[How To] Clean up your home screen. I just deleted 16 apps!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Nov 11, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So, today I came upon a truly AWESOME idea! Here are some ways you can eliminate some of the home screen pages you may have. Here are my tips.

1. Delete what you don't use. Even if you *think* you might use it one day, you really don't need it on your iPhone all the time. Think about it... this could be that one app that you hardly ever use except for those rare occasions that you find it useful... but during those very rare occasions, couldn't you simply re-download the app? I've done this a few times.

2. Get an iPod touch. I know this sounds strange but, I upgraded to an iPhone from an iPod touch and I didn't sell the iPod touch because I'm still emotionally attached to it... Being my first touch screen Apple device and all. I went ahead and put ALL of my iPhone games on the iPod touch! That took care of a TON of space on my iPhone. I found that I was hardly ever playing those games... they were pushed all the way to the last screen and I only used them to show off my iPhone's 3D capabilities. Now I have them all on my iPod touch! Like Apple says "Funnest iPod ever!"

3. Think really hard before you just buy an App or game. I purchased 3 or 4 racing games before I realized that they're all basically the same. There have also been times where I was bored one day and purchased a $0.99 app that I used once and didn't find the need for it ever again. Ask yourself if it's something that will get used again and again.

4. Less pages = Less scrolling. For most of my iPhone use... the first page (strictly stock Apple apps with one exception... Apple's Remote app) and the second page is only 3rd party apps... That's all I have.

5. There's also times where you may buy one app and then a month later, a similar app comes out that's even better than the first app you bought... no sense in keeping both unless they both have unique features that you need to use.

6. I deleted the apps that have ugly icons. These icons don't make my beautiful device look as nice. If the developer can't create a high quality icon or interface, then it just looks and feels cheaply made. Doesn't belong on my iPhone as far as I'm concerned (I realize not everyone feels like this).

7. You don't need a to-do App. Calendar works great for this! It gives you alerts at specified times and you can view it in list view. You can also create alarms with custom text with Clock.

8. You don't need a notes app. Use Notes from the included apps. It works fine for simple notes and you can even extract the notes by using PhoneView or a similar desktop App... or you could email them to yourself.

9. I deleted Movies.app because there's a web app that does the same thing... and the web-app can be hidden in my Safari bookmarks... there's one more icon off my home screen. Speaking of webapps. If the native app requires an internet connection and there's a web app that does the same thing... just use the web app. Facebook, myspace, and eBay all have web apps that work almost exactly like the native app. Keep those in Safari bookmarks.

That's all I have for now. If anyone has any other suggestions on how to clean up your home screen... post them here.

2. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Every app I get, I make sure to have a copy of it on iTunes, so if I'm waiting for a crucial update for one, it can wait on my PC, without taking up space on my homescreens.
    I'm with you there. I despise ugly icons. The same applies to webclips.
    I have a few on my homescreen, and all are in the bookmarks too, but those with poor or (even worse) no icon, just stay in the Bookmarks list.
    Presentation is always high on my agenda.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Just a small tip from me. Netshare. If you have Netshare just leave it on your computer. If you're ever going to use it you're going to have your computer handy anyway so you might as well just sync it down whenever it comes time to use it.

What annoys me most are the apps that come on the phone. I know that it might not be a good idea to be able to take them off the phone entirely, but I think that there should at least be a setting to disable certain apps. Especially Weather and Stocks, since those really just seemed to be there as a demo for the sort of widget-like applications Apple originally wanted developers to make. And of course the calculator since there are many, many third party apps that work so much better.

4. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

If you don't mind jailbreaking the phone, you can hide these icons using Poof! and then restore your phone and any app you've hidden remains hidden. I got rid of Stocks and Weather that way. I never used stocks and have a better weather app. Works great...again, if you don't mind jailbreaking your phone for even just a day.

5. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Jailbreak and POOF it. I downloaded a blank icon so now i have nothing on my home screen. I also downloaded the dock app and can drag from the bottom left or bottom right. Its great.

6. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I've never deleted an app from iTunes yet, so I have so many on my PC atm.
    These are how my 4 home screens are configured, with only the apps I like and use a lot.
    1: Default apps & Facebook.
    2: Utility apps/webclips.
    3: News and sport apps/webclips
    4: Games and fun apps.

Attached Files:

7. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

Yeah me too. Love those blank icons. Also Categories is good as long as you NEVER lockup and are forced to restore. What a pain to fix.

8. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

I don't think you're going to get too many people on board with the idea that in addition to the iPhone that they are spending a minimum of $2000 on for a 2 year period of time that they need a 2nd ipod just to keep their crap on when the whole point of the iphone is that it's a great phone AND a great music player.

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

yeah, that one was a bit of a stretch.
    Although with my iPhone I have found it not to be a viable replacement as an iPod as listening to music and using it as a phone wears the battery down too fast.

So I'm in the market for a new iPod and I can't decide between the 8GB iPod touch (I'm still not convinced I'd be able to do much with such a small amount of space, since I'd like to take my favorite songs, one or two movies and all my applications) or a 16GB iPod nano.... or even the classic.

10. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Wow, what wonderful tips!
    I just deleted a whole page of apps!
    If I ever need them again, I can just simply download them and stick them on my laptop and sync then to my iPhone.
    Thanks so much for having me what to keep, and what to get rid of!
    :D

11. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I guess what I meant by that is if you already have an iPod touch from upgrading to an iPhone. I know that a ton of people do it. Instead of selling it, use it like a gaming device. I also use mine to test out the latest jailbreak apps, but I haven't jailbroken my iPhone 3G yet (Well, at least not the 4th one).

12. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

I actually think this is a good thread. Thanks for starting it up!

Bryan

13. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

Do you really need a 9 step process? Just stop after the first sentence of your step 1:

1. Delete what you don't use.

Seems pretty basic to me.

14. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I didn't need to actually read the thread or the OP as the title pretty much summed it up perfectly. If you wasted time reading the OP after seeing the thread title, perhaps it's you lacking the common sense.;)

Nonetheless, it does mention something that many folks may not realize right off the bat, but apps can be re-downloaded for free, even if you're away from your sync computer, for those times where you just have to have it again. I took advantage of this to pull down a game I had deleted. I was in a waiting room and felt like playing it again.

15. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I started this thread because a lot of people have like 7 pages of Apps and then they wonder why their iPhone is going slow. It's nice to do a little bit of cleaning and getting rid of old junk you don't need anymore. I came up with some ideas and I thought it would be a nice addition to the community. I'm sorry if I wasted your time... I wasn't really going for that. There are much worse threads than this one... I actually took the time to come up with these helpful tips and for those that appreciate them (thank you) and for those that feel that it's a waste of time, don't waste more time by posting. I thought I made the title pretty clear.

16. thebez macrumors regular

If you want blank icons WITHOUT the trouble of jailbreaking just visit the web page I created and make a home screen weblink. http://blankspace.zendfree.com

17. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

I am literally blown away - I actually got something useful out of this thread. I am going to try this out right now.

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I get any app I see that looks interesting as long as its free, why the hell not? Its great fun! :)

19. rywat macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Step 1: jailbreak
    Step 2: categories
    Step 3: quickgold
    Step 4: ????
    Step 5: profit

20. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Memes on MR!!! I divided by zero, oh shi... :eek:

Apps dont run in the background so having loads of apps wont make it go slow. I know this, on my iPod touch and iPhone I have over 9000 apps (another meme!) and I notice no slowdown at all.

21. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Having a lot of pages makes the swiping animation look jumpy compared to only having 2 screens... Also, loading Settings takes longer if you have a lot of apps that have their own Settings plugin... Also, it takes longer to find the App you want if you have to scroll through 9 pages to find it. So yeah, while it might not slow down individual tasks... it does slow down the feel of the iPhone and I'm betting that 9 pages of Apps on the springboard uses a bigger chunk of RAM than having only 2 because the iPhone has to remember all of that information. The amount of RAM in the iPhone isn't much and that's why apps crash a lot. I can't even play Guitar Rock Tour half the time because it will crash unless I quit Mail and Safari and iPod first. All of that contributes to the iPhone's performance. Plus, backup times with 9 pages of Apps will take longer than 2 or 3 pages. I've NEVER experienced a long backup even on 2.0.0. To each his own though....... I hope the next iPhone gets more RAM added to it.

22. slashjunior macrumors regular

I thought all this was obvious, but I guess not. The amount of apps some people have is crazy. Ones I use most are Facebook (I am a Facebook addict and I love this app), Traffic UK (uses GPS to let you know of traffic around you, especially useful as I am always on the road) and Movies (one of the few apps I enjoy, great for finding cinemas in the area and finding out times etc. wish it would let you do other days other than the current day though). I have also replaced BBC Mobile Weather with the built in weather app because the built in weather app on iPhone and dashboard on OS X is useless for the UK.

23. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Oh noes, the animation will be jumpy? And Settings will take longer to load? I have to delete all my apps now! :eek: :rolleyes:

I dont even use backup :p

24. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I said "To each his own". If these tips don't help you at all... I'm sorry that you were disappointed by them. However, others may want some ideas. I was just trying to post something helpful and positive instead of negative. Apparently there is no pleasing some people.

25. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Its sort of a no-brainer; if you have too many apps and dont use a lot of them, uninstall them, I really dont see the need for this thread.