How to Boot Snow Leopard off of iPod?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by legaleye3000, Sep 21, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

How do I make my iPod bootable off of snow leopard so I can just hook up the iPod to any mac computer and just use it whenever wherever...?

Thank you.

2. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Hmm, the nearest you probably can get is iTunes + DFU mode? Otherwise, don't think SL by itself can be used to boot an iPod.

I'm not following; what is preventing you from using your iPod whenever and whereever? Doesn't it already boot into its own OS? I think I'm missing something here. :) If it's bricked, you'll probably need to do something like DFU to breathe life into and revive it. Is that why you're asking?

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I booted off my snow leopard dvd... Then I chose to install to the ipod. It wouldn't let me until I used disk utility to format the ipod as a GUID Partition Table.

It works, but the screen on the iPod keeps saying that I should connect to iTunes to do a restore...

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Because iPods aren't constructed for booting an OS. It places unnecessary strain on them and can decrease their life.

5. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Apple store employees do it... Anyone know how to do it? Thanks

6. electroshock macrumors 6502a

electroshock

Ahh, I see. So you basically want to install Snow Leopard onto an iPod (as a USB mass storage device with HFS+) and then boot a Mac off the iPod. Neat idea, but looks like you're running into roadblocks related to preventing people from accidentally trying to restore their iPod/iPhones "the wrong way". So I'm not sure. But maybe someone else here does -- perhaps an Apple Store employee.

7. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

That's exactly what I'm trying to do.

USB key= not enough space...

8. Lordedmond macrumors regular

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Whenever i tried to boot off my ipod, i got the message:

THIS IS YOUR IPOD! IT IS NOT A GOOD IDEA TO BOOT FROM THIS!

over and over again. I don't think it can be done.

10. graphicflyer macrumors newbie

Got Snow Leopard on the iPod

I got Snow Leopard on my iPod and it also appears in the Startup Disk System Preferences pane. I can than choose it and press Restart but it won't actually boot from the device. I tried already putting the iPod into Disk Mode but that did not help either.

The Method I used to get a copy of Snow Leopard onto the iPod is -> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060216225428857

Might I be missing out on something ? I am pretty sure that this is pretty close to getting it done.

Does anybody know if there might but problems using Snow Leopard and if so should I be using the old fashion Leopard 10.5 ?

Thanks
    Stephan

11. TJRiver macrumors 6502

TJRiver

Spend $50 and buy a portable usb (or firewire) drive and boot from that. They are pretty darn small and beats trashing your ipod.:D

12. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Why does everyone keep saying this will break an iPod, or trash it, or that is is not somehow good for it? The iPod has a drive, is USB, and shouldn't have a problem being used as a temporary bootable device for a Mac. Apple "geniuses" used the last generation iPod nanos to boot up machines to run some battery test application using Leopard, and it was a fairly easy process for one to do themselves. So when the company that makes the device and the software does exactly that, it's not impossible or bad or against the nature of said device.

Stop telling the OP what he should or should not do with his iPod; if you don't have anything constructive to say then don't say it. It's a perfectly legitimate question to ask if the same thing that was possible with Leopard is possible with SL. I don't own an iPod, but I would be curious to know if it works the same as well.

13. mwkingsandiego macrumors newbie

iPod as startup disk

The original issue is that the drive in disk-based iPods isn't designed for the duty cycle associated with being a start-up disk. I have my old 3rd Gen iPod (disk-based) configured to do this as an emergency boot/diagnostic tool 'just in case...' Works fine, but the OS does take up a lot of space so this would certainly diminish the ability to store music, photos, & videos. I used a freeware tool (cont remember the name) to configure the iPod with boot files, rather than installing on it from CD. I have no idea if/how this would work on a flash memory-based newer iPod (or iPhone).

14. jdechko macrumors 68040

The HDD they use in the iPod Classic is the exact same drive they use in the MacBook Air.

It won't be speedy by any means, but should be possible to do. Having it as a troubleshooting/emergency boot is a good idea if you don't have an external hard drive.

15. willpower101 macrumors regular

For future reference you should avoid threads like this.

This is interesting. Is your ipod jailbroken? (ipod touch I assume slash hope?) My iphone kept saying that but the jailbreak cleared that up, I'm thinking since the os and the storage are already partitioned off, I could parition the storage further with guid and install it, the only problem is that macs don't like booting off anything that isn't firewire.

Uhm. And the hundreds of thousands of duty cycles they go through in their life span is just fine?

Screenshot please? I don't really want to call shenanigans on you but google turns up about 1 result for this error message. You're post.

Somehow these are the only words of wisdom on this thread. Maybe if there were more users like madog on here my googl search would have taken me to an actual result instead of a bunch of people scared of the almighty Jobs.

Some of us really could care less about music photos and videos. I have no need for 16gb's of music while I'm making decisions throughout the day.

16. willpower101 macrumors regular

edit...

forgot to mention. I thought I read something recently that macs only like to boot off firewire. Eg, I didn't have good results with my usb external hard drive. Maybe get a usb to firewire adapter for the ipod. I'll try this and get back to you

17. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Intel Macs can boot from either USB or Firewire. PPC are Firewire only.

18. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

19. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Then buy a shuffle and an external hard drive.