How to close MBP without sending it to sleep?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by YoYoMa, Feb 26, 2008.

1. YoYoMa macrumors 6502

Hey, this is my first Apple laptop and I'd like to be able to use it like my previous desktop with my external monitor. Is there a way to close the laptop without sending the computer to sleep? I don't want to have to keep the laptop open all day though as it will shorten the life of the screen. Thanks a lot.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Put it to sleep. Plug in monitor. Wake with external mouse/keyboard (BT or wired). It has to be connected to a/c, too.

When you want to go portable again, put it to sleep, then disconnect the keyboard/mouse (if wired), then monitor. It will wake and switch back to the internal display.

I'm using my MBP in that mode as I type, with BT mouse/keyboard & 20" ACD.

3. YoYoMa thread starter macrumors 6502

4. ruku macrumors member

parts in bold are unneccesary. do not put it to sleep just open your laptop and leave any usb devices plugged in. next go to display preferences which i always have in the top menu bar and go to "detect displays" takes about 6 seconds and your good.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The MBP is closed, when connected to the external monitor. Why open it if you're going to be taking it somewhere? Many more steps than necessary: open, detect displays, then close - as opposed to just "put to sleep".

But, I'll agree, the order probably doesn't matter. Just habit, I guess. That, and I don't want it wake momentarily closed, then wait for it to figure it out and go back to sleep. Guess if it wakes while still connected to the monitor, I get a warm-fuzzy as to what's going on. (some peripherals can wake when connecting or disconnecting).

6. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

An alternative to all that would be a program called InsomniaX. It alters the Energy Saver settings and doesn't allow the computer to go to sleep when closed. But then again, I can see why you everyone recommended their methods.