I would contact one if you do. Here in the states judge Judy could have settled this dispute of yours.
  25. andyp350 macrumors 6502a

    Aug 14, 2011
    I think you might just have to accept that your ex is a douche and try and move on with your life.

Share This Page